Author Topic: Soldiers Being FORCED to Remove Combat Patches From Uniforms  (Read 2164 times)

rangerrebew

Soldiers Being FORCED to Remove Combat Patches From Uniforms
« on: March 06, 2016, 09:54:20 pm »
Soldiers Being FORCED to Remove Combat Patches From Uniforms

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/soldiers-furious-at-what-their-commanders-are-ordering-them-to-strip-from-their-uniforms

By Robert Gehl

Soldiers are livid after being told to remove their combat patches in an attempt to be “welcoming” to new recruits.

It’s an insane move that goes against the unofficial combat patch creed: “You earn it. You keep it. You wear it.” But that’s apparently the policy now for Fort Carson’s 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team.

Soldiers are told to strip their uniforms bare to the bone, only showing the name, rank, American Flag, U.S. Army tape and the 4th Infantry Division insignia, the Army Times is reporting.

According to officials, the move is designed to promote a “unified army culture.”

Brigade Commander Col. David Hodne issued the requirement. He told the Colorado Gazette it’s not about making new recruits feel jealous.

The colonel said he made the switch for a couple of reasons. One was to welcome new blood.

Hodne’s unit, which has seen a radical reorganization over the past year from tanks and Bradley Fighting Vehicles to eight-wheeled Strykers, is loaded with brand-new privates whose uniforms are bare of insignia. Instead of standing out, the new guys look like everyone else in training.

“It’s about the collective, it’s not about the individual,” Hodne explained during a training exercise last week at Fort Carson’s Piñon Canyon Maneuver Site east of Trinidad.

He also wants to send a message to veterans who have as much gear decorating their uniform as the brigade’s boss.

“Character counts more than your resume,” he said. “It’s heart more than what you did five or six years ago.”

The uniform change is a subtle reminder to all the brigade’s soldiers that they have to keep learning to keep up with the emerging threats of a still dangerous world, Hodne said.

After training, soldiers will go back to displaying their impressive achievements. But in the field, they are all the same.

“It goes back to culture,” Hodne said.

Soldiers, though, are not pleased with the new policy. The Independent Journal Review asked several vets how they felt. This was their reaction:

U.S. Army Iraq war veteran Drew Norman:

“This was obviously started by officers without combat time. This isn’t about making the new guys feel welcome, it’s about making the new officers feel superior.

The fact that we have 22 year old college kids ordering 18 year multiple combat tour veterans and lecturing them on war tells you all you need to know about how broken our commissioning system is.”

U.S. Army Afghan war veteran Stephen Carroll:

“I think it’s an absolutely horrid idea. Simply because some of them don’t fall into the group of those who have gone down range doesn’t mean that everyone else should hide what they’ve done. It’s the military, not a group of middle school students.”

U.S. veteran Michael Mumford, who used more colorful language:

“When I was a cherry ass boot we got hazed, beat up and fu*ked with. I admit I hated it but once I had earned my place in the platoon it felt better than any award the Army has ever given me. Inclusiveness isn’t the problem.

The problem is our leadership is soft, only cares about their careers and we lost all the men we respect to the social experiment parade and we don’t feel like we fu*king belong anymore.”
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 09:55:06 pm by rangerrebew »

Bill Cipher

Re: Soldiers Being FORCED to Remove Combat Patches From Uniforms
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 09:56:56 pm »
If true that is so stupid.  Having badges and the like that recognize contribution give new recruits something concrete to aim for.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 10:01:14 pm »
Is the general gonna remove all the bullshit off his uniform too?  Some how I doubt it.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 10:14:10 pm »
Is the general gonna remove all the bullshit off his uniform too?  Some how I doubt it.

Apparently he comes from the Joe Paterno school on plane Jane uniforms.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 10:17:20 pm »
Apparently he comes from the Joe Paterno school on plane Jane uniforms.

Uh, I see he didn't cash in his Ranger tab. Won't that makje the recruits feel unloved and inferior?
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 11:19:16 pm »
The fact that we have 22 year old college kids ordering 18 year multiple combat tour veterans and lecturing them on war tells you all you need to know about how broken our commissioning system is.”

I hope this isn't an effect of the "Participation Trophy generation" now main streaming the Army.  :shrug:

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 03:11:31 pm »
101st Airborne leaders rescind order for soldiers to remove combat patches during training.

The 101st Airborne Division’s 3rd Brigade Combat Team has rescinded a directive requiring soldiers to remove their combat patches during a unit training exercise.

Soldiers in one of the brigade’s subordinate units on Tuesday “were given a directive to remove their combat patches in order to ‘build cohesion’ during a unit gunnery exercise at Fort Knox, Kentucky,” the division announced in a press release Friday.

The brigade leadership has since rescinded the directive, and soldiers from the unit have been allowed to wear their combat patches.

“This was a well-intended action taken by a leader that was not well thought out and was quickly corrected,” said Brig. Gen. Scott Brower, the division’s acting senior commander, in a statement. “This division is amongst the most storied, battle-tested and prideful in all the Army. We are proud of all of our combat veterans and never want to take for granted their efforts and sacrifices.”

Friday’s announcement follows reports, including one on Thursday by Army Times, that some soldiers in the brigade had been required to remove their combat patches. On Thursday, brigade leaders were unaware of any such directive; the units involved in the gunnery exercise were en route to Fort Knox and could not immediately be reached.

http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/careers/army/2016/03/04/101st-airborne--combat-patches-training/81338242/