Author Topic: Cleveland seeking to buy riot gear for Republican National Convention  (Read 693 times)

HAPPY2BME

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Cleveland is seeking to buy 2,000 sets of riot gear, including riot-control suits and collapsible batons, as part of the city's latest move to spend a $50 million federal security grant for July's Republican National Convention.

The city this week posted to its contracting website a notice seeking bidders to provide the gear. City documents refer to the "Elite Defender" riot-control suit manufactured by HWI Gear and a 26-inch baton manufactured by Monadnock, plus 2,000 bags to carry them.

The city also wants to buy 310 sets of riot-control gear — long-sleeve jackets, gloves and shin guards —  that would be suitable for use by police riding bicycles. (Scroll to the bottom of this post to read the complete specifications for the riot gear.)

The city last week began ramping up its public process to spend the RNC security money, approved by Congress last December. The city previously has sought to buy 300 bicycles, 15 motorcycles, 25 sets of tactical armor and two horse trailers.

The city also has sought to rent about three miles of interlocking steel barriers, each 3.5 feet high, and buy another 3,250 feet of interlocking barriers that each would be 6.5 feet tall for the RNC, according to bid documents. In a brief interview on Thursday, city spokesman Dan Williams referred to at least some of these barriers as "bike racks," although manufacturer Tamis Corp. markets the barriers, branded as "Blockaders," as crowd-control devices.

The convention, scheduled for the week of July 18, is expected to attract 50,000 visitors to Cleveland. As part of its security plan, Cleveland is organizing a police force of 5,000 officers — the city is in the process of recruiting officers from surrounding suburbs and elsewhere to bolster its existing force of about 1,200. Previous conventions also have attracted political demonstrators, ranging from more than 100,000 for the 2004 RNC in New York City to less than 1,000 for the 2012 RNC in Tampa, Florida.

Because the RNC has been designated as a National Special Security Event, it is eligible to receive federal funding. Cleveland is planning convention security under the direction of the Secret Service.

City officials largely are not commenting on their convention-planning efforts.

However, Mayor Frank Jackson's administration told City Council last month that the city plans to spend roughly $30 million of the federal grant on personnel, and $20 million on equipment. The delivery deadline for the equipment is June 15, Councilman Brian Cummins wrote on his blog last month.

Cleveland City Council President Kevin Kelley recently told cleveland.com that council hopes to hold a public security briefing with federal officials sometime in March or April. The officials though, would need to receive clearance first to do so, he said.

http://www.cleveland.com/rnc-2016/index.ssf/2016/03/cleveland_seeking_to_buy_riot.html

HAPPY2BME

Re: Cleveland seeking to buy riot gear for Republican National Convention
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 06:19:19 pm »
Anyone want to dig on where the riot gear was made?

My first guess is China.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 02:10:05 am »
"Cleveland seeking to buy riot gear for Republican National Convention"

I'm guessin' that most of the riotin' is gonna be done INSIDE the convention hall!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 02:12:59 am »
"Cleveland seeking to buy riot gear for Republican National Convention"

I'm guessin' that most of the riotin' is gonna be done INSIDE the convention hall!

I think you're right.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 02:24:29 am »

Rush: Trump Voters Will Descend on Cleveland If RNC Thwarts Will of the People

IF none of the candidates get the number of delegates needed .... he won't win.  People will need to realize that he and the other candidates all fell short.  It will be very disappointing indeed. I think that is why Trump is pushing for Rubio to get out of the race.  If Rubio and Kasich stay in, this will go to convention.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 02:26:11 am »
Apparently the threat of violence from Trump supporters is not just a figment of our imagination.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 02:29:34 am »
IF none of the candidates get the number of delegates needed .... he won't win.  People will need to realize that he and the other candidates all fell short.  It will be very disappointing indeed. I think that is why Trump is pushing for Rubio to get out of the race.  If Rubio and Kasich stay in, this will go to convention.

==============================

Cruz is also calling for Rubio to fold.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 02:30:11 am »
Apparently the threat of violence from Trump supporters is not just a figment of our imagination.

================================

Apparently.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 02:31:04 am »
================================

Apparently.

I'm glad you agree with me.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 02:32:55 am »
==============================

Cruz is also calling for Rubio to fold.

Of course he is...looking at the poll numbers, if Rubio wasn't in the race, Cruz would be the front runner.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 03:56:00 am »
I'm glad you agree with me.

=================================

We agree on more than you know.

Just not on who to put up against Hillary.

Though, I will be quite disappointed if Trump doesn't prosecute her.  Statue of limitations on Federal employees doesn't expire.