Author Topic: Marco Rubio blasts Ted Cruz's "military-style roundup" of illegal immigrants  (Read 275 times)

HAPPY2BME

Coming off a distant second-place finish in Nevada's Republican caucuses, Marco Rubio joined "CBS This Morning" to discuss his campaign future and to take a jab at the recent immigration proposals of his closest rival, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz.

"Bottom line is I don't think this country supports -- and I do not -- military-style tactics," Rubio said early Wednesday. He also slammed Cruz's proposals as "a change of position" for the senator because Cruz is "under duress in this campaign."

Rubio was referring to Cruz's statements earlier this week where the Texas senator insisted that he would send Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers to round up any immigrants in the United States illegally -- not just those who have committed crimes. Cruz's positions echoed those of GOP front-runner Donald Trump, who has promised that he would deport all undocumented immigrants during his presidency.

"I do think we're gonna enforce the law," Rubio said. "There are people that are going to be deported. There are people who are being deported now. If you're here illegally in this country and you have a deportation order, you are going to be deported, especially if you are a dangerous criminal."

"But," he added, "I don't think this country is going to support -- nor do I think we need to pursue -- a military-style roundup of people in America."

Instead, Rubio advocated for immigration policies that were "reasonable and responsible," including securing the U.S.-Mexico border.

During his interview, Rubio also cautioned that it was still too early to crown a GOP nominee, even after Tuesday night's Nevada caucuses, where Trump dominated over the rest of the Republican pack.

"It's important to take a deep breath here," Rubio said. "It's not based on how many states you win -- it's based on how many delegates you picked up."

The Florida senator pointed out that several more states would be voting between the end of February and the middle of March, and that there were "plenty of states out there that -- in the winner-take-all category -- that if you win them, you more than catch up." He assured viewers that "we'll win in Florida now that Gov. Bush is no longer in the race."

Of Jeb Bush, who dropped out of the White House race shortly after polls closed in South Carolina's Republican primary Saturday night, Rubio said he has spoken to his former mentor. But, he added, "we haven't discussed an endorsement."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/marco-rubio-blasts-ted-cruzs-military-style-roundup-of-illegal-immigrants/

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Ooo, thanks Rubio. Cruz can play off that.
The Republic is lost.