Author Topic: Oscar Enters The Space Age  (Read 323 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Oscar Enters The Space Age
« on: February 28, 2016, 02:14:33 am »
A.A. Kidd
NukeMars.com
February 21, 2016

There were some surprising science fiction nods among the major Oscar nominations this year. Despite complaints about STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS not getting a nomination for Best Picture (and in my opinion, it didn't deserve one), both MAD MAX: FURY ROAD and THE MARTIAN managed to secure Best Picture nominations. I only caught the last fifteen minutes of FURY ROAD on cable, so I can't really judge it beyond that, but THE MARTIAN while not perfect, was one of the better movies in a mediocre year for movies, and so I have no problem with its nomination. Ridley Scott unfortunately didn't get nominated for Best Director, which likely punctures (sorry) the film's chances of winning the top prize, but Matt Damon received a well-earned Best Actor nomination, and Drew Goddard's adaptation of Andrew Weir's novel was nominated in the Best Screenplay category. The best science fiction film of the year, EX MACHINA, didn't get nominated for Best Picture but I was pleasantly surprised to see it nominated for Best Original Screenplay, and while it too faces strong competition from the other nominations (including Pixar's fantasy INSIDE OUT), it is probably the best-written of the five films nominated. (My choice for the year's best film, ME, EARL AND THE DYING GIRL, didn't get any nominations at all, alas).
More