Author Topic: Peggy Noonan: Trump and the Rise of the Unprotected: Why political professionals are struggling to make sense of the world they created.  (Read 6852 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Peggy Noonan
The Wall Street Journal via Investor Village
February 25, 2016

We're in a funny moment. Those who do politics for a living, some of them quite brilliant, are struggling to comprehend the central fact Republican primary race, while regular people have already absorbed what has happened and is happening. Journalists and politicos have been sharing schemes for how Marco parlays a victory out of winning nowhere, or Ted roars back, or Kasich has to finish second in Ohio. But in my experience any nonpolitical person on the street, when asked who will win, not only knows but gets a look as if you're teasing him. Trump, they say.

I had such a conversation again Tuesday with a friend who repairs shoes in a shop on Lexington Avenue. Jimmy asked me, conversationally, what was going to happen. I deflected and asked who he thinks is going to win. "Troomp!" He's a very nice man, an elderly, old-school Italian-American, but I saw impatience flick across his face: Aren't you supposed to know these things?

In America now only normal people are capable of seeing the obvious.

But actually that's been true for a while, and is how we got in the position we're in.
More

Offline GAJohnnie

I hope Ms Noonan's article provokes some introspection in the Conservative Media and politicans.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Peggy gets it. A a little over 200 years ago the disconnection was summed up in four words from the "protected."  Let Them Eat Cake.  The result was not pretty for those that ignored the warnings all around them and continued to treat the population as their vassals.

If our political class, the professionals, want to know what made Trump possible, they only need to look in the mirror. They should be thankful we have the tradition of the ballot box - they should thank our founders who they ignore and even disparage - because withou that traditional outlet the only recourse for the unprotected would be bloodshed...and the blood that would flow would be mostly that of those that thought themselves "protected" from the harsh cruelty of the real world.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline sinkspur

The funny thing about what's happening is that Trump is at the top of the protected class and has made his living exploiting the unprotected.

He won't do a damn thing for the unprotected.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline PzLdr

I hope Ms Noonan's article provokes some introspection in the Conservative Media and politicans.

Never gonna happen. They're as thick as the Fuehrerbunker.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

In America now only normal people are capable of seeing the obvious.

But actually that's been true for a while, and is how we got in the position we're in.

YIPPEE!!!   I'm "normal"!!       :tongue2:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline PzLdr

Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline DCPatriot

Peggy gets it. A a little over 200 years ago the disconnection was summed up in four words from the "protected."  Let Them Eat Cake.  The result was not pretty for those that ignored the warnings all around them and continued to treat the population as their vassals.

If our political class, the professionals, want to know what made Trump possible, they only need to look in the mirror. They should be thankful we have the tradition of the ballot box - they should thank our founders who they ignore and even disparage - because withou that traditional outlet the only recourse for the unprotected would be bloodshed...and the blood that would flow would be mostly that of those that thought themselves "protected" from the harsh cruelty of the real world.

Excellent summation, Scott.

We're storming our own 'Bastille'.    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot