Author Topic: Donald Trump supported the Iraq War in 2002  (Read 2329 times)

Offline sinkspur

Donald Trump supported the Iraq War in 2002
« on: February 20, 2016, 02:06:36 am »

Donald Trump Supported The Iraq War In 2002

ALEX PAPPAS
Political Reporter

12:16 PM 02/19/2016

Throughout the campaign, Donald Trump has routinely boasted how he was the only person now running for the Republican nomination for president that was against George W. Bush’s war in Iraq.

But it turns out Trump — in a 2002 interview with Howard Stern unearthed by BuzzFeed — actually publicly expressed support for the invasion. Asked if he supported the war by Stern, Trump said: “Yeah, I guess so. I wish the first time it was done correctly.”

Trump later became outspoken against the war. But his comments on Stern’s show contradict his characterization of his past views, expressed as recently as during last weekend’s debate in South Carolina.

During the CBS debate, Trump said: “I’m the only one on this stage that said, ‘Do not go into Iraq. Do not attack Iraq.’ Nobody else on this stage said that. And I said it loud and strong. And I was in the private sector. I wasn’t a politician, fortunately. But I said it, and I said it loud and clear, ‘You’ll destabilize the Middle East.’ That’s exactly what happen."

Asked about these comments on Thursday evening, Trump told CNN’s Anderson Cooper: “By the time the war started, I was against it, and shortly thereafter, I was really against.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/02/19/donald-trump-supported-the-iraq-war-in-2002/#ixzz40faM8Je3
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Donald Trump supported the Iraq War in 2002
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 02:06:53 am »
Habitual liars lie, habitually.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 02:17:55 am »
Trump, day after Iraq Invasion:  'It's a tremendous success."

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/270083-trump-day-after-iraq-invasion-its-a-tremendous-success

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 03:43:43 am »

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 03:51:23 am »
Hmmm...
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 04:16:52 am »
Baba booey Baba booey Baba booey.

(Extremely entertaining that Howard Stern is now involved in the political debate)

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 04:39:52 am »

In 2002, everybody was for the war. Images of collapsing towers with people jumping to their deaths was still burning in our minds. Everyone was for the war, Republicans, Democrats, the Amish, everyone. Support was above 90 percent. It wasn't cool to be against the war.

But, by 2003-4 it had become okay to question the Iraq invasion. There are dozens of radio interviews in 2003 and 2004 of Donald Trump blasting the war as the biggest mistake. Mark Simone had dozens of conversations with Trump. Trump was dead set against the invasion. It's public knowledge.

Now I heard a replay of the Howard Stern interview in 2002 with Donald Trump, answering Stern's question with a halfhearted, "yes, I guess so" when he asked if Trump supported the war. That was 2002 when NO ONE was expressing anything but solidarity with George W Bush and the war effort.

So to use this as an example of Trump lying is disingenuous and deliberately mischaracterizing Trump's position on the war.

Typical of Trump's  detractors, grabbing at straws.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 04:43:46 am »
Trump lied, blatantly, about opposing the Iraq War before it started.

Doesn't matter to the Trump supporters though.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 04:52:54 am »
Trump lied, blatantly, about opposing the Iraq War before it started.

Doesn't matter to the Trump supporters though.

Trump was against the war, thought it was a mistake to go in, and in 2003 and 2004, express that to Mark Simone who has tapes of those interviews with Trump blasting the war.

*The preceding was expressed using standard English. For translation to your language send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to TBR Central--also available in braille*

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 04:38:02 pm »
Trump was against the war, thought it was a mistake to go in, and in 2003 and 2004, express that to Mark Simone who has tapes of those interviews with Trump blasting the war.

*The preceding was expressed using standard English. For translation to your language send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to TBR Central--also available in braille*

https://soundcloud.com/buzzfeedandrew/trump-on-the-howard-stern-show-on-sept-11-2002

Trump was for the invasion in 2002
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 04:43:02 pm »

He was for the war in 2002.  In addition, he lied when he said there were transcripts of him saying he opposed the war before it started.

None exist.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 05:33:49 pm »
In the immediate post 9/11 environment most people supported, or at least accepted, the Iraq War.  We craved security and we wanted revenge -- any revenge.

But the question "what the hell are we doing?" was raised soon after the war started -- albeit whispered in Republican circles.  What American interest was being served by the massive loss of blood and treasure?  What mission was accomplished and how did it make us safer?  What revenge did we extract?

Yes, Obama ending the Iraq War as he did was a disgrace.  But sooner or later we will have to come to grips with the truth that Obama's actions compounded the original mistake ---- and that was starting this war. 

Nothing good has -- or will  -- come from it.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 05:44:04 pm »
In the immediate post 9/11 environment most people supported, or at least accepted, the Iraq War.  We craved security and we wanted revenge -- any revenge.

But the question "what the hell are we doing?" was raised soon after the war started -- albeit whispered in Republican circles.  What American interest was being served by the massive loss of blood and treasure?  What mission was accomplished and how did it make us safer?  What revenge did we extract?

Yes, Obama ending the Iraq War as he did was a disgrace.  But sooner or later we will have to come to grips with the truth that Obama's actions compounded the original mistake ---- and that was starting this war. 

Uh-huh.

The Donald as the conscience of the nation.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 05:48:02 pm »

Point made much better than I could.

An objective assessment of the public's mood today is that the Iraq war was a big mistake. It killed the GOP in 2006; we lost the governorships, the house and the senate.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 05:51:26 pm »

An objective assessment of the public's mood today is that the Iraq war was a big mistake. It killed the GOP in 2006; we lost the governorships, the house and the senate.

That's due to Obama's decision to withdraw a stabilizing force.  Iraq in 2010 was on its way to being a functioning democracy. The surge worked.

2006 was not just about the Iraq war and you know it.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 06:08:45 pm »

I love hindsight mages.

Public support for the invasion of Iraq was in the 70%+ range. Bush's job approval was in the 70% range as well.

The reaction to a decision NOT to invade Iraq would have been more immediate and perhaps more devastating and the GOP would have lost all that ground years earlier.

We ALLOWED the left to do what they did.

Let's lay out a theoretical scenario.

Had Bush taken office then ordered every single person from the ME in the US on any type of visa arrested and deported then ordered the bombing of Al Qaida training camps in Afghanistan, talk of arresting Bush on crimes against humanity charges would have been the topic of conversation at nearly every table at the Windows on The World, high atop the Twin Towers on September 2002.

Invading Iraq was the right thing to do. Allowing the defeatist forces of the left to redefine the warn was wrong.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 06:20:30 pm »
I love hindsight mages.

Actually, it's the fullness of history.  History is judging the affects of this war on the geopolitical shifts in the Middle East --- the strengthening of Iran's influence and control and the neutering of Iraq---the Mid East nation that kept Iran in check.

If we had had a crystal ball in 2002 and saw the actual outcomes of our excursion, would you have supported it?   

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 06:23:59 pm »
I'm no Trump supporter, but he didn't lie about anything. He believed one thing and then he changed his mind and now believes another. What's wrong with correcting your positions?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 06:27:58 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 06:28:46 pm »
What's wrong with being able to examine your positions and correct them?

It's one thing to learn from past actions.  It's quite another to use hindsight to cast blame when all known facts at the time cast Saddam Hussein as a threat.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2016, 06:28:58 pm »
I'm no Trump supporter, but he didn't lie about anything. He believed one thing and then he changed his mind and now believes another. What's wrong with correcting your positions?

But that's not what he said.

He said that he opposed the Iraqi war before the war.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2016, 06:30:27 pm »

He did lie. He said he opposed the war before it started, in 2003.  There is no evidence of that, anywhere.  In fact, there is evidence he supported the war in 2002. 

Trump's a habitual liar and liars lie, all the time.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2016, 06:32:57 pm »
Actually, it's the fullness of history.  History is judging the affects of this war on the geopolitical shifts in the Middle East --- the strengthening of Iran's influence and control and the neutering of Iraq---the Mid East nation that kept Iran in check.

If we had had a crystal ball in 2002 and saw the actual outcomes of our excursion, would you have supported it?

What are you assuming that this crystal ball would have shown had we NOT responded as we did and to the fullness of our response when the Arab world saw that the US would (at best) muster a weak response to having her citizens slaughtered on her own soil?

The point is that crystal balls do not exist.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2016, 06:36:19 pm »

To most other supporters, the answer to your question is: I hate Trump. (either that or Trump's insane, he's Mussolini, or he's vulgar--let's see if the oddsmakers take a beating)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2016, 06:39:41 pm »
But that's not what he said.

He said that he opposed the Iraqi war before the war.

Oops, that's what I get for not paying attention.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2016, 06:39:48 pm »
The point is that crystal balls do not exist. 

Fair enough. 

But we do have results.  So, are you pleased with the outcomes of removing Saddam?