Author Topic: Donald Trump: We're going to 'open up' libel laws  (Read 2257 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Donald Trump: We're going to 'open up' libel laws
« on: February 26, 2016, 08:53:53 pm »

Donald Trump said on Friday he plans to change libel laws in the United States so that he can have an easier time suing news organizations.

During a rally in Fort Worth, Texas, Trump began his usual tirade against newspapers such as The New York Times and The Washington Post, saying they're "losing money" and are "dishonest." The Republican presidential candidate then took a different turn, suggesting that when he's president they'll "have problems."

"One of the things I'm going to do if I win, and I hope we do and we're certainly leading. I'm going to open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win lots of money. We're going to open up those libel laws. So when The New York Times writes a hit piece which is a total disgrace or when The Washington Post, which is there for other reasons, writes a hit piece, we can sue them and win money instead of having no chance of winning because they're totally protected," Trump said.

Under current law, largely determined at the state instead of federal level, public persons, such as politicians, can win a suit against a media organization only if the person can prove that the publication published information with actual malice, knowing it to be wholly incorrect, as well as in cases of reckless disregard. The case that set this precedent — New York Times Co. v. Sullivan — was decided by the Supreme Court in 1964.

"You see, with me, they're not protected, because I'm not like other people but I'm not taking money. I'm not taking their money," Trump said on Friday. "We're going to open up libel laws, and we're going to have people sue you like you've never got sued before."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/02/donald-trump-libel-laws-219866#ixzz41JF13JLZ

I guess it is proof that Donald Trump hates Freedom of the Press. 
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Donald Trump: We're going to 'open up' libel laws
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 08:58:16 pm »
This certainly doesn't have and Totalitarian overtones, does it.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 09:00:27 pm »
This certainly doesn't have and Totalitarian overtones, does it.

Hey who cares just as long as our guy is Totalitarian who cares.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 09:01:28 pm »
Let me guess, he was misquoted, the Slimes and Compost deserve it, it won't happen to us good guys, etc.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 09:03:30 pm »
Let me guess, he was misquoted, the Slimes and Compost deserve it, it won't happen to us good guys, etc.

Nah...  It won't you are just paranoid.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 09:03:50 pm »
He's full of it.

HE can't do jack without Congress and a GOP House will never agree to curtail freedom of speech.  And threatening media for criticizing a public figure  is a loser in a libel suit anyway.

Most libel laws are state laws, and he has nothing to say about those.

But this is just another example of Trump's bullying and willingness to use the power of government to suppress dissent toward him.

Very Hugo Chavez of him.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 09:06:14 pm »
He's full of it.

HE can't do jack without Congress and a GOP House will never agree to curtail freedom of speech.  And threatening media for criticizing a public figure  is a loser in a libel suit anyway.

Most libel laws are state laws, and he has nothing to say about those.

But this is just another example of Trump's bullying and willingness to use the power of government to suppress dissent toward him.

Very Hugo Chavez of him.

Also it proves he doesn't support the 10th amendment.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 09:23:02 pm »
I SO want a POTUS who makes it up as he goes along.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 10:15:06 pm »
I SO want a POTUS who makes it up as he goes along.

We already have one of those now. Don'tcha see how well it's going?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 10:16:23 pm »
On top of all this news, we almost missed the birth of @realDonaldTrump's fifth wife.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 12:15:00 am »
Donald Trump is going after the media, threatening to sue publications for writing negatively about him.

During a Friday rally in Texas, Trump launched into a monologue about how he felt that the media was treating him unfairly, alleging that the New York Times and Washington Post, in particular, were not covering him well.

“The New York Times, which is losing a fortune, which is a failing newspaper, which probably won’t be around much longer … but I think the New York Times is one of the most dishonest media outlets I’ve ever seen in my life,” the businessman said. “They have an agenda that you wouldn’t believe.”

“If I become president, oh, do they have problems. They’re gonna have such problems,” Trump said.

He added:

"One of the things I’m gonna do, and this is only gonna make it tougher for me, and I’ve never said this before, but one of the things I’m gonna do if I win … is I’m gonna open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win lots of money. We’re gonna open up those libel laws."

"So that when the New York Times writes a hit piece which is a total disgrace, or when the Washington Post … writes a hit piece, we can sue them and win money, instead of having no chance of winning because they’re totally protected."

Trump continued his speech, threatening to roll back the media’s First Amendment protections in the Constitution.

“With me, they’re not protected, because I’m not like other people… We’re gonna open up those libel laws, folks, and we’re gonna have people sue you like you never got sued before,” he said.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/02/26/donald-trump-threatens-to-sue-media-outlets-as-president-with-me-theyre-not-protected/

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 12:58:30 am »
Donald Trump is going after the media, threatening to sue publications for writing negatively about him.

During a Friday rally in Texas, Trump launched into a monologue about how he felt that the media was treating him unfairly, alleging that the New York Times and Washington Post, in particular, were not covering him well.

“The New York Times, which is losing a fortune, which is a failing newspaper, which probably won’t be around much longer … but I think the New York Times is one of the most dishonest media outlets I’ve ever seen in my life,” the businessman said. “They have an agenda that you wouldn’t believe.”

“If I become president, oh, do they have problems. They’re gonna have such problems,” Trump said.

He added:

"One of the things I’m gonna do, and this is only gonna make it tougher for me, and I’ve never said this before, but one of the things I’m gonna do if I win … is I’m gonna open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win lots of money. We’re gonna open up those libel laws."

"So that when the New York Times writes a hit piece which is a total disgrace, or when the Washington Post … writes a hit piece, we can sue them and win money, instead of having no chance of winning because they’re totally protected."

Trump continued his speech, threatening to roll back the media’s First Amendment protections in the Constitution.

“With me, they’re not protected, because I’m not like other people… We’re gonna open up those libel laws, folks, and we’re gonna have people sue you like you never got sued before,” he said.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/02/26/donald-trump-threatens-to-sue-media-outlets-as-president-with-me-theyre-not-protected/

So if Hillary said exactly the same thing - that she intends to weaponize libel laws to use against a critical press and political enemies - you'd be OK with that? Also do you hate the Constitution?? Do you realize the Constitution is a suicide pact??

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 01:03:19 am »
Are we sure Trump isn't a $cientologist?

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 01:11:55 am »
There is no clause in the first amendment, freedom of speech and freedom of the press that says what is to be printed has to be true. King George would think all of what Ben Franklin and Thomas Paine wrote against the king was a lie and would hold them accountable by the neck if he got the chance.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 01:17:10 am »
. . . I’m gonna open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win lots of money.

Note the phrasing: "purposely negative and horrible and false articles." Note the priority placed upon the merely "purposely negative." As if he has
designs upon using or expanding the libel laws first to quash mere criticism.

Of course this isn't the first time an actual or would-be president sought to use the laws, if not the apparatus of government, to quash criticism,
so in that regard Mr. Trump is hardly unique. But this is one of the most flagrant proclamations of such intent I can remember in a lifetime
of watching the nation's largest organised crime family (by which I do not mean the Mafia!) . . . and a further exposure of The Donald as
a constitutional pygmy.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 01:19:22 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 01:47:28 am »

So if Hillary said exactly the same thing - that she intends to weaponize libel laws to use against a critical press and political enemies - you'd be OK with that? Also do you hate the Constitution?? Do you realize the Constitution is a suicide pact??

=================================

'weaponize' libel laws is not the same thing as suing for libel.

The option is there for anyone.  The burden is on the claimant.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 01:49:16 am »
=================================

'weaponize' libel laws is not the same thing as suing for libel.

The option is there for anyone.  The burden is on the claimant.

Newsflash: There have states that libel laws.. So there is no need to fix it. I guess Trump hates the 10th Amendment.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 01:49:38 am by kevindavis »

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 01:50:32 am »

Newsflash: There have states that libel laws.. So there is no need to fix it. I guess Trump hates the 10th Amendment.

======================

File a lawsuit on him for libel.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 02:29:39 am »
I'm starting to believe in reincarnation.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 02:53:56 am »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 02:55:48 am by EasyAce »

HonestJohn

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 04:06:43 am »
So am I . . .

Careful.  The Mods like to pull Trump-Hitler comparisons.  It makes Trump supporters violent.  I learned from personal experience.

Online libertybele

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 01:20:01 pm »

Also it proves he doesn't support the 10th amendment.

Exactly.  I also doubt that Trump even knows how the three branches of government operates. He feels since he is Donald J. Trump he can do what he wants.  He has lots of money, he's made lots of money. He's going to build a wall, "We have to build a wall. It's going to be a great wall. They're going to call it the Trump Wall."  After all; “The line of ‘Make America great again,’ is Trump's phrase, "that was mine, I came up with it about a year ago, and I kept using it, and everybody’s using it, they are all loving it. I don’t know I guess I should copyright it, maybe I have copyrighted it.”

What a buffoon!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 01:22:05 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Wingnut

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2016, 01:43:16 pm »

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 02:15:57 pm »
Exactly.  I also doubt that Trump even knows how the three branches of government operates. He feels since he is Donald J. Trump he can do what he wants.  He has lots of money, he's made lots of money. He's going to build a wall, "We have to build a wall. It's going to be a great wall. They're going to call it the Trump Wall."  After all; “The line of ‘Make America great again,’ is Trump's phrase, "that was mine, I came up with it about a year ago, and I kept using it, and everybody’s using it, they are all loving it. I don’t know I guess I should copyright it, maybe I have copyrighted it.”

What a buffoon!

That is my number one reason why I will not support Trump.  He just doesn't know how this Government operates and I don't think he respects the Constitution..