Author Topic: Open Warfare: Romney calls Trump ‘a phony, a fraud’; Trump calls Romney ‘failed candidate’  (Read 16219 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Pot kettle black Romney.

What you're doing will have the opposite effect you intend.

Time to move along now.
The Republic is lost.

Offline EdinVA

Romney really stepped in it.. he even pissed off the talking heads on foxnews...  :silly:

HAPPY2BME

Mitt Romney was, for a long time, just another Donald Trump enabler.

Mitt Romney's name has been bandied about in some quarters as a possible Republican savior: the man who could either enter the race at the last moment or emerge victorious during a contested convention. Widely seen as competent and sturdy, not to mention opposed to racism and hate-mongering, Romney, the thinking goes, would allow the Republican establishment an ultimate victory over Donald Trump. Social media even exploded in excitement on Wednesday with the news that Romney would deliver a speech on the state of the presidential campaign on Thursday morning in Utah.

Romney would likely be a better general election candidate than Trump, but he was a far-from-perfect nominee last time, and wouldn’t stand much of a chance if he entered the race this time. Nor would he necessarily be particularly strong if he somehow emerged from the convention as the party’s standard-bearer, overriding the substantial number of voters who supported Trump. But what’s even worse, and less talked about amid his Twitter warring with Trump, is that his response to the front-runner has displayed all the same symptoms of the establishment’s response: fits and starts, hypocrisy, and very little grand strategy. Romney is less a cure for the GOP’s problems than a symptom of what ails the party.

The Republican establishment has viewed Trump as everything from a nuisance who must be appeased, to a demagogue, to the man who could potentially destroy the party. Romney has mirrored this progression. In 2012, after Trump had flirted with running for the presidency before abandoning the idea, Romney felt the need to seek the businessman’s endorsement, holding an event with him and receiving his blessing. This was well after Trump had used the so-called “birther” issue to drum up media coverage for himself, one of many examples of Trump’s bigotry that Romney now decries in appropriately moralistic fashion. Like the entire Republican establishment and its ideological allies in the media who have found themselves “shocked, shocked” by the Trump campaign’s dark turn, Romney was, for a long time, just another enabler.

Now Romney is going after Trump with real passion, blasting him for his bigotry, and saying he represents a threat to the party. But Romney, who has long been mocked for his undying ambition to become president, seems to be just as calculating as everyone else in his anti-Trump response. Like a number of Republican bigwigs who stayed on the sidelines throughout the early primary contests, Romney never endorsed Bush or Rubio or anyone else. He met with many of the candidates, but never chose anyone, nor did he encourage his fundraisers to get behind a candidate. Romney remains popular in New Hampshire, where Trump was up big, but said almost nothing on the eve of the primary.

And now, as Trump has gone from slight favorite to overwhelming favorite to win the nomination in the past several weeks, Romney still appears to be calculating.

His team is saying that his speech on Thursday in Utah will include neither an endorsement, nor an announcement that he is at long last going to try to run—as a Republican or on a third-party ticket. It’s unclear why Romney, who is obviously passionate about the election, refuses to endorse, but here is one theory: that convention scenario. Endorsing someone now would make it much harder for Romney to eventually emerge as a peacemaker.

Fair enough, you might say: He wants to maintain his viability. But this is precisely the problem that all the candidates who are actually running have had. None of them wants to step aside for the greater good of stopping Trump; all of them are sticking around in the slim hope that they can be the eventual, lone anti-Trump alternative. In short, Romney isn’t much different than Rubio or Kasich or anyone else. And none of them seem likely to vanquish Trump, either.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/03/mitt_romney_can_t_save_the_gop_from_trump.html

HAPPY2BME

Mitt Romney Concession Speech: 2012 Presidential Election GOP Candidate Delivers Remarks from Boston

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQruYgVP2SY

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
What I'm trying to say is that there's a hell of a lot that seems to have gone on in Cruz's campaign that he doesn't seem to know about. Sleazy stuff. What's he like, Obama? Doesn't see it 'til he reads it in the paper. And say what you will about Trump [and you will], his campaign doesn't seem to have any of the Cruz 'mishaps attached to it.

Because of all the mishaps coming out of Trump's mouth on a daily basis? What is there left for his campaign to do?

Cruz's 'sleaze' was just an overhyped, drama queened nothing burger by Trump very sleazily trying to create the impression of sleaze in the Cruz campaign.
The Republic is lost.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Thanks Happy - for soldiering on.  I can hardly speak right now, as mad as I have ever been.  May God have mercy on us!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Carling

Because of all the mishaps coming out of Trump's mouth on a daily basis? What is there left for his campaign to do?

Cruz's 'sleaze' was just an overhyped, drama queened nothing burger by Trump very sleazily trying to create the impression of sleaze in the Cruz campaign.

As a Cruz supporter, I could say the same think about 99% of the attacks on Trump I read here.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline PzLdr

I guess the GOPe wants to force Trump to announce a 3d party bid, so they can claim he reneged on the pledge, and go about their business. Stupid, but a plan. If nothing else, the GOP has clearly demonstrated that a candidate who has played by the rules, but doesn't fit their self-image, and those supporting him, are not wanted in their incredibly shrinking 'big tent'. It's obvious they have no intention of conducting a fair and impartial selection process.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
As a Cruz supporter, I could say the same think about 99% of the attacks on Trump I read here.

Yep, most don't hit the target.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Paladin

Quite amazing really. The GOPe is obviously totally distraught and Romney has been chosen as its hitman. Why wasn't he as exercised and outspoken when he ran against Obama? Wouldn't a speech of this kind against Hillary do more for the GOP than attacking someone who may be the next Republican nominee? Endorse whomever you think ought be nominated, state why, fine.  But eviscerate a fellow Republican who is leading?

It's quite plain the GOPe would prefer to destroy the Party than allow an outsider they cannot control be the nominee.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
What I'm trying to say is that there's a hell of a lot that seems to have gone on in Cruz's campaign that he doesn't seem to know about. Sleazy stuff. What's he like, Obama? Doesn't see it 'til he reads it in the paper. And say what you will about Trump [and you will], his campaign doesn't seem to have any of the Cruz 'mishaps attached to it.

That may be the perception, but when you look into specifics, they turn out to be nothing or very minor.  And, Cruz, to my knowledge, hasn't played dumb - he's taken action in both of the cases that you mentioned.

You think maybe it's possible that someone(s) may want to paint him as a bad candidate?   :pondering:

Offline alicewonders

Plain as day and bears repeating OVER AND OVER -

The GOP will fight their own harder than they will ever fight a Democrat.

Offline aligncare

In the past I've said that if Trump goes third-party that that would be a mistake and I would not follow him.

That all changed today.

Offline Paladin

Plain as day and bears repeating OVER AND OVER -

That's true, unfortunately, and has me very concerned about our fortunes come November.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline EdinVA

Romney's facebook page... funny..

https://www.facebook.com/mittromney

Just a sample of the comments:
... THANK YOU Mitt for just making up my mind to vote for Trump. Someone should put a muzzle on Mitt if you want to stop the bleeding.  How dare you insult the American people and their voting choice. Shame on you and your elite Washington snobs.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 05:37:44 pm by EdinVA »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Quite amazing really. The GOPe is obviously totally distraught and Romney has been chosen as its hitman. Why wasn't he as exercised and outspoken when he ran against Obama? Wouldn't a speech of this kind against Hillary do more for the GOP than attacking someone who may be the next Republican nominee? Endorse whomever you think ought be nominated, state why, fine.  But eviscerate a fellow Republican who is leading?

It's quite plain the GOPe would prefer to destroy the Party than allow an outsider they cannot control be the nominee.

From what I have heard Romney is the first of several prominent Repubs to do this between now and Mar 15th.....let's see how this plays out, it may be the GOP's first and last attempt at this.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PzLdr

In the past I've said that if Trump goes third-party that that would be a mistake and I would not follow him.

That all changed today.

As we say in Yonkers, "I'm wich yew"!
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline katzenjammer

As we say in Yonkers, "I'm wich yew"!

"I'm wit boat of yew!"

Offline Carling

From what I have heard Romney is the first of several prominent Repubs to do this between now and Mar 15th.....let's see how this plays out, it may be the GOP's first and last attempt at this.

Basically we'll see a parade of GOPe losers telling the voters they view as idiots to not vote for Trump because he's a loser.

I'm done with them all.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

HAPPY2BME

The GOPe is cracking up.  I oppose Trump, but all of this alarmism is just solidifying his support and creating sympathy for the guy.

============================================

You have been paying attention.

Please.  More attacks.

Offline alicewonders

Offline EdinVA

"I'm wit boat of yew!"

My new york speak is kinda weak.. where is my NY to american translator... :)

HAPPY2BME

Just a sample of the comments:
... THANK YOU Mitt for just making up my mind to vote for Trump. Someone should put a muzzle on Mitt if you want to stop the bleeding.  How dare you insult the American people and their voting choice. Shame on you and your elite Washington snobs.

=============================================

Every time Karl Rove opens his rat trap, the GOPe loses 100,000 votes.

Every time Mitt Romney does, Hillary Clinton does cartwheels.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Thanks Happy - for soldiering on.  I can hardly speak right now, as mad as I have ever been.  May God have mercy on us!

Mitt Romney Takes on Donald Trump:

Offline PzLdr

My new york speak is kinda weak.. where is my NY to american translator... :)

Right friggin' here!