Author Topic: Trump Now on His Third New Reason to Not Release Tax Returns  (Read 2066 times)

Offline sinkspur

Trump Now on His Third New Reason to Not Release Tax Returns
« on: February 26, 2016, 10:13:00 pm »
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/02/26/trump-now-on-his-third-new-reason-to-not-release-tax-returns.html

Trump Now on His Third New Reason to Not Release Tax Returns

Michael Daly
 February 26, 2016

First, Hillary had to release her emails. Then, it was being prepared. Now it's an IRS auditing, which is either a lie or an admission of a very big problem.

Donald Trump says he cannot release his tax returns because he is undergoing an audit that goes back “four or five years.”

But the Internal Revenue Service usually does not look back more than three years.

“Generally, the IRS can include returns filed within the last three years in an audit,” the agency’s website says. “Additional years can be added if a substantial error is identified.”

The IRS further reports, “The statute of limitations limits the time allowed to assess additional tax.  The statute of limitations is generally three years after a return is due or was filed, whichever is later.”

Either Trump is lying about undergoing such an audit as an excuse not to release his returns, or the IRS has found that his most recent return includes an error considerably bigger than a simple oversight.

Whatever the truth, an audit should not prelude releasing his returns.

Meanwhile, Trump has tweeted a photo of himself with a pen and a stack of papers.

“Signing a recent tax return—isn’t this ridiculous?” he wrote on Thursday.

In October, Trump had initially said that he would release his tax returns after Hillary Clinton released all her e-mails.

“But I will say this, and I’m very proud to say it, I think the country is run horribly. I hate what they do with our money,” Trump noted at the time.

“And unlike everybody else, I try to pay as little tax as possible, because I hate what they do with my tax money.”

He added, “It’s a little tax.”

In January, Trump indicated that the release was imminent.

“We’re working on that now. I have big returns, as you know, and I have everything all approved and very beautiful and we’ll be working that over in the next period of time,” he told Meet the Press just before the Iowa caucuses.

Then, on Thursday night, Trump suddenly said he could not release his returns because he was being audited.

Either he had been notified of the audit in the past month or he was concocting a new excuse. He added that he had been audited every year and that this most recent one went back four or five years. He suggested to Anderson Cooper after the debate that the IRS may have targeted him for religious reasons.

“Maybe because of the fact I’m a strong Christian,” said the man who nearly put money in the communion plate at an Iowa church the Sunday before the caucus and apparently did not go to church at all the Sunday afterwards.

Trump had already been forthright about paying as little tax as possible, so he was not likely worried about such a revelation from the release of his returns. Some observers did wonder aloud if he was worried his returns would show he is less really rich than he claims. He sought to counter that suggestion with a second tweet on Thursday.

“Just for your info, tax returns have 0 to do w/ someone’s net worth,” he wrote. “I have already filed my financial statements w/ FEC. They are great!”

One possible worry for Trump may be that his returns will put to lie his claim to be an “ardent philanthropist” who contributed considerable sums to veterans and victims of 9/11. His supposed generosity does not appear in the records of his Donald J. Trump Foundation, to which he happens to have donated not a penny in six years.

Someone who seeks to pay little tax would surely seek a deduction for any charitable giving. So his returns should show whatever he had, or had not, actually given.

“He doesn’t give away money,” says Barbara Res, who served as lead construction engineer during the building Trump Tower and the renovation of the Plaza Hotel. “He’s not a charitable giver at all.”

But whatever is keeping him from releasing his returns, Trump likely has no real reason to fret.

Nobody seemed to care when he almost certainly lied when he said he “lost hundreds of friends” on 9/11.

And, if he can get away with lying about that, he can get away with lying about anything. He may not have been exaggerating all that much when he said, “I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose any voters, okay?”

“It’s like incredible,” he rightly added.

On Friday,  Trump convened a press conference to announce that he was being endorsed New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who had dropped his own bid for the President. Christie spoke, followed by Trump, who denounced Marco Rubio as a “lowlife” while saying Ted Cruz tells “reasonable lies.” Trump did not spare the media.

“I’ll tell you what, I think the media is among the most dishonest groups I’ve ever met.” Trump said.

At one point, Trump declared, “We have to be honest.”

Trump also spoke about Mitt Romney, who was belatedly among those who have called for him to release his tax returns, hinting there was a “bombshell” in them.

“He comes out and tells me about my taxes,” Trump said. “When did Romney file his return?”

Trump apparently meant release his tax returns.

“September 21st!” Trump said. “That’s a long time from now!”

Trump can keep using that excuse for months to come. He certainly seemed to have no intention to release his returns before next week’s 12 Republican primaries.

At the same time, Hillary Clinton has yet to release transcripts of her speeches for cash at Goldman Sachs.

So we approach the primaries with the leading Republican candidate and the leading Democratic candidate refusing to provide information that could be critical in making a clear headed decision.

Call it Stupor Tuesday.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 10:13:31 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline GAJohnnie

Re: Trump Now on His Third New Reason to Not Release Tax Returns
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 10:19:46 pm »
Hilarious hypocrites

The same people all outraged when the Dems pulled this trick on Romney are now pulling it themselves.

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 10:24:08 pm »
Donald was quoted as saying he was gonna release them: " Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!"

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 10:25:39 pm »
Hilarious hypocrites

The same people all outraged when the Dems pulled this trick on Romney are now pulling it themselves.

What are you talking about. Trump said he would release them and now he is backtracking (Like almost every single thing he has said over his lifetime). He is the one who is making this an issue.

Offline katzenjammer

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 10:37:30 pm »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/irs-to-trump-nothing-prevents-you-from-sharing-your-tax-documents/article/2584359

Donald Trump claims he can't release his tax returns until he's done being audited by the IRS. But the federal agency on Friday said that's not true.

"Federal privacy rules prohibit the IRS from discussing individual tax matters. Nothing prevents individuals from sharing their own tax information," a spokesperson for the IRS said in a statement.

The Republican presidential front-runner's refusal to release his tax documents came up repeatedly during Thursday's GOP debate, hours after former Republican nominee Mitt Romney suggested that Trump's reluctance stems from the possibility there might be a "bombshell" in his taxes.

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 10:47:12 pm »

Rut Row

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 10:57:02 pm »

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 11:00:38 pm »
What are you talking about. Trump said he would release them and now he is backtracking (Like almost every single thing he has said over his lifetime). He is the one who is making this an issue.

More I think about it, I don't think he is being audited.. Somehow I think he is lying..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 11:23:52 pm »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/irs-to-trump-nothing-prevents-you-from-sharing-your-tax-documents/article/2584359

IRS to Trump: 'Nothing prevents you from sharing your tax documents'
By Gabby Morrongiello (@gabriellahope_) • 2/26/16 2:53 PM

Donald Trump claims he can't release his tax returns until he's done being audited by the IRS. But the federal agency on Friday said that's not true.

"Federal privacy rules prohibit the IRS from discussing individual tax matters. Nothing prevents individuals from sharing their own tax information," a spokesperson for the IRS said in a statement.

The Republican presidential front-runner's refusal to release his tax documents came up repeatedly during Thursday's GOP debate, hours after former Republican nominee Mitt Romney suggested that Trump's reluctance stems from the possibility there might be a "bombshell" in his taxes.

"I want to [release them], except for many years, I've been audited every year," Trump said during the debate. "Twelve years, or something like that. Every year they audit me, audit me, audit me. Nobody gets audited — I have friends that are very wealthy people. They never get audited. I get audited every year. I will absolutely give my return, but I'm being audited now for two or three years, so I can't do it until the audit is finished, obviously. And I think people would understand that."

While the IRS claims nothing is preventing the billionaire from releasing the information, Steven Golburd, an attorney specializing in tax law, told the Washington Post Friday it may indeed be in Trump's best interest to keep them private.

"Think of an audit as an investigation, an on-going investigation," Goldburd said. "Any person that has legal counsel, their legal counsel will say, 'If you're under investigation, you should not be talking to the media, you should not be talking to anyone other than your legal counsel or through your legal counsel.'"

Trump doubled down on his refusal to release his returns during a campaign rally Friday in Fort Worth, Texas. The billionaire told the crowd that Romney didn't release his tax returns until Sept. 21, 2012 — less than two months before voters cast their ballots in the 2012 presidential election.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 11:32:07 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/270978-irs-commissioner-its-rare-to-be-audited-every-year

IRS head: It's 'rare' to be audited every year

By Naomi Jagoda - 02/26/16 04:34 PM EST

The head of the Internal Revenue Commissioner (IRS) says it's rare for a person to be audited every year, a situation Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump says he's experiencing.

“Usually when there’s an audit, and it’s cleared up, if there are no other issues, it’s a number of years, two or three at least, before you hear from us again, unless something in your next return pops up,” John Koskinen said Friday during a taping of C-SPAN’s “Newsmakers,” according to The Wall Street Journal.

“But as a matter of just formal auditing, it would be rare.”

Trump has said he will not release his tax returns until an IRS audit is complete.

“For many years, I’ve been audited every year. Twelve years or something like that,” he said during Thursday night's GOP debate.

Shortly after the debate, the businessman suggested that the IRS was targeting him because of his religion. But Koskinen disagreed.

“That’s something that would never cause you to be audited,” Koskinen said. “We don’t care who you are, who you voted for, what party you belong to, whether you go to church, or don’t go to church.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 11:37:37 pm »
I don't think he is being audited.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 11:57:01 pm »
Here is what one needs to ponder about his refusal to release the docs and lying about his ability to, the claim he is 'self-funding' his campaign.

FEC records show he is not self-funding his campaign. His personal donations to his campaign are very low. He is, however, loaning money to his campaign. That is an important distinction because loans have to be paid back.

The way he is structuring that type of funding allows him to hide where his money is coming from. Instead of donating to his campaign, Joe Billy Bob who owns Possum Bank and Trust (yes, I made that up, don't fact check me) can give or loan The Don millions to be used on his campaign, bypassing campaign financing limits and essentially hiding his involvement in the campaign. The Don then loans that money to the campaign. The campaign then in turn, has to pay The Don back from donor money- paid back with interest of course, otherwise it is either turned into donations- passing the campaign finance limit, or the campaign can 'write-off' the debt (declare bankruptcy in a sense) and screw any vendors owed out of a lot of that money. Because the campaign is a temporary separate entity, he won't have to risk the debt obligations associated with his own person or his own business.

This isn't unprecedented. It was done on a small scale by the Clintons in how they had money funneled to Bill's campaign by the Chinese ala the Charlie Trie and Gene Lum campaign finance scandal. They screwed up with the holding companies it was funneled through with is why Trie was arrested but it kept the Clinton's safe from association through that separation.

Offline ABX

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 12:03:28 am »
From my investment guy..

Tobin Smith
7 hrs ·

‪#‎FYI‬ spoke with 3 CPAs and 2 tax attorneys: NO LAW says ‪#‎Trump‬ can't release tax returns under audit ZERO aka all BS ‪#‎JustAnotherTrumpLie‬

Wingnut

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 12:04:30 am »
Shortly after the debate, the Trumpster suggested that the IRS was targeting him because of his religion

Where is that gif of trump being hit by lightning when you need it!

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 12:12:44 am »
Where is that gif of trump being hit by lightning when you need it!

If Trump is a Christian, then I'm a Muslim..

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 04:57:55 am »
I don't think he is being audited.

Me either.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 09:10:05 am »
Donald was quoted as saying he was gonna release them: " Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!"

...you forgot "Trust Me".
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline ABX

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 04:21:27 pm »
...you forgot "Trust Me".

the dog ate them

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2016, 11:19:19 am »
I was under the impression that the only people to get audited every year were ones suspected of involvement in organised crime and money laundering, to create a paper trail.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2016, 03:23:00 pm »
I was under the impression that the only people to get audited every year were ones suspected of involvement in organised crime and money laundering, to create a paper trail.

I would think so, too.  Otherwise, why put the effort into it?

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2016, 06:05:41 pm »

Wingnut

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2016, 06:08:03 pm »
the dog ate them

his lap dog Chris Christie ate em!

HonestJohn

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2016, 08:51:48 pm »

If Trump is a Christian, then I'm a Muslim..

Careful, some might demand you be expelled from this country since your now a 'Muslim'.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 08:52:06 pm by HonestJohn »