Author Topic: Seattle pushes sweeping new rules for worker schedules, employers cry foul  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Paladin

This is part of a growing movement called “predictive scheduling”. In Seattle, it is expected to become law later this year.

"You’ve heard the battle cries over paying workers a “living wage.” Now, get ready for the next phase: “Livable schedules.”

On the heels of Seattle passing a controversial $15 minimum wage law, the City Council there is now drafting an ordinance that aims to shift power away from employers when it comes to how workers are scheduled and paid.

“I think there is a sense among some workers that they are being abused,” Seattle City Council member Lorena Gonzalez said.

Gonzalez is leading the effort to impose new rules on how employers schedule their workers. The ordinance is still being written, but it is expected to include:
•A guarantee that workers get at least 11 hours of down time between shifts
•A requirement that workers get schedules a week in advance, or else be paid time-and-a-half if shifts are added inside that timeframe
•A requirement that employers pay employees for a few hours of work not performed if shifts are taken away

Several of these components are being pushed by Working Washington, the same group that successfully fought for a $15 minimum wage in Seattle."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/02/25/seattle-pushes-sweeping-new-rules-for-worker-schedules-employers-cry-foul.html

The main proponent of this latest Leftist Cause du jour, Lorena Gonzalez, is an excellent representative of the zaniness of Seattle politics; but, believe it or not, she's not the worst. What a city! 
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Seattle pushes sweeping new rules for worker schedules, employers cry foul
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 05:32:36 am »
It sucks, but the states have the right to do this within Constitutional bounds. Companies also have the Constitutional right to leave the state.
The Republic is lost.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 03:11:23 pm »
Essentially, because the left have realized that ultimately non-compulsory unions will fail, they're attempting to de-facto unionize everyone through the threat of state-sanctioned violence.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 01:52:03 am »
Essentially, because the left have realized that ultimately non-compulsory unions will fail, they're attempting to de-facto unionize everyone through the threat of state-sanctioned violence.

First time I've seen you post BC. Glad to have you here.
The Republic is lost.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 01:52:52 am »
First time I've seen you post BC. Glad to have you here.

Thanks

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 01:31:03 pm »
You may be on to something. My state's legislature just passed "right to work." The unions are hopping mad. If the Democrats ever regain control of the legislature, I dread whatever new pro-union laws they'll come up with.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org