Author Topic: How Trump killed the Reagan Mystique  (Read 6508 times)

Offline sinkspur

How Trump killed the Reagan Mystique
« on: March 03, 2016, 02:17:22 pm »
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/how-trump-killed-the-reagan-mystique-213696

How Trump Killed the Reagan Mystique

It's official. For the GOP, fealty to the Gipper is no longer the price of entry.

By RICH LOWRY March 02, 2016

If there’s anything we thought we knew about the GOP, it is that it is the party of Reagan.

Paying obeisance to Ronald Reagan — his memory, his accomplishments, his policies — has long been the price of entry to Republican presidential politics. Yet here comes Donald Trump, who gives no indication of caring or knowing the slightest about Reagan’s legacy, and he has rampaged to front-runner status in the GOP presidential race anyway.

It is like Trump set out to kick down the door of the House of Reagan and the structure teetered to the brink of collapse, more decrepit than anyone had noticed.

Trump will make occasional reference to Reagan, although all he seems to know about him is that he used to be a Democrat — just like you know who. Often when Trump mentions Reagan, he refers to him as “somewhat” conservative, apparently unaware of the Gipper’s long career as a leader of the conservative movement, defending and representing views considered outrageously right wing at the time.

What Trump has discovered by accident is that many conservatives aren’t as attached to conservative policies as they seemed; that labels don’t mean much to voters; that you can bring new people into the Republican coalition instead of playing by the old rules; and that at least a significant plurality of Republican primary voters don’t care whether you bend your knee to the memory of Ronald Reagan or not.

In fact, Trump is showing how a secular Northeastern moderate can threaten for the Republican nomination as long as he says he’s pro-life and pro-gun and taps voter anger and the right’s hatred of the media. It is astonishing that Trump has signaled that everything is negotiable and he will be the consummate deal-maker and yet has gotten air cover from elements of the conservative media that, until now, were most hostile to perceived ideological deviations and to Washington deal-making. Ladies and gentlemen, don’t try this at home.

For their part, Trump’s rivals are — for admirable and understandable reasons — beholden to a Reagan nostalgia that has long been prevalent on the right.

A CNBC analysis last October found that Reagan had been invoked in every Republican presidential debate going back to 1999. Reagan was mentioned more than 60 times by candidates and moderators at the September debate at the Reagan presidential library.

The Reagan references stir the hearts of the old faithful (like me). But with every passing year, they become a little less relevant to everyone else. Reagan left office 27 years ago. About a third of Americans weren’t alive when Reagan was president. Someone just old enough to cast his first vote for Reagan in 1980 is 54 years old today.

It isn’t why they are losing, but Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio have been fighting back against Trump with messages that run in well-worn ruts. It’s always a shining city on a hill. And morning again in America. Such is the hold that the morning-again theme has on the Republican imagination that, bizarrely, Rubio ran a Morning Again in America ad — about how bad things are in the country.

Is it too much to ask that Republican politicians come up with some of their own lines? At times, Cruz sounds like the entire rationale of his candidacy is to reassemble what he calls “the old Reagan coalition.” Meanwhile, Trump is putting together a new coalition by not talking about Reagan at all.

Conservatives need to realize that all of America is not the CPAC ballroom. To save Reaganism, conservatives must broaden and deepen our understanding of Reagan. He didn’t insist on calling himself a Reagan Republican, as if that clinched any arguments. He didn’t even refer to himself as a conservative very often, according to his biographer Steve Hayward.

As conservative writer Dan McLaughlin notes, “Reagan didn’t go around on the stump pledging fealty to conservative ideals, but rather explaining why his ideas would work in practice and why they were common-sense positions in line with what the voters already believed in, what had worked previously in practice, and what had long been traditional in America.”

A new, updated version of this approach is imperative, given the new voters identified by Donald Trump and the blue-collar discontent that he has made impossible to ignore. Like Reagan did, we must adopt conservative policies that address the problems of today — and sell them not as the artifacts of an ideological orthodoxy, but as practical solutions. We must reject Trump and his grotesque distortions of conservatism, while paying heed to his voters.

At a CPAC speech in 1977, Reagan talked about broadening the party: “If we are to attract more working men and women of this country, we will do so not by simply ‘making room’ for them, but by making certain they have a say in what goes on in the party.”

That has to be the attitude of the GOP and of the non-Trump presidential candidates. If they don’t understand that out of self-interest or basic political horse sense, well, there’s always another compelling reason: It is what Ronald Reagan would do.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/how-trump-killed-the-reagan-mystique-213696#ixzz41qiDgIYn
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline GAJohnnie

Re: How Trump killed the Reagan Mystique
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 03:05:30 pm »
Ah sink what a sad and sorry little person you are.

Ronald Reagan has words for you and your despeate attempt to destory Trump.

“A man who is 75-80% on my side is a valued friend and ally, not my enemy”.

Conservatives  want the USA to be great. Trump does too. The Clinton/Sanders Democrats thinks the USA is rotten and needs fundamental transformation to "make ti fair".

Conservatives share a commonalty of interests with Trump that they can find no where with the Clinton/Sander ideas. It is sad that some of you are so dangerously overwrought emotionally about Trump that you think cutting off your poltical nose to spite your face is the path of wisdom.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 03:12:34 pm »
What's next? Trump killed Lincoln? Trump caused the Johnstown flood? Cheez!
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 03:13:20 pm »

Conservatives  want the USA to be great. Trump does too. The Clinton/Sanders Democrats thinks the USA is rotten and needs fundamental transformation to "make ti fair".

Conservatives share a commonalty of interests with Trump that they can find no where with the Clinton/Sander ideas. It is sad that some of you are so dangerously overwrought emotionally about Trump that you think cutting off your poltical nose to spite your face is the path of wisdom.

Nice of you to start with one of your nasty little ad hominems.  Did you even read the article?

It makes some good points about the non-Trump candidates, and how Reagan is becoming a distant memory, so that new phrases and actual Reaganism might be best utilized rather than words that have been bantered around.

I think the author underestimates Cruz and what he is doing and saying, but maybe that's because he's been drowned out by a loudmouth.

As for the 75-80%........  Trump isn't even close to that amount of conservatism.  In fact, in most areas he is to the far left, and as such, a danger to the Republic and our survival, just like any other leftist is.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 03:13:44 pm »
What's next? Trump killed Lincoln? Trump caused the Johnstown flood? Cheez!

You didn't read the article either, did you?

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 03:16:33 pm »
You didn't read the article either, did you?

I did. Apparently humor is in shorter supply around here than I thought.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 03:20:31 pm »

You know, this is a personal attack and is not supposed to be allowed here.  But I'm not going to report it because I want everyone to see it.

Your pompous self-righteousness is really annoying.  I said nothing to you, just posted an article.

Trump is out for Trump. He could care less about you and me.  You ignore his past, hoping he'll change.

He won't.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 03:24:39 pm »

So, truth is not a defense?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 03:32:54 pm »
I did. Apparently humor is in shorter supply around here than I thought.

Most Trump supporters' only humor is derision.  What you said fit that template.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 03:36:50 pm »
Most Trump supporters' only humor is derision.  What you said fit that template.

I assume you Lite Cruzers and Boobios referring to us as brownshrts, low intellect voters, fascists, racists etc., does not constitute derision? If not, pray tell what IT does constitute? If you guys can dish it, you can take it.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 03:40:29 pm »
I assume you Lite Cruzers and Boobios referring to us as brownshrts, low intellect voters, fascists, racists etc., does not constitute derision? If not, pray tell what IT does constitute? If you guys can dish it, you can take it.

They are shameless in their attacks on Trump supporters, aren't they? But, when they're called on it, it's  :whistle:

IF TRUMP WINS THE PRIMARY:

888ohnoes

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 03:51:32 pm »

"You guys" does not apply to me.  I haven't called anyone here any of those things.

And your response WAS derisive.  So I guess you have to deal with appropriate responses to it, eh?  :patriot:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 03:53:57 pm »
They are shameless in their attacks on Trump supporters, aren't they? But, when they're called on it, it's  :whistle:

So, you're personally calling me "shameless?" 

Trump has turned a very nice guy into a not-so-nice guy.   **nononono*   

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 04:00:04 pm »

I genuinely find it hilarious that most Trump supporters are behind him because he is allegedly giving the shaft to the GOPe, a group that has consistently lied to all of us over the last decade, yet when it comes to people who distrust Trump because his positions today are diametrically opposed to what he said as little as a year ago, we are fools for not believing him.

Is he really 75-80% behind me? As far as I am concerned, it depends on what day you ask him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/08/17/20-times-donald-trump-has-changed-his-mind-since-june/

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 05:18:08 pm »
"You guys" does not apply to me.  I haven't called anyone here any of those things.

And your response WAS derisive.  So I guess you have to deal with appropriate responses to it, eh?  :patriot:

I do love the way, on the one hand, you guys, use words and phrases like "MOST Trump supporters" as a dodge to say "not me" about derisory [or worse] attacks aimed at us; but then, when one of us uses the word "they" referring to folks supporting the other guys, claim it's aimed at you personally. Sorry can't have it both ways. If we get tarred with a broad brush, so do you. and you folks have earned a great deal more tar.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 05:32:17 pm »
I do love the way, on the one hand, you guys, use words and phrases like "MOST Trump supporters" as a dodge to say "not me" about derisory [or worse] attacks aimed at us; but then, when one of us uses the word "they" referring to folks supporting the other guys, claim it's aimed at you personally. Sorry can't have it both ways. If we get tarred with a broad brush, so do you. and you folks have earned a great deal more tar.

This one paints with a very broad brush:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,197149.msg799547.html#msg799547

No woman should support this vile excuse for a man.

Nor should any self-respecting man.

As written, that includes every male and female Trump supporter on the forum.   :whistle:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 05:35:49 pm »

I guess the issue is the understanding, or misunderstanding, of the English language.  The word 'some' actually does refer to 'some,' the word 'most' means 'most,' and the word 'all' means 'all.'  The phrase 'you guys' normally refers to everyone in the category.

When these words are used appropriately and objectively, then the kind of misunderstanding that you (in particular, not in general) now have won't occur.

Most Trump supporters are derisive.  All are not.  It's not that complicated.  Derision is a form of humor, but not at all funny to anyone except the small group who is agrees with the derision.

Obama's derision is a case in point.  He thinks he's very funny, but he's not at all funny to the people he's ridiculing (you and me).

If what I said doesn't apply to you, then don't take offense.   But be careful not to do what you accuse us of doing, and  use sweeping generalities such as "you guys," without any disclaimer that you are not referring specifically to the person with which you are conversing.

:patriot:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 05:38:10 pm »
This one paints with a very broad brush:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,197149.msg799547.html#msg799547

As written, that includes every male and female Trump supporter on the forum.   :whistle:

Thanks for reminding me of a singular broad brush statement which I made, katzenjammer.   :beer:

I actually still agree with that, since Trump is a hate-filled misogynist who puts down women and calls us nasty names.

(Oh, and I assume I'm "this one," since you didn't have the courtesy of replying to me directly.  No problem.  I'm bright, and I figured it out.  :beer: )

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 05:44:25 pm »
Thanks for reminding me of a singular broad brush statement which I made, katzenjammer.   :beer:

I actually still agree with that, since Trump is a hate-filled misogynist who puts down women and calls us nasty names.

(Oh, and I assume I'm "this one," since you didn't have the courtesy of replying to me directly.  No problem.  I'm bright, and I figured it out.  :beer: )

The "one" referred to this "post," my apologies, I should have been more clear in my word choice!   :seeya:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 05:50:43 pm »
The "one" referred to this "post," my apologies, I should have been more clear in my word choice!   :seeya:

This part of the post is the reason for the excerpt you quoted:

Anyone who doesn't know yet that Donald Trump is a misogynist who calls women filthy names and demeans us at every turn, has his or her eyes sealed shut.

Context makes a difference.  And yes, that was a pretty broad brush, but based on the fact that Trump is on record as having said vile things about women.   I suppose you can be 'self-respecting' and not care about that, but in my view, that's pretty tough to do.  You just have to not care that he demeans women to still support him, after you find out what he really thinks of us.

A lot of women didn't care about Clinton either, so I guess it's not without precedence to not care that your candidate belittles and demeans half the population........

HonestJohn

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 06:29:08 pm »

Your main arguement:

...doesn't hold water as Trump is not on the Conservative (ie: William Buckley, Adam Smith, Milton Friedman) side in the slightest.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 06:46:08 pm »

Speaking of word choice........ I am always careful with mine.....  This is what I said.....

No woman should support this vile excuse for a man.

Nor should any self-respecting man

The word "should" clearly indicates that what I said is my opinion.

Does saying that I think no one "should" mean that I think no one does?  Absolutely not.

I don't believe that any self-respecting woman should support a candidate who doesn't respect women.  That does NOT mean that I believe that every woman who supports Trump lacks self-respect.  In fact, it indicates that I know that some self-respecting women DO support him, but that I believe they should not.  Again, opinion.

So even at worst, it doesn't implicate everyone on this forum, as you said it did.

Now..... another question for you, katz.  Your post made me curious.  Do you keep some sort of file of my posts at the ready so that you can use them against me on any random thread?  If so, that's just a tad disturbing.  Or possibly you were fed the link by someone else to use against me?  Even more disturbing.

I haven't had anyone play that game with me since TOS (one of the many reasons I left there).  I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you just happened upon that thread with that post of mine and there was no underhandedness going on.

I hope I'm right..........

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 06:52:14 pm »

"There you go again...."...Ronald Reagan

Not everything posted about the Trump-HATERS is about you.

Feeling guilty, dear?    {rhetorical}    :whistle: 

How's THAT for "courtesy"?   
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 06:57:11 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2016, 06:54:12 pm »
So, you're personally calling me "shameless?" 

Trump has turned a very nice guy into a not-so-nice guy.   **nononono*

MusicLady.  I love you dearly, but you're pissing me off.

You're like a Democrat yelling "Racist" at the least bit of critical truth about the anti-Trump faction in here....trying to silence us. 

Please stop...and come down from your cross.   
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 06:54:52 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2016, 07:05:16 pm »
MusicLady.  I love you dearly, but you're pissing me off.

You're like a Democrat yelling "Racist" at the least bit of critical truth about the anti-Trump faction in here....trying to silence us. 

Please stop...and come down from your cross.

The problem with your analysis is that the "anti-Trump faction" is made up of a series of individuals, just as the pro-Trump "faction" is.  Unless qualifiers are used, and meant, then there will be nothing but meaningless arguments.

But let me tell you something, DC...... your implying that I believe I'm on a Cross, since you know what I believe about the One who died there, is really out of line.   You can say a whole lot of negative things about me, but that's not one that I'm going to let you get away with.

There are a whole lot of martyr complexes among the individuals on your side too, so any accusation of me can be turned around and be just as, or more accurate.

Watch out for boomerangs.  They hurt.