Author Topic: Ben Carson: ‘I Would Much Rather Lose Than Lie’ – My Christian Values Are ‘More Important Than Any Political Ambition’  (Read 495 times)

rangerrebew

Ben Carson: ‘I Would Much Rather Lose Than Lie’ – My Christian Values Are ‘More Important Than Any Political Ambition’

(CNSNews.com) – In an interview Friday with MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” GOP presidential candidate Dr. Ben Carson said he would “rather lose than lie” when asked if he would ever lie to the American people if he were president.

“I would much rather lose than lie. I take my examples from the life of Christ. I make no bones about the fact that I’m Christian, and I have Christian values, so that to me is much more important than any political ambition,” said Carson.

MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough asked Carson, “I’ll ask you a question that was asked of Hillary Clinton and she couldn’t answer it. So I’ll ask you yes, no. Would you ever lie to the American people if you are president?”

As CNSNews.com reported [1], Scarborough was referring to a CBS News interview [2] with Democratic presidential candidate and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Thursday.

CBS News’ Scott Pelley said, “You know, in ’76, Jimmy Carter famously said, ‘I will not lie to you.’”

“Well, I have to tell you I have tried in every way I know how literally from my years as a young lawyer all the way through my time as secretary of State to level with the American people,” Clinton said.

“You talk about leveling with the American people. Have you always told the truth? Pelley asked Clinton.

“I’ve always tried to. Always. Always,” Clinton responded.

“Some people are gonna call that wiggle room that you just gave yourself,” Pelley said.

“Well, no, I’ve always tried—” Clinton said.

“I mean, Jimmy Carter said, ‘I will never lie to you,’” Pelley said.

“Well, but you know, you’re asking me to say, ‘Have I ever?’ I don’t believe I ever have. I don’t believe I ever have. I don’t believe I ever will. I’m gonna do the best I can to level with the American people,” Clinton said.
Source URL: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/melanie-hunter/ben-carson-i-would-much-rather-lose-lie-my-christian-values-are-more

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
There is a lot to like about Ben Carson. 

But - I'm still baffled by his reaction to the Cruz/Rubio campaign's tweets about him leaving New Hampshire.  I find it concerning because he was either misinformed and acted on that misinformation, or he reacted emotionally and unfairly and shouldn't have.

I suspect something as grueling as a presidential campaign can bring out the worst in anyone.