Author Topic: Did anyone else take a stab at the Oscars?  (Read 909 times)

Offline Paladin

Did anyone else take a stab at the Oscars?
« on: February 29, 2016, 02:55:14 am »
Ok, don't hate me because I'm nosy. I really wanted to see how Chris Rock would handle the "diversity" controversy. The guy spoke for about 5-10 minutes, said nothing clever or original, and much of it was racist or racially self-pitying. He's a comedian, they tell me, but I didn't even so much as smile once.

The few awards I endured were more of the same, and included a subtle endorsement of Sanders by some winning producer ("The Short"). The nature of the first awards showed me, even without a weatherman, which way the winds were blowing (definitely Left). So I gave up and turned it off.

Any other brave soul willing to admit she or he gave it a shot? C'mon, ladies, what about the dresses? 'Fess up.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Online NavyCanDo

Re: Did anyone else take a stab at the Oscars?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 04:23:30 am »
Only a couple of times during channel surfing, and each time I glanced at it somebody was on stage giving an apologetic speech to all black people. Once Chris Rock was interviewing blacks on the street, one he asked if she would like to slap white people. Real funny Chris.......
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 10:57:54 am »
As I don't go to movies and am tired of leftist claptrap, no, I had no interest in watching the program.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 11:22:59 am »
Nope. Self congratulation coupled with self flaggelation ain't my cup of tea. Plus that show, timewise fits the Army definition of "eternity and a wakeup".
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 12:31:09 pm »
Nope...couldn't have cared less about it.

But I enjoy watching movies.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 05:00:55 pm »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 05:17:37 pm »
Saw "Creed," "The Big Short," and "Bridge of Spies" so far of nominated flicks.

I wanted to see the film with Di Caprio but spared my wife from the violence and gore.

I don't go much for the various versions of the black-folks' pity potty.

If I had to watch I would prefer hearing about global weather. Here is that story:

First you reject belief in manmade global warming. You say the earth has natural cycles of warming and cooling, not manmade in nature.

I'm fine right there. But if we are in a natural cycle, and changes are going to impact sea levels, coastal towns etc. I believe it is worth learning about.

I live at about 10 ft. above sea level. Although not likely in my lifetime, my community has self-interest; a conservative community I add. Old school intelligent, conservation minded conservatism.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 05:21:17 pm »
The Revenant is a fairly good movie. Not great, by any stretch of the imagination, but worth a watch if you don't mind the gore (despite internet rumors, there is no rape by bear in the movie.).

Creed was magical. Bridge of Spies - good story, but I have an absolute loathing for Tom Hanks.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 05:36:19 pm »
I watched the race-obsessed host make joke after joke, most of them tasteless and irrelevant, as the race-guilty audience laughed because they had no idea what else to do.  Rock's final words, an endorsement of "Black Lives Matter" pretty much summed up the night.  I am sure the movie stars in attendance were happy to get out of there and back to their gated, security-laden mansions.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 09:11:24 pm »
The Revenant is a fairly good movie. Not great, by any stretch of the imagination, but worth a watch if you don't mind the gore (despite internet rumors, there is no rape by bear in the movie.).

Creed was magical. Bridge of Spies - good story, but I have an absolute loathing for Tom Hanks.  :shrug:

I saw "The Revenant, too. I thought , aside from the cinematography, that it was pretentious and tedious. I didn't realize Leonardo could get an Oscar for looking constipated for two hours. 20 minutes after the bear attack, I wished the bear had killed him.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 09:13:14 pm »
Nope...couldn't have cared less about it.

But I enjoy watching movies.

My thoughts exactly!  :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 09:23:50 pm »
I saw "The Revenant, too. I thought , aside from the cinematography, that it was pretentious and tedious. I didn't realize Leonardo could get an Oscar for looking constipated for two hours. 20 minutes after the bear attack, I wished the bear had killed him.

I did not see it, but I do know you are not alone in your critique of that particular movie.  I saw Brooklyn, The Big Short and The Martian.  The best movie of the year did not get nominated as best picture, but it did win for best animated feature: Inside Out.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 09:34:30 pm »
I did not see it, but I do know you are not alone in your critique of that particular movie.  I saw Brooklyn, The Big Short and The Martian.  The best movie of the year did not get nominated as best picture, but it did win for best animated feature: Inside Out.

I liked "Brooklyn". Her dinner with her boyfriend's Italain family was a hoot. And looked like my Mom's kitchen.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 09:50:42 pm »
Not seen it yet. Looking forward to it though!

Inside Out though - definitely should have been up for best picture. The bias the Academy has against animation is horrendous. Take Up! - the first 10 minutes of that is more rounded, fuller story telling than most 2 hour flicks.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 10:10:26 pm »
I watched a little bit, then went to the cooking channel.