Author Topic: McConnell: Senate won't act on Obama Supreme Court nominee  (Read 3075 times)

Offline flowers

McConnell: Senate won't act on Obama Supreme Court nominee
« on: February 23, 2016, 05:43:22 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/23/politics/joe-biden-supreme-court-senate-republicans/

Washington (CNN)Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell issued his most definitive statement on Tuesday: There will be no Supreme Court nominee confirmed in President Barack Obama's final year in office.

In a sharply worded statement on the Senate floor, McConnell bluntly warned the White House that the GOP-controlled Senate would not act on anyone he chooses to sit on the high court.

"Presidents have a right to nominate just as the Senate has its constitutional right to provide or withhold consent," McConnell said. "In this case, the Senate will withhold it."

The announcement prompted sharp criticism from Democrats, who contended that the GOP-led Senate was failing to do its job and would be risking its tenuous hold on the majority in the fall elections.

Liar.

Offline libertybele

Re: McConnell: Senate won't act on Obama Supreme Court nominee
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 05:53:06 pm »
... hmm... trying to recall when McConnell actually told the truth. We're supposed to believe that McConnell won't sell us out - why?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 06:29:01 pm »
Good. 

As Lady Thatcher admonished H.W.: "Don't go wobbly George ..."
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 06:42:43 pm by ArneFufkin »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 06:32:58 pm »
All you have to do McConnell, is do. See if that jello spine of yours can transmute back to bone on at least one issue.
The Republic is lost.

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 06:35:32 pm »
... hmm... trying to recall when McConnell actually told the truth. We're supposed to believe that McConnell won't sell us out - why?
Exactly! 

Offline Longiron

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 07:08:16 pm »
This first part of the RINOGOPe CAVE starting to be put in place. Make it look like we will FIGHT this and then we say we exhausted all forms a trying to STOP this but it is just to overwhelming and we have to CAVE this just one more time to look like we are reaching across the aisle to be bipartisan. All BS and SHOWTIME and they will expect people to believe this act. :#@$%:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 09:45:53 pm by Longiron »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 07:08:45 pm »
The cynicism on this thread is braindead.

McConnell's drawn a line in the sand and he'll hold to it.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Relic

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 07:10:22 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/23/politics/joe-biden-supreme-court-senate-republicans/

Liar.

Unless the donor class leans on us, or if the press begins being really mean, telling us we're obstructionists.

Then we'll have to give Obama whatever he wants.

Not for you! All for me! It's the GOPe!

Offline Relic

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 07:14:27 pm »

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 07:16:05 pm »

I agree.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 07:26:35 pm »
Unless the donor class leans on us, or if the press begins being really mean, telling us we're obstructionists.

Then we'll have to give Obama whatever he wants.

Not for you! All for me! It's the GOPe!

Why would the "donor class" (a slur) care about the Supreme Court?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 07:34:12 pm »
It's funny, you dislike certain candidates because they don't use facts, and hurl insults freely. I'm reminded of the pot and the kettle.

http://spectator.org/articles/61885/mitch-mcconnell-caves
http://www.teaparty.org/full-mcconnell-cave-senate-passes-dhs-funding-bill-68-31-immigration-restrictions-86185/
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/07/02/that-fighting-spirit-mitch-mcconnell-caves-says-same-sex-marriage-now-law-of-the-land/

You know, it seems people here don't know how the Senate works.  Don't fund DHS (shut down the government), fight over same sex marriage when it IS the law of the land, defund Obamacare (when Obama would never sign such a bill).

McConnell can't get bills signed that Obama doesn't like, no matter how much you want him to.  But he can stop Supreme Court nominees and I think he will.

Offline Relic

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 07:35:52 pm »
Why would the "donor class" (a slur) care about the Supreme Court?

You just asked that because you wanted to point out that I used what you consider a slur.
There is a donor class, is there not? Calling something what it is, is a slur? That's some pretty liberal thinking there.

If I have to explain to you why someone in America would want to influence the makeup of the SCOTUS, you're probably posting on the wrong forum.

Offline Relic

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 07:37:41 pm »
You know, it seems people here don't know how the Senate works.  Don't fund DHS (shut down the government), fight over same sex marriage when it IS the law of the land, defund Obamacare (when Obama would never sign such a bill).

McConnell can't get bills signed that Obama doesn't like, no matter how much you want him to.  But he can stop Supreme Court nominees and I think he will.

I disagree. I think he will fold to the pressure of the media.
The old school GOP still believes that it's important to make the media like you. They never figured out that the mere existence of Republicans brings hate from the media.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 07:41:27 pm »
I disagree. I think he will fold to the pressure of the media.
The old school GOP still believes that it's important to make the media like you. They never figured out that the mere existence of Republicans brings hate from the media.

And I disagree.

Offline Relic

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 07:42:56 pm »
And I disagree.

That's fair. We'll find out soon enough.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 07:44:03 pm »
This is an easy one for McConnell - all he needs do is nothing, and it is in his political interest to do just that.

There will be a couple of GOP squishes (e.g. - Lisa Murkowski, Susan Collins) who will get the vapors and rub their hands raw worrying about what the New York Times will say about them. But for the most part, every Republican in the Senate remembers which party is responsible for the word "Bork" being used as a verb and have not forgotten how Pat Leahy and Chuck Schumer prevented George W. Bush's Federal Court nominees from getting a hearing during the last 1 1/2 years of his presidency.   
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 07:45:50 pm »
That's fair. We'll find out soon enough.

Indeed.  And respectfully, I hope you don't mind that I'd prefer you be wrong on this one! 
John Steinbeck

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 07:48:17 pm »

Agreed. Once all the obstructionism on Judicial appointments by Dems from Obama/Biden on down was pointed out, the ability to sell the "President's deserves a vote" spin line from the Left became untenable. It was too obviously hypocritical.

Offline Relic

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 07:54:11 pm »
Indeed.  And respectfully, I hope you don't mind that I'd prefer you be wrong on this one!

Don't mind at all. In fact, we both hope I'm wrong.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 08:04:50 pm »
Don't mind at all. In fact, we both hope I'm wrong.

It's just that when you see the sun rise every morning you come to expect it.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 08:07:07 pm »
It's just that when you see the sun rise every morning you come to expect it.

Yes, in some ways that can be disconcerting.
John Steinbeck

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 08:07:34 pm »
This is an easy one for McConnell - all he needs do is nothing, and it is in his political interest to do just that.

There will be a couple of GOP squishes (e.g. - Lisa Murkowski, Susan Collins) who will get the vapors and rub their hands raw worrying about what the New York Times will say about them. But for the most part, every Republican in the Senate remembers which party is responsible for the word "Bork" being used as a verb and have not forgotten how Pat Leahy and Chuck Schumer prevented George W. Bush's Federal Court nominees from getting a hearing during the last 1 1/2 years of his presidency.

It's really in Grassley's court (so to speak), and neither of those you mentioned is on the Judiciary Committee.  Unless the nominee is from a state both with Democrat senators, the nomination can be blocked at that time.   The only possibility of the Judiciary Committee sending a nominee to the full Senate would be if Hatch and Graham voted with the Democrats to pass a nominee on to the full Senate.  Even then, manipulations by members of the Committee can stall it.  And then it would take McConnell to schedule it.  If the nominee gets to the full Senate, anyone can stall it by means of a filibuster thus requiring a 60 senator cloture vote.  I don't think seating a justice this term is a likely scenario.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2016, 08:21:25 pm »
It's really in Grassley's court (so to speak), and neither of those you mentioned is on the Judiciary Committee.  Unless the nominee is from a state both with Democrat senators, the nomination can be blocked at that time.   The only possibility of the Judiciary Committee sending a nominee to the full Senate would be if Hatch and Graham voted with the Democrats to pass a nominee on to the full Senate.  Even then, manipulations by members of the Committee can stall it.  And then it would take McConnell to schedule it.  If the nominee gets to the full Senate, anyone can stall it by means of a filibuster thus requiring a 60 senator cloture vote.  I don't think seating a justice this term is a likely scenario.

C'mon MAC, admit it... you were teacher's pet in civics class, weren't you?

Thanks for that!
John Steinbeck

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2016, 08:26:10 pm »
C'mon MAC, admit it... you were teacher's pet in civics class, weren't you?

Thanks for that!

She was so hot!   :bullie smokin:   :beer:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!