Author Topic: AP: Republican Leaders Starting to See Ted Cruz as Best Anti-Trump Alternative  (Read 9101 times)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/03/06/ap-republican-leaders-starting-to-see-ted-cruz-as-best-anti-trump-alternative/

WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican leaders on Sunday grappled with the prospect that the best hope for stopping Donald Trump’s march to the nomination may be Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) – the only candidate who causes as much heartburn among party elites as the billionaire businessman, if not more.

The Texas senator split contests with Trump in Saturday’s voting, bolstering his argument that only he can defeat the real estate mogul. Trump and Cruz are now significantly outpacing Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL)  in the delegate count, further shrinking the Florida senator’s already narrow path to the nomination.

If Rubio’s slide continues, he would be the latest establishment candidate to fall victim to an angry, frustrated electorate that cares little about endorsements from party leaders or newspaper editorial boards. Rubio has rolled out both at warp speed in recent weeks, but his appeal with voters is not keeping pace.

Rubio did pick up a victory Sunday in Puerto Rico’s primary, his second win of the 2016 cycle. Democrats were holding a caucus Sunday in Maine.

The wary interest in Cruz from more mainstream Republicans is the latest unexpected twist in a GOP race where talk of a contested convention or third-party candidate is becoming commonplace.

“If Ted’s the alternative to Trump, he’s at least a Republican and conservative,” South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) said. While Graham made sure to note that it’s “not like I prefer Ted Cruz,” he encouraged Rubio and Ohio Gov. John Kasich to “decide among themselves” whether they can be a realistic alternative to Trump.

Mitt Romney, the 2012 GOP presidential nominee, said Cruz is indeed “emerging” as the chief anti-Trump candidate.

“I think a lot of people were surprised by how well Ted Cruz did,” said Romney, who has thrust himself back into the political discussion with a searing takedown of Trump in a speech last week.

Romney has stepped back into the spotlight at a moment of crisis and chaos for the Republican Party. Leaders in Washington who assumed hard-liners such as Cruz represented a minority view have been left wondering if they’re the ones out of step with voters.

For months, GOP elites have lumped Trump and Cruz together, arguing that neither could win in November’s general election. Cruz is an uncompromising conservative who has publicly criticized party leaders, including Senate Majority Leader Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY)44%
, R-Ky., for what he sees as a pattern of giving in too easily to President Barack Obama.

To many in the Senate, Cruz is seen as a colleague focused more on raising his own profile that achieving policy wins that benefit the party. He particularly angered Senate leaders when he helped orchestrate the 2013 government shutdown, which failed in achieving the senator’s stated goal of defunding Obama’s health care law.

But Cruz has built a loyal following among conservatives and evangelical Christians, and has proved to be a fundraising powerhouse during the 2016 campaign. After winning the leadoff Iowa caucuses, he’s also beaten Trump in five more states, more than any other candidate.

Trump still leads the field with at least 378 delegates, while Cruz has at least 295. Rubio and Kasich lag far behind in the race to reach the 1,237 delegates needed to clinch the Republican nomination.

Rubio and Kasich desperately need to win in their home states of Florida and Ohio on March 15 to have any credible case for staying in the race.

Trump’s lead has sparked a flurry of discussions among Republicans about complicated long-shot options to stop him. Rival campaigns are exploring ways to prevent Trump from getting the delegates he needs to win the nomination outright, then defeat him at the GOP convention in July. A small, but influential, group of Republicans has raised the idea of backing a yet-to-be-determined third-party candidate.

Trump has warned Republicans that they’ll lose his voters if they try to take the nomination away from him.

“We have a tremendous number of people coming in and a tremendous number of people showing up to vote,” he said Sunday. “The lines in all of the states that I’ve won have been, you know, record setting.”

The tumult in the Republican race is a sharp contrast to the Democratic primary, where Clinton appears to be steadily marching toward the nomination. Sanders has struggled to broaden his appeal beyond the loyal liberals and young voters attracted to his campaign.

Sanders insists he has a path to victory, particularly when voter turnout is high. “When large numbers of people come – working people, young people who have not been involved in the political process – we will do well,” Sanders said in an interview with The Associated Press.

Overall, Clinton had at least 1,123 delegates to Sanders’ 484, including superdelegates – members of Congress, governors and party officials who can support the candidate of their choice. It takes 2,383 delegates to win the Democratic nomination.

Graham and Romney spoke on NBC’s “Meet The Press.” Trump appeared on CBS’ “Face The Nation.”
The Republic is lost.

Online libertybele

Lol ..."Grappled with the prospects" that Cruz might be the best hope to stop Trump. Nothing like finally waking up...but wait...the GOPe hates Cruz!    :silly:   

Cruz 2016!  Reigniting the Promise of America!!!    :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
Lol ..."Grappled with the prospects" that Cruz might be the best hope to stop Trump. Nothing like finally waking up...but wait...the GOPe hates Cruz!    :silly:   

Cruz 2016!  Reigniting the Promise of America!!!    :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

I love it when a plan comes together.
The Republic is lost.

HAPPY2BME

AP: Republican Leaders Starting to See Ted Cruz as Best Anti-Trump Alternative

==================================

What the GOPe 'leaders' DON'T see is that Ted Cruz does not reverberate in popularity like Donald Trump does with the swing voters who are teetering between Hillary and Trump, but in no way would vote for Ted Cruz's brand of ideology.

The progressive Republicans have eroded moral Conservatives within the Republican Party to the point that the moral Conservatives are the underwhelming MINORITY withing their OWN party, and an insignificant force to NOT be reckoned with at the end of the day.

Once again, the GOPe is about to screw the pooch, the horse, and The Elephant.

Online libertybele

What the GOPe 'leaders' DON'T see is that Ted Cruz does not reverberate in popularity like Donald Trump does with the swing voters who are teetering between Hillary and Trump, but in no way would vote for Ted Cruz's brand of ideology.

The progressive Republicans have eroded moral Conservatives within the Republican Party to the point that the moral Conservatives are the underwhelming MINORITY withing their OWN party, and an insignificant force to NOT be reckoned with at the end of the day.

IF indeed moral Conservatives were  the underwhelming minority, Cruz wouldn't be in 2nd.  IF it weren't for the GOP establishment candidates, data shows Cruz would be the front runner right now.  Secondly, polls also indicate that Cruz can win over Hillary...something that 'The Donald' cannot claim.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical

Simply not true. Trump is not doing better than Cruz in a matchup with Hillary, so the claim that Trump is getting the swing voters is a myth.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Longiron

You are right Liberty, the GOPEe hate CRUZ but they FEAR TRUMP. Hope the RINOGOPe does support CRUZ after Little MARCO is done. That would be the gift that keeps on giving the rest of the Primary season. That will totally destroy CRUZ. The RINOGOPe does not get it that the people do not want establishment candidates only THEY do. They hate CRUZ but he has DONORS and they feel they can control him even though they HATE him. A good day for the TRUMP supporters when the RINOGOPe throws their DONOR dollars behind CRUZ. blij26

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Again -  the polls show Trump losing consistently to Clinton in the general.  The reason's as plain as the ears on the sides of your face (the ears you don't bother to listen with) - Trump's hated and distrusted even more than Clinton is.   And that's one heck of an accomplishment.

By contrast,  Cruz manages to best Clinton in most polls (although if the GOP really wants to nominate an electable conservative, the polls say hands down it should be John Kasich.)

Edit - I'd be curious if you could provide me with evidence of "swing voters teetering between Hillary and Trump".   Most of Trump's "new" voters are whites folks afraid of brown folks - not exactly Hillary's natural constituency, even if many say they're historically Democrats.   If Trump's not the nominee,  most will, I'll bet, not bother to vote for any candidate.       
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:47:28 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
IF indeed moral Conservatives were  the underwhelming minority, Cruz wouldn't be in 2nd.  IF it weren't for the GOP establishment candidates, data shows Cruz would be the front runner right now.  Secondly, polls also indicate that Cruz can win over Hillary...something that 'The Donald' cannot claim.

"IF it weren't for the GOP establishment candidates, data shows Cruz would be the front runner right now."

Not sure what that means. If it wasn't for Trump he would be in 1st.  If he wasn't in 2nd he could be in 3rd, too.

A great deal of Trump's support comes from people near the center, fiscal conservatives, national security conservatives, social issues moderate-live and let live. People driven out of the GOP by overemphasis on religion, etc.

Will those people vote for Cruz. Some will, but some may not.

To SOME people evangelicalism equals Tammy Faye Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart, Benny Hinn.  A LOT of people have ntoced Cruz seems to be like a preacher. His father is a preacher.

The "anointed to be a King" stuff will appear, sure as can be. a LOT of people want religion out of government.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Lando Lincoln

Again -  the polls show Trump losing consistently to Clinton in the general.  The reason's as plain as the ears on the sides of your face (the ears you don't bother to listen with) - Trump's hated and distrusted even more than Clinton is.   And that's one heck of an accomplishment.

By contrast,  Cruz manages to best Clinton in most polls (although if the GOP really wants to nominate an electable conservative, the polls say hands down it should be John Kasich.)

Edit - I'd be curious if you could provide me with evidence of "swing voters teetering between Hillary and Trump".   Most of Trump's "new" voters are whites folks afraid of brown folks - not exactly Hillary's natural constituency, even if many say they're historically Democrats.   If Trump's not the nominee,  most will, I'll bet,  crawl back under their rocks and not bother to vote for any candidate.     

Given the efforts being made here to quell the snark, your last sentence spoiled a good post.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Given the efforts being made here to quell the snark, your last sentence spoiled a good post.

Point taken, Lando.  I'll edit my post.

Online Lando Lincoln

Point taken, Lando.  I'll edit my post.

:beer: 
I'll get the next round, too!
:beer:
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The idea that they might just have to get behind Cruz must really be chapping some GOPe hide!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Most of Trump's "new" voters are whites folks afraid of brown folks - not exactly Hillary's natural constituency, even.     

Where would I find support that "white folks" are "afraid of brown folks?"

If it is your opinion, and applies to you, fine.

But claiming it pertains to others than you is ridiculous, and many take offense to such race baiting.

Still voting for Hillary, BTW?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

After this weekend, Cruz may well be the front runner even WITH the other candidates still in the race.

He's gaining steam, and YES, he beats Hillary and Trump doesn't.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Where would I find support that "white folks" are "afraid of brown folks?"

If it is your opinion, and applies to you, fine.

But claiming it pertains to others than you is ridiculous, and many take offense to such race baiting.

Trump's rhetoric is intended to exploit white folks' fears about brown folks.  That's what "race-baiting" is, btw,  not my pointing out such race-baiting.  Trump's certainly seems to be winning the support of white nationalists.  If you don't like the company that Trump keeps,  then let that influence your choice whether or not to support him. 

Still voting for Hillary, BTW?

No, but thank you for asking.  I'm still voting for John Kasich.   

Offline NavyCanDo

I'm not looking for the "anti-Trump" Candidate. I'm looking for the anti-Hillary Candidate, especially after hearing her scream out her hatred for second amendment defenders in last night's debate. I don't like Trump - but more important than that is, I doubt very much that he can beat her.   I'm placing my hopes and my donations in those candidates that can. Cruz and Rubio.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline GAJohnnie

Simply not true. Trump is not doing better than Cruz in a matchup with Hillary, so the claim that Trump is getting the swing voters is a myth.

Sure ignore the actual voter turns out numbers. Cling to the polls instead.

Next two weeks are the big test for Cruz. he is going  to have to show some ability to win contested state Primaries convincingly  rather then caucuses in small states or dark red states.

National elections are not won with just the choir. Cruz has yet to demonstrate an ability to win outside his  choir loft.

Offline musiclady

Next two weeks are the big test for Cruz. he is going  to have to show some ability to win contested state Primaries convincingly  rather then caucuses in small states or dark red states.

National elections are not won with just the choir. Cruz has yet to demonstrate an ability to win outside his  choir loft.

There have been no votes cast between Hillary and Donald.  All we HAVE are polls.

(Trump wins 'outside his choir loft' because he's a Democrat running as a Republican.  His "choir loft" is among Progressives).
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Trump's rhetoric is intended to exploit white folks' fears about brown folks.  That's what "race-baiting" is, btw,  not my pointing out such race-baiting.  Trump's certainly seems to be winning the support of white nationalists.  If you don't like the company that Trump keeps,  then let that influence your choice whether or not to support him. 

I have to disagree with you on that one, Jazz.  Controlling illegal immigration is not racist.  It just isn't.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Longiron wrote above:
"You are right Liberty, the GOPEe hate CRUZ but they FEAR TRUMP."

The GOPe fears Trump because they know they can't control him.

The GOPe hates Cruz, but will embrace him because they THINK they can control him...

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The GOPe hates Cruz, but will embrace him because they THINK they can control him... 

If they can't control him, they'll turn on him and push Kasich.  If that fails, they'll go to the mattresses and select Romney through a brokered convention.  (Just MHO  ^-^ )

A-Lert

I'll bet Trump's businesses don't employ a single, brown, red, orange  or yellow skinned person. /s

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical

Prim

So then how DO you know that Trump will do better than Cruz against Hillary? What is your documented, demonstrated data? Primaries and the general are not the same thing.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Not true, Johnnie.  Cruz's win in Maine, for instance, was not from among "evangelicals", however you tend to define that.