Author Topic: Sarah Palin endorsement fails as Ted Cruz beats Donald Trump to win Alaska  (Read 1377 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/mar/2/palin-endorsement-doesnt-carry-trump-to-alaska-win/

By Becky Bohrer - Associated Press - Wednesday, March 2, 2016

JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — A high-profile endorsement from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin couldn’t deliver this state for Donald Trump as Ted Cruz won the Alaska Republican presidential preference poll.

Cruz, a U.S. senator from Texas, edged the national GOP front-runner in Alaska for his third win of Super Tuesday. Trump was still the night’s big Republican winner with victories in seven states. U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, who finished third in Alaska, won one state.

The other two candidates on Tuesday’s ballot in Alaska — John Kasich and Ben Carson — did not garner enough support to win any delegates.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Awesome!
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

It would be fun to see a chart of Palin's approval. As Governor, as VP candidate, after resigning and using the state for a backdrop for her media career, etc.

I think she is below her peak, and that would partly be resentment for her making it all about herself (and her weird family).
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

HAPPY2BME

It would be fun to see a chart of Palin's approval. As Governor, as VP candidate, after resigning and using the state for a backdrop for her media career, etc.

I think she is below her peak, and that would partly be resentment for her making it all about herself (and her weird family).

==================================

That's it in a nutshell.

Offline EdinVA

Cruz "won" by 530 votes and was awarded 12 delegates, Trump got 11 delegates....

Not much of a win in my book.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elections/2016/primary-caucus/alaska
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 05:00:30 pm by EdinVA »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Cruz "won" by 530 votes and was awarded 12 delegates, Trump got 11 delegates....

You understand that we are nearly a third of the way in to allocating delegates, and Trump only has a quarter? He's way behind the curve, and nothing suggests he's going to outperform from here to catch up.
The Republic is lost.

Offline EdinVA

You understand that we are nearly a third of the way in to allocating delegates, and Trump only has a quarter? He's way behind the curve, and nothing suggests he's going to outperform from here to catch up.

Sure, we are really just getting started in this thing, just pointing out that all the chest thumping over a "win" in Alaska and demeaning Ms. Palin is sorta hollow...
But a win is a win....

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
At some point, you'd think Sarah Palin would have the common sense to just fade away into the landscape with all the millions she made from her fame.  Instead, her career has become a political version of "Sunset Boulevard" with poor Sarah Desmond imploring:

"All right, Mr. Trump, I'm ready for my close-up."

Congrats to Cruz for pulling out a good win in Alaska.  Super Tuesday has solidified Cruz as the only one who can legitimately beat Trump.

I am torn as to whether it would be better for Rubio and Kasich to exit at this point.  Rubio and Kasich appear to be the best hope of depriving Trump of the delegates from Ohio and Florida, both of which are winner-take-all.  The way things are shaping up, if Cruz and Rubio can deadlock the convention, then they can threaten a Cruz/Rubio ticket and at the very least force Trump to make some concessions in favor of constitutionally-limited government (such as putting Cruz on the SCOTUS).

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Sure, we are really just getting started in this thing, just pointing out that all the chest thumping over a "win" in Alaska and demeaning Ms. Palin is sorta hollow...
But a win is a win....

No, we are not just getting started. By March 14 nearly 1/2 the delegates will be allocated. Unless Trump greatly outperforms the next couple of weeks, he will have to win nearly 2/3 of the delegates from the 15th on just to barely make it over the line of what he needs to get the nomination.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Awesome!
Yes, it is.  I feel bad that Sarah Palin has frittered away her political capital, but glad that this didn't work.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
But a win is a win....

Who is demeaning Sarah Palin?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Yes, it is.  I feel bad that Sarah Palin has frittered away her political capital, but glad that this didn't work.

Yes, so much promise thrown down the drain...
The Republic is lost.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Palin was extremely popular as governor and before when she built up her career from the kitchen table first taking on her corrupt school board, then city, all the way to the governor's mansion taking on crony capitalists. When she was working for the people of the State, doing what she did best, she was respected and admired, as she deserved.

Then she quit and high tailed it lout of Alaska joining the political punditry and reality show class and you could immediately see her popularity decline.

Then jumping to Trump created a big implosion (as was sad to witness on her Facebook and Twitter accounts as thousand upon thousand of fans expressed disappointment faster than the page moderators could delete the comments) because it was seen as joining the crony capitalists she built her career fighting.

There wasn't much she could bring to the ticket regarding Alaska and the people who cheered her on, were probably already cheering Trump so she was just preaching to the choir.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 06:16:03 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

For me, her political capital was blown when she endorsed John McCain in his Senate re-election campaign
---after his staffers trashed the living crap out of her following the 2008 campaign with no known rebuttal
or rebuke from McCain himself. Had I been his 2008 running mate and his staffers had done that and
he had done nothing to rebut or rebuke, when he came schnorring for my endorsement in his Senate
re-election bid I'd have told him where to shove it.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline NavyCanDo

The story is about Sarah's political capital, not how many delegates were dished out. She went from hero to zero.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline EdinVA

The story is about Sarah's political capital, not how many delegates were dished out. She went from hero to zero.

former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin couldn’t deliver this state for Donald Trump as Ted Cruz won the Alaska Republican presidential preference poll.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 07:07:27 pm by EdinVA »

Offline musiclady

I feel bad too.  I still feel like Sarah had the potential to become a force to be reckoned with, but instead she went on TV instead of doing her homework.

What a waste.....

(But super glad her crazy 'endorsement' of someone with whom an actual conservative has nothing in common, failed).
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline NavyCanDo

I feel bad too.  I still feel like Sarah had the potential to become a force to be reckoned with, but instead she went on TV instead of doing her homework.

What a waste.....

(But super glad her crazy 'endorsement' of someone with whom an actual conservative has nothing in common, failed).

I was a big fan of her long before McCain picked her, knowing what she has been up to in Alaska. I was doing cartwheels when he picked her, while others were still trying to find out who she was.     I once drove around with a Sarah Palin for President bumper sticker. She had huge star appeal once.  Remember it was she that drew the largest crowd in primary history 60,000  people at a rally for McCain in Florida at the The Villages" - twice Trump's largest crowd. And she was only a VP candidate.
But after the election, something changed with her and her family.  She should have continued her political career, instead of the reality show thing.  Then the swallowing the Trump Kool-Aid  - yikes!     Its a shame. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline musiclady

I was a big fan of her long before McCain picked her, knowing what she has been up to in Alaska. I was doing cartwheels when he picked her, while others were still trying to find out who she was.     I once drove around with a Sarah Palin for President bumper sticker. She had huge star appeal once.  Remember it was she that drew the largest crowd in primary history 60,000  people at a rally for McCain in Florida at the The Villages" - twice Trump's largest crowd. And she was only a VP candidate.
But after the election, something changed with her and her family.  She should have continued her political career, instead of the reality show thing.  Then the swallowing the Trump Kool-Aid  - yikes!     Its a shame.

It is a shame.  And her endorsement of Trump proof of her lack of genuine conservatism.

And that conservatism was the reason most of us who liked her DID like her.

She's made herself utterly irrelevant.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical

They kept suing her as Governor with ethics charges - and under Alaska law she had to pay the bills. I think she did what she had to do.

But, she could have done it in a way to remain politically relevant. I was 10 feet away from here when she was speaking for Joni Ernst in her senate race here, and it was obvious she was phoning it in. It was uninspiring and her heart wasn't in it.
The Republic is lost.

HonestJohn

No, we are not just getting started. By March 14 nearly 1/2 the delegates will be allocated. Unless Trump greatly outperforms the next couple of weeks, he will have to win nearly 2/3 of the delegates from the 15th on just to barely make it over the line of what he needs to get the nomination.

After March 15th, states are allowed to hold winner-take-all primaries.  It might be easier for him than you think.

Offline Frank Cannon

After March 15th, states are allowed to hold winner-take-all primaries.  It might be easier for him than you think.

Not really. Also Trump is only about 20 delegates ahead right now. That's not really that good.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/03/01/upshot/super-tuesday-live-republican-delegate-estimates.html

Offline R4 TrumPence

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline aligncare

Trump 332
Cruz   230

http://www.cnn.com/election/

HAPPY2BME

How many delegates compared to Trump did Cruz finally pull out of Alaska?

I think the difference may be ONE?