Author Topic: McConnell: Senate won't act on Obama Supreme Court nominee  (Read 3095 times)

Offline EdinVA

Re: McConnell: Senate won't act on Obama Supreme Court nominee
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2016, 09:05:49 pm »
This is an easy one for McConnell - all he needs do is nothing, and it is in his political interest to do just that.

Well, maybe McConnell can get this one right.... he has had plenty of practice at it... :)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2016, 09:12:39 pm »
McConnell's drawn a line in the sand and he'll hold to it.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I've seen too many lines drawn in too many sands that ended up getting erased by those who drew them.

And that, among other reasons, is why a) we ended up with eight years of His Excellency Al-Hashish Field Marshmallow
Dr. Barack Obama Dada, COD, RIP, LSMFT, Would-Be Life President of the Republic Formerly Known as the United
States; and, b) the Republican't Party now has a bull in its china shop who'd break the country after wasting the shop.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline flowers

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2016, 09:42:29 pm »
GOP Judiciary: No hearing on Obama court nominee

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/270423-gop-judiciary-no-hearing-on-obama-court-nominee

ADVERTISEMENT
"We believe the American people need to decide who is going to make this appointment rather than a lame-duck president," Senate Republican Whip John Cornyn (Texas) told reporters Tuesday after a special meeting of the committee.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said members of the panel reached a "consensus" that there should not be hearings or a vote on President Obama's nominee.

"My decision is that I don't think we should have a hearing. We should let the next president pick the Supreme Court justice," he said after emerging from a meeting in Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s (R-Ky.) office.

The committee Republicans left McConnell’s office and walked straight into a lunch with the party conference to brief their colleagues.

After the meeting, McConnell said the rest of the Senate Republican Conference backed the Judiciary Committee's unanimous position.

And given their recommendation, McConnell said, he wouldn't bother to even meet with an Obama nominee.

"The overwhelming view of the Republican conference in the Senate is this vacancy should not be filled by this lame-duck president," he told reporters.

Offline ArneFufkin

Offline Longiron

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2016, 10:44:57 pm »
Don't mind at all. In fact, we both hope I'm wrong.

Make that 3 but have reservations?  :beer:

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2016, 02:13:17 am »
Awesome!

:beer:

And since a hearing is up to the Judiciary Committee, that should be that.  And don't recess!
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2016, 02:38:48 am »
And since a hearing is up to the Judiciary Committee, that should be that.  And don't recess!

We have a couple of very conservative members of the Senate on the Judiciary Committee including Ted Cruz!  Unfortunately a RINO is the chairman.  Committee consists of 11 Republicans and 9 Democrats.

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/about/members
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2016, 03:05:12 am »
Grassley is not a "RINO."

God,  I hate that term. Robots use that term.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2016, 03:09:57 am »
Grassley is not a "RINO."

God,  I hate that term. Robots use that term.

Agree. Meaningless.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2016, 01:55:19 pm »
I thought Grassley was on board with the decision to abide by the "Biden rule."  He doesn't seem to be completely happy with it, but he also doesn't seem to want to buck his own committee.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2016, 02:29:51 pm »
I thought Grassley was on board with the decision to abide by the "Biden rule."  He doesn't seem to be completely happy with it, but he also doesn't seem to want to buck his own committee.

He is, as are almost all of the Republican senators.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2016, 02:41:32 pm »
I'm curious. How many RINO's are there exactly?   Is it a one-size-fits-all thing?  A yes/no proposition?  Is it purely objective?  Or is it subjective too?  Are there degrees or ranks to RINOism?  Might there be regional differences or definitions?  Is it a lifetime label or designation?   Can you lose the title or have it revoked?   And perhaps most importantly...

Who decides these things?
John Steinbeck

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2016, 02:49:32 pm »
I'm curious. How many RINO's are there exactly?   Is it a one-size-fits-all thing?  A yes/no proposition?  Is it purely objective?  Or is it subjective too?  Are there degrees or ranks to RINOism?  Might there be regional differences or definitions?  Is it a lifetime label or designation?   Can you lose the title or have it revoked?   And perhaps most importantly...

I just don't think you're taking this whole RINO thingy seriously enough.... :laugh:

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2016, 02:51:32 pm »

The term is completely meaningless.  At this point, it is evidence of wishful thinking, the Republican party, at the national level, is what you see being represented by the majority of the elected members and officials.  Not, "in name only."

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2016, 03:08:36 pm »
Chuck Grassely is the closest thing we have in the Senate to a bull dog! DEFINITELY not a RINO!

A RINO would be Mark Kirk  or John McCain!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2016, 06:59:48 pm »
I just don't think you're taking this whole RINO thingy seriously enough.... :laugh:

I thought I was over thinking it!   :beer:
John Steinbeck

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2016, 07:03:39 pm »
Chuck Grassely is the closest thing we have in the Senate to a bull dog! DEFINITELY not a RINO!

A RINO would be Mark Kirk  or John McCain!

Since Obama got in, yes very much so. He's old enough that the Honey Chuckster don't care what people think anymore. I'm glad Iowa has him for their Senator.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 07:04:04 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.