Author Topic: McConnell on Trump: 'We'll drop him like a hot rock'  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
McConnell on Trump: 'We'll drop him like a hot rock'
« on: February 28, 2016, 04:54:31 am »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/mcconnell-on-trump-well-drop-him-like-a-hot-rock/article/2584417?custom_click=rss

Call it the "hot rock plan."

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has prepared an alternate plan to run Republican Senate candidates separately from Donald Trump, should he be the GOP presidential nominee, according to a report.

"We'll drop him like a hot rock" in the general election, McConnell has told associates of Trump, the New York Times reported Saturday, citing Senate sources. McConnell, a Kentucky senator, often uses such folksy phrases.

McConnell's plan assumes that Trump would lose a general election race badly and bring down with other Republican candidates on state ballots, threatening Republican's majority in the Senate. The party would encourage Republicans candidates to air ads distancing themselves from Trump in a bid to convince voters opposing the real estate developer to split their ballots and back GOP candidates further down the ballot.

McConnell has reminded senators of his own successful re-election campaign in Kentucky in 1996. He won despite Bill Clinton carrying the state on his way to an overwhelming reelection.

According to the report, in this scenario in which Trump defeat is clear, McConnell will pitch that a Republican Senate will remain a necessary check on a President Hillary Clinton.

Notably, McConnell is currently holding up the nomination of any Supreme Court justice, insisting that the choice should be made by the next president, who could be Trump.

The National Republican Senatorial Committee and McConnell's office did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
The Republic is lost.

HAPPY2BME

Re: McConnell on Trump: 'We'll drop him like a hot rock'
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 05:38:29 am »
McConnell is scared $hitless that he is going to lose his kingdom.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 05:41:12 am »
McConnell: We're Going to 'Crush' Tea Party Candidates in GOP Primaries This Year

This election season, Republicans led by Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky are taking a much harder line as they sense the majority within reach. Top congressional Republicans and their allies are challenging the advocacy groups head on in an aggressive effort to undermine their credibility. The goal is to deny them any Senate primary victories, cut into their fund-raising and diminish them as a future force in Republican politics. “I think we are going to crush them everywhere,” Mr. McConnell, the Senate Republican leader, said in an interview, referring to the network of activist organizations working against him and two Republican incumbents in Kansas and Mississippi while engaging in a handful of other contests. “I don’t think they are going to have a single nominee anywhere in the country.”

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2014/03/10/mcconnell-tea-party-candidates-will-get-crushed-everywhere-in-gop-primaries-n1806523

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 05:45:37 am »
"McConnell's plan assumes that Trump would lose a general election race badly and bring down with other Republican candidates on state ballots, threatening Republican's majority in the Senate."

Haven't given that much thought, but he's right.   Normally there are coat tails to ride, particularly if the nominee is a popular choice nationally. But this year trying to ride his coat tails into a reelection may hurt badly. And why would they want to? After all Trump calls them "Stupid People", and has been doing so his whole campaign. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 06:42:24 am »
McConnell is scared $hitless that he is going to lose his kingdom.

I'm scared $hitless that President Hitlery will not have a GOP Senate to stop her SCOTUS nominations.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 06:59:57 am »
Heard The Donald's son on Fox Radio and he said it should be clear the political establishment and the big donor interests are opposed to his father because he knows how they operate and intends to put an end to it.

So all of you rebels in name only, cheering on the establishment's plans to block Trump, ought to ask yourselves where you stand.

Trump has said he wants to impact illegal immigration, special interests influence, take back business and jobs which went overseas with blessings from donors and politicians, etc.

He wants to do something, not merely talk endlessly.

Rubio and Cruz are pip squeaks with zero accomplishments outside a few years in debating positions.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 08:17:35 am »
Heard The Donald's son on Fox Radio and he said it should be clear the political establishment and the big donor interests are opposed to his father because he knows how they operate and intends to put an end to it.

==================================

There is A reason Donald Trump requested SS protection.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 03:08:14 am »
It's pretty interesting that establishment Republicans would prefer a Democrat over Donald Trump. Almost makes it seem like it's all a big sham. :pondering:
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 03:10:51 am by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 03:19:31 am »
Someone may get dropped like a hot rock, but I very much doubt it will the person, whomever that may be, that carries with them the majority of votes in the most recent national election.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Bill Cipher

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 03:20:12 am »

So all of you rebels in name only, cheering on the establishment's plans to block Trump, ought to ask yourselves where you stand.

Trump has said he wants to impact illegal immigration, special interests influence, take back business and jobs which went overseas with blessings from donors and politicians, etc.

He wants to do something, not merely talk endlessly.

Rubio and Cruz are pip squeaks with zero accomplishments outside a few years in debating positions.

And I am counting on the alleged spinelessness of the establishment republicans to bring Trump to heel like a meek little doggie.  Obama may have gotten away with rule by fiat via executive order.  Clinton would probably be able to continue to do so, especially since she'll get to stack the Supreme Court in her favor.  Trump will not, and every time he tries, the democrats will play back all of the opposition republicans have voiced to Obama's use of the executive order and will tie the government up in knots for years with litigation.

Obama may have gotten away with browbeating the republicans in Congress, but he did so because he had the democrats, the media, and a goodly number of so-called conservative republicans, on his side.  Clinton would probably be able to continue that trend, since once again, if she wins it would bode ill for the republicans retaining control over Congress, and even if they did, they would still be isolated, standing against the whole world, including the so-called conservatives in their own party.  Trump won't get a lick out of them by comparison.  He's already earned their enmity, to hear it from his own supporters, so I find it hard to believe that they'll all find Trump on their political roads to Damascus on Jan. 20, 2017.  And they'll have the backing of the democrats, the media, and those of us in his party who want to keep him reined in.  With that level of support, I think their chances of withstanding pressure from a President Trump are much better than they would be against a President Clinton or current President Obama.

To tell the truth, I'd prefer a President Rubio, or a President Cruz, but then again, the consequences of the mix of power between president, congress, and media is much less predictable.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 03:21:29 am »
Someone may get dropped like a hot rock, but I very much doubt it will the person, whomever that may be, that carries with them the majority of votes in the most recent national election.

Really?  The Republicans got the votes of the majority in Congress in 2010, and 2014.  Did that stop Obama from continuing to bully them?

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 03:26:15 am »
Really?  The Republicans got the votes of the majority in Congress in 2010, and 2014.  Did that stop Obama from continuing to bully them?

Well, as for me, given the perfidy of the Republican Congress, I would be more than happy to see Trump bully them into retirement.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

HonestJohn

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 12:16:01 pm »
And I am counting on the alleged spinelessness of the establishment republicans to bring Trump to heel like a meek little doggie.  Obama may have gotten away with rule by fiat via executive order.  Clinton would probably be able to continue to do so, especially since she'll get to stack the Supreme Court in her favor.  Trump will not, and every time he tries, the democrats will play back all of the opposition republicans have voiced to Obama's use of the executive order and will tie the government up in knots for years with litigation.

Obama may have gotten away with browbeating the republicans in Congress, but he did so because he had the democrats, the media, and a goodly number of so-called conservative republicans, on his side.  Clinton would probably be able to continue that trend, since once again, if she wins it would bode ill for the republicans retaining control over Congress, and even if they did, they would still be isolated, standing against the whole world, including the so-called conservatives in their own party.  Trump won't get a lick out of them by comparison.  He's already earned their enmity, to hear it from his own supporters, so I find it hard to believe that they'll all find Trump on their political roads to Damascus on Jan. 20, 2017.  And they'll have the backing of the democrats, the media, and those of us in his party who want to keep him reined in.  With that level of support, I think their chances of withstanding pressure from a President Trump are much better than they would be against a President Clinton or current President Obama.

To tell the truth, I'd prefer a President Rubio, or a President Cruz, but then again, the consequences of the mix of power between president, congress, and media is much less predictable.

I figure that the GOP will do what the political parties in Europe are doing against the rise of parties like the National Front (in France).  In other words, they will support whatever politician, from whatever party, that looks like they can beat them.  At this time and in our country, that would be the Democratic candidate.

And no, the majority of the Republican voters won't go along, just like in Europe.  But a sizable minority will, just to keep them out.

Offline Longiron

« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 12:23:02 pm by Longiron »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 01:46:52 pm »

Would anyone like to revise and extend their up thread comments after Sen. Jeff Sessions' surprise endorsement of Trump? My money's on Trump and Sessions.

I wonder if Mitch knew ahead of time that Sessions would endorse Donald Trump?