Author Topic: Max Lucado: Trump doesn’t pass the decency test  (Read 5770 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Max Lucado: Trump doesn’t pass the decency test
« on: February 27, 2016, 03:32:57 am »

Policy aside, shouldn't we all demand that our president at least be decent?

...Decency mattered to me as a dad, and decency matters to Americans. We take note of the person who pays their debts. We appreciate the physician who takes time to listen. When the husband honors his wedding vows, when the teacher makes time for the struggling student, when the employee refuses to gossip about her co-worker, when the losing team congratulates the winning team, we can characterize their behavior as decent.

We appreciate decency. We applaud decency. We teach decency. We seek to develop decency.

So why isn’t decency doing better in the presidential race?....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/02/26/max-lucado-trump-doesnt-pass-the-decency-test/

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Max Lucado: Trump doesn’t pass the decency test
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 03:43:56 am »
Buddy....who the hell is Max Lucado?   Furthermore, who cares?

You've been beating this dead horse now..seems like forever, AB.

Republican Establishment?   I'd say that it was castrated, but that would be redundant.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Bill Cipher

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 03:45:35 am »
The Donald and The Decency: never the twain shall meet.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 03:51:13 am »
The trouble is, by the Washington Post's definition, Hillary Clinton is entirely decent. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 03:52:43 am »

Republican Establishment?   I'd say that it was castrated, but that would be redundant.

Max Lucado is a prominent Christian apologist. Didn't expect you to know who he was.

AB will continue to beat this horse and so will I.

Now, and through the primaries, and through the general.

Trump must not be permitted to occupy the Oval Office.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 03:55:05 am »
The trouble is, by the Washington Post's definition, Hillary Clinton is entirely decent. 

Then it must be that The Donald is also decent by their lights.  Birds of a feather and all that.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 04:02:17 am »
Another OPINION.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 04:03:37 am »
Another OPINION.

Your opinion being ...?

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 04:03:52 am »

==================================

At best, a few of his flock.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 04:05:50 am »
Can't defeat the message, might as well gang up on the messenger.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 04:06:32 am »

Your opinion being ...?

======================

There IS no decency in politics.

And when a politician tries to dupe Christians into voting for them because they are 'more righteous' than the one whom they are (hypocritically) demonizing, they negate the entire message of Jesus Christ.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 04:08:44 am »
======================

And when a politician tries to dupe Christians into voting for them because they are 'more righteous' than the one whom they are (hypocritically) demonizing, they negate the entire message of Jesus Christ.

You just described Donald Trump.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 04:09:44 am »
======================

Hardly.  One of Romney's weaknesses was that he was too decent.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 04:42:19 am »
....who... is Max Lucado?   

About Max Lucado

Max Lucado is a preacher with a storyteller’s gift — a pastor’s heart and a poet’s pen.

Max’s message is simple: God loves you; let him. Max serves the people of Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas, where he has been on staff since 1988. He preaches and writes to the hurting, the guilty, the lonely, the discouraged.

That message has traveled around the world in more than 54 languages via more than 120 million individual products. Most of these products are books (92 million), which have occupied spots on every major national bestseller list. Over the years Max Lucado has been featured in countless national media outlets, dubbed “America’s Pastor” by Reader’s Digest, and named one of the most influential leaders in social media by The New York Times.

Max Lucado (pronounced Luh-KAY-dough) was born in a small West Texas town, the youngest son of an oil field mechanic and a nurse. He grew up in church but took a different road as a teen, walking away from his parent’s faith. One summer night, after downing a six-pack of beer, Max began to wonder if there wasn’t more to life than parties and chasing girls. Not long afterward, a Bible class at nearby Abilene Christian University stirred his heart again, drawing the young student into the unconditional love of God.

Max left West Texas with a master’s degree in Biblical Studies and a deep desire to share God’s love and mercy with others. As associate pastor of a small church in Miami, Florida, he wrote a column in the weekly church newsletter. That writing experience ignited a powerful synergy between his passion for people, pastoral ministry, and writing. He also married Denalyn, now his wife of more than three decades.

In 1983 Max and Denalyn moved to Rio de Janeiro to help plant churches. During their five years in Brazil, Max continued to write, updating friends and family about their ministry. Eventually Max gathered those newsletters into a manuscript and sent them off to fifteen publishers. One publisher said yes.

Max Lucado’s first book, On the Anvil, was published in 1985. His 32nd book, Glory Days: Living Your Promised Land Life Now (September 2015), offers insight into living a “full throttle” life. “With God’s help you can close the gap between the person you are and the person you want to be,” writes Max.

Max serves as Minister of Preaching at Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas. He has ministered to this church for 25 years. Max and Denalyn have three grown daughters and two son-in-laws.

https://maxlucado.com/about/
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 04:58:57 am »
I don't cotton to no dag nabbed religion in my politics. Or vice versa.

"And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 05:09:53 am »
I don't cotton to no dag nabbed religion in my politics. Or vice versa.

"And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's."

Jesus, of course, did not mean by that statement that there is a religious sphere, and a secular sphere, and that two should never meet.

What he meant was due respect was to be given to Caesar, but that everything was under the dominion of God because all things are God's.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 05:14:48 am »
Jesus, of course, did not mean by that statement that there is a religious sphere, and a secular sphere, and that two should never meet.

What he meant was due respect was to be given to Caesar, but that everything was under the dominion of God because all things are God's.

Well said, Sink.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 05:21:30 am »

I am capable of determining my own interpretations, thank you.

I remember that for Kennedy the fear was that he would bring the Catholic church's influence into his administration, which fear was unfounded.

With some of these people, like Cruz, I don't want his father or Glenn Beck for one minute, to be part of an administration.

I am neither a Catholic or an evangelical. And I do not want citizens to need to worry about the particular denomination for their leaders, since it should not matter in public policy and national life.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 05:30:13 am »

I remember that for Kennedy the fear was that he would bring the Catholic church's influence into his administration, which fear was unfounded.

With some of these people, like Cruz, I don't want his father or Glenn Beck for one minute, to be part of an administration.

I am neither a Catholic or an evangelical. And I do not want citizens to need to worry about the particular denomination for their leaders, since it should not matter in public policy and national life.

Well, too many people take that particular saying of Jesus and interpret it to mean that religion should have no influence on secular life.  Which is the exact opposite of what Jesus meant.

There is no secular world, and a separate religious world. They are one. They are God's. 

If one's following of Jesus has no influence on one's everyday life in the secular world, then why follow Jesus?

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 06:03:56 am »
Well, too many people take that particular saying of Jesus and interpret it to mean that religion should have no influence on secular life.  Which is the exact opposite of what Jesus meant.

There is no secular world, and a separate religious world. They are one. They are God's. 

If one's following of Jesus has no influence on one's everyday life in the secular world, then why follow Jesus?
I am not going to try to match chops arguing religion, with you or with anybody else on a political site. That is the point. Should not have to.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 06:46:46 am »

You may have only 25 post, but you are learning fast.   By the way, Welcome.

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 06:49:23 am »
A once proud and dignified nation is now represented by the most childish and immature behavior from adults seeking the position of President of the United States. And our people cheer and clap as if this is something to be proud of.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline aligncare

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 08:06:16 am »

In Ann Coulter's latest article she did a review of GOP strategists' accuracy since Donald Trump entered the race. The quotes were culled from the top names in GOP punditry. How ludicrous they sounded 4, 5 and 6 months ago.

I urge anyone wishing to lighten the mood and have a few laughs go take a look.

TALKING HEAD TWIT OF THE YEAR CONTEST

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2016-02-24.html

Excerpt:

I've picked these two "Republican strategists" at random for reasons of efficiency, but it could have been any of the Karl Rove-Matthew Dowd-Steve Hayes-Hugh Hewitt-George Will-Rich Lowry dream team.

Prepare to be dazzled by the analysis!

Republican strategist Sara Fagen:

-- July 26, 2015, NBC's "Meet the Press": "At the end of the day, (Trump) is not going to be the Republican nominee."

Offline libertybele

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2016, 09:00:01 am »

Cruz would fight for liberty as well as religious liberty for the people but religion would not rule the country -- we have the Constitution which clearly defines what our rights are in this country.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 11:37:14 am »

Oh look....another one!    :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald