Author Topic: Donald Trump Secretly Told The New York Times What He Really Thinks About Immigration  (Read 2637 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://www.buzzfeed.com/bensmith/trump-tape?utm_term=.pm0oA1KVqQ#.nc86dAk2DB
Donald Trump Secretly Told The New York Times What He Really Thinks About Immigration

The details? Release the transcript.

posted on Feb. 29, 2016, at 12:55 p.m.

Ben Smith

The New York Times is sitting on an audio recording that some of its staff believes could deal a serious blow to Donald Trump who, in an off-the-record meeting with the newspaper, called into question whether he would stand by his own immigration views.

Trump visited the paper’s Manhattan headquarters on Tuesday, Jan. 5, part of a round of editorial board meetings that — as is traditional — the Democratic candidates for president and some of the Republicans attended. The meetings, conducted partly on the record and partly off the record in a 13th floor conference room, give candidates a chance to make their pitch for the paper’s endorsement.

After a dispute over Trump’s suggestion of tariffs on Chinese goods, the Times released a portion of the recording. But that was from the on-the-record part of the session.

On Saturday, columnist Gail Collins, one of the attendees at the meeting (which also included editor-in-chief Dean Baquet), floated a bit of speculation in her column:

The most optimistic analysis of Trump as a presidential candidate is that he just doesn’t believe in positions, except the ones you adopt for strategic purposes when you’re making a deal. So you obviously can’t explain how you’re going to deport 11 million undocumented immigrants, because it’s going to be the first bid in some future monster negotiation session.

Sources familiar with the recording and transcript — which have reached near-mythical status at the Times — tell me that the second sentence is a bit more than speculation. It reflects, instead, something Trump said about the flexibility of his hard-line anti-immigration stance.

So what exactly did Trump say about immigration, about deportations, about the wall? Did he abandon a core promise of his campaign in a private conversation with liberal power brokers in New York?

I wasn’t able to obtain the recording, or the transcript, and don’t know exactly what Trump said. Neither Baquet, Collins, nor various editorial board members I reached would comment on an off-the-record conversation, which the Times essentially said they cannot release without approval from Trump, given the nature of the off-the-record agreement.

Times editorial page editor Andrew Rosenthal told me he would not comment “on what was off the record at our meeting with him.”

“If [Trump] wants to call up and ask us to release this transcript, he’s free to do that and then we can decide what we would do,” Rosenthal said.
Trump, whose spokeswoman didn’t respond immediately to an email, can resolve this mystery: He can ask the Times to release the tape.

Will he?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:26:23 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I've heard about this but up until now there wasn't a good source. One of many things they are sitting on for Hillary to use.

Offline sinkspur

Yep.  And the NYT will release it with or without Trump's permission if it helps Hillary.

Who knew?  Trump lies.

Offline Longiron

He said this he said that more BS. talk policy!!! :wtf!:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Today is "Manic Day II"

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

This is a piece of cake compared to what the Democrats have in store.

Offline ABX

The timing of this is interesting. Tonight Anonymous has promised to release something damning. I wonder if they are related.

Offline GAJohnnie

Sure he did. Roll tape. Don't just make the accusation put some proof out there.

Funny how "Principled Conservatives" think acting like Leftists have done for the last 40 years is suddenly going to win them votes with Republicans.

Offline GAJohnnie

Well now I understand what they mean when the GOPE said they were "going full Mississippi,"

This is getting ridiculous.

Offline ABX

Cruz is jumping in.

Cruz Calls On NY Times, Trump To Release Off-Record Audio [VIDEO]

During a press conference on Monday afternoon, Senator Ted Cruz 
97%
told reporters that he wants The New York Times to release the audio of an editorial board meeting that his rival Donald Trump had with the paper.

The senator says various attendees familiar with the recording and transcript suggest Trump may not stand by his immigration views as president.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/02/29/cruz-calls-on-ny-times-trump-to-release-off-record-audio-video/#ixzz41bBKvdOo

Offline sinkspur

This is getting to be fun.  Trump will be asked about this in his next interview.  If he refuses to release it, Rubio and Cruz will go after him for compromising his immigration stance.

Offline ABX

The timing of this is interesting. Tonight Anonymous has promised to release something damning. I wonder if they are related.

It looks like the Anonymous release is not related to this. They leaked a few teasers. Frankly, it is so outrageous, I'm not even going to waste time with it until there is a better source. The teasers are under the #OpTrump tag on twitter.

Offline Frank Cannon

At some point the Trump doublespeak was going to catch up with him. This is his signature issue and to be recorded contradicting his stump speeches will certainly be devastating once it filters out to the "Uneducated" he loves so much.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2016/02/29/hmm-trump-immigration-comments-nyt-n2126719/print

February 29, 2016
Oh My: Did Trump Tell NYT Editors He's Bluffing on Immigration?
Guy Benson
2/29/2016 4:55:00 PM - Guy Benson

Donald Trump likes to pretend that he's the only reason that anyone is talking about illegal immigration this election cycle, and that he's the toughest candidate out there on the issue. That's why we hear promises about walls that Mexico will pay for, mass deportations, and rescinding birthright citizenship. Most of Trump's supporters couldn't care less about abrupt about-face he's pulled on many immigration-related issues -- or anything else, for that matter. As a refresher, Trump has hired many illegal immigrants over the years, was a DREAM Act supporter until recently, and criticized Mitt Romney's immigration rhetoric as too harsh in 2012. But as Trump regales throngs of cheering supporters with tales of hardline immigration policies, is he privately painting a very different picture for the New York Times' liberal editorial board? Buzzfeed has the intriguing scoop:

The New York Times is sitting on an audio recording that some of its staff believes could deal a serious blow to Donald Trump who, in an off-the-record meeting with the newspaper, called into question whether he would stand by his own immigration views. Trump visited the paper’s Manhattan headquarters on Tuesday, Jan. 5, part of a round of editorial board meetings that — as is traditional — the Democratic candidates for president and some of the Republicans attended. The meetings, conducted partly on the record and partly off the record in a 13th floor conference room, give candidates a chance to make their pitch for the paper’s endorsement...Sources familiar with the recording and transcript — which have reached near-mythical status at the Times — tell me that [the rumor] reflects, instead, something Trump said about the flexibility of his hard-line anti-immigration stance. So what exactly did Trump say about immigration, about deportations, about the wall? Did he abandon a core promise of his campaign in a private conversation with liberal power brokers in New York? I wasn’t able to obtain the recording, or the transcript, and don’t know exactly what Trump said. Neither Baquet, Collins, nor various editorial board members I reached would comment on an off-the-record conversation, which the Times essentially said they cannot release without approval from Trump, given the nature of the the off-the-record agreement.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

HonestJohn

The Times will hold this until the general, using it as ammo then.

After all, why waste good ammunition when the artillery is too far away to hit?  (ie: this information won't change the minds of those in the GOP primaries, but will have great effect in the general with independents who value consistency, not hypocrisy)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I've heard about this but up until now there wasn't a good source. One of many things they are sitting on for Hillary to use.

If we think we know about this now ... I'm guessing Trump knows the real source of the collusion taking place between the GOPe and the NYT.

As he's so fond of saying during his rallies, "I haven't begun on her (Hillary) yet".  I believe him.   ^-^

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
If we think we know about this now ... I'm guessing Trump knows the real source of the collusion taking place between the GOPe and the NYT.

As he's so fond of saying during his rallies, "I haven't begun on her (Hillary) yet".  I believe him.   ^-^

Who would the NYT help ?

Trump who the dems think is the easiest to defeat, or the forces of Rove who want to substitute a stronger candidate.

And in journalism "off the record" really means off the record

Is embarrassing trump worth violating that principle for the NYT
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline libertybele

Cruz Wants NYT To Release Tape of Trump Saying He'd Soften on Immigration

Trump is a FRAUD!!

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz on Monday called on GOP presidential front-runner Donald Trump to ask The New York Times to release a recording of an off-the-record meeting with its editorial board at which he is speculated to have said he might soften his tone on immigration once elected.

Buzzfeed Editor-in-Chief Ben Smith reported earlier Monday that the tape has achieved "near-mythical status" within the Times' newsroom, and is believed to contain audio of Trump telling the board during a January 5 meeting that he is using the language of deporting 11 million illegal immigrants and building a border wall as bargaining chips in negotiations.
Smith cites a recent column by Gail Collins, who attended the meeting, in which she writes:

"The most optimistic analysis of Trump as a presidential candidate is that he just doesn't believe in positions, except the ones you adopt for strategic purposes when you're making a deal. So you obviously can't explain how you're going to deport 11 million undocumented immigrants, because it's going to be the first bid in some future monster negotiation session."

The last line isn't mere speculation, Smith said, citing people familiar with the recording and the transcript.

No one at the Times would comment on what Trump said off the record, but editorial page editor Andrew Rosenthal said, "If [Trump] wants to call up and ask us to release this transcript, he's free to do that and then we can decide what we would do."

Cruz, at a press conference outside a campaign event in San Antonio, Texas, called on Trump to do just that, saying it would clear up whether the Buzzfeed story is inaccurate or whether it was true.

"I call on Donald, ask The New York Times to release the tape," Cruz said. "And do so today before the Super Tuesday primary."

Voters have a right to know, he said, that if it is true "that not only did Donald Trump fund the Gang of Eight Rubio/Schumer amnesty effort, not only did he give over $50,000 to five of the eight members of the Gang of Eight, but that he actually, now, is telling The New York Times editorial board, pay no attention to what I'm saying on immigration because I, Donald Trump, don't intend to do anything."

Cruz, alluding to Trump's recent victory speech in Nevada where he said he loves "the poorly educated," said, he hopes Trump didn't tell the The New York Times editorial board he is "deliberately misleading the voters and he has no intention of doing anything he's saying right now. That tape can clear it up."

Trump's other leading rival in the GOP race, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, also called for release of the recording.

"Donald Trump should ask The New York Times to release the audio of his interview with him so we can see exactly what it is he truly believes about this issue that he has made the cornerstone of his campaign," Rubio said in a statement..

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/cruz-new-york-times-release-tape/2016/02/29/id/716683/?ns_mail_uid=5107558&ns_mail_job=1657478_02292016&s=al&dkt_nbr=hws74tc9
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 12:46:56 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EdinVA

.. off-the-record meeting with its editorial board at which he is speculated to have said he might soften his tone on immigration once elected.

:silly:

Offline libertybele

:silly:

IF it weren't true all Trump has to do is tell the NYT to release the tapes.  Secondly, a tape recording isn't speculation, it's proof of what he actually stated. 

So now we have 2 things that Trump is hiding - his tax returns and the NYT recording!  As I stated before, TRUMP IS A FRAUD!!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 01:34:45 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.