Author Topic: GOP closes ranks around McConnell’s stance (SCOTUS nomination)  (Read 808 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
GOP closes ranks around McConnell’s stance (SCOTUS nomination)
« on: February 19, 2016, 05:27:09 pm »
http://www.austindailyherald.com/2016/02/gop-closes-ranks-around-mcconnells-stance/

WASHINGTON — Senate Republicans worked to close ranks Thursday around their leader’s opposition to President Barack Obama picking a new Supreme Court justice, arguing they would be well within their right to refuse to confirm a nominee in Obama’s final year in office.

A day after signs of splintering emerged within the GOP, Republicans mounted a display of unity in the form of a joint op-ed by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky and Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Charles Grassley of Iowa. Other Republicans walked back earlier comments that had opened the door to granting a hearing and possibly a vote to Obama’s choice to replace Justice Antonin Scalia.

The series of apparent U-turns illustrated the turmoil in the Republican Party about how to handle the unexpected death of Scalia, a conservative stalwart. Obama and Democrats are hoping an overreaction by Republicans will prompt a political backlash that could galvanize support for Obama’s nominee and also invigorate Democratic voters in the November elections.

“No one disputes the president’s authority to nominate a successor to Scalia,” McConnell and Grassley wrote in The Washington Post. But they argued that inconvenient as it may be for Obama, “the Constitution grants the Senate the power to provide — or as the case may be, withhold — its consent.”

Tellingly, the senators didn’t say whether Obama’s nominee should at least get a hearing — just that they’d be justified in refusing an up-or-down vote.

Though most of the GOP’s presidential candidates oppose Obama picking Scalia’s replacement, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush seemed to come to Obama’s defense. He told a CNN town hall that he “probably would” nominate if in Obama’s position.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Longiron

Re: GOP closes ranks around McConnell’s stance (SCOTUS nomination)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 06:24:24 pm »
Showtime and that is all. Pretend to look like a fight because of an election year and CAVE when somebody thinks of a good enough reason that you scumbags can SPIN. All BS and let the show begin!!!! :amen:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 06:28:30 pm »

I doubt anybody will come back and say they were wrong, when the GOP Senate does NOT confirm an Obama nominee.

Want to place bets?

1. They will confirm and,
2. That anybody will come back and admit they were wrong.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 06:34:55 pm »
Put me down on your record:

I say that the Senate will NOT confirm 0baa's initial nominee.
I further say that they will confirm one of his subsequent nominees.
I will come back here and say that I am wrong if either of the above are proven false!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 06:42:51 pm »

I will come back here and say that I am wrong if either of the above are proven false!
Fair enough
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Longiron

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 06:43:04 pm »

Part of the plan because of a election year. Bottom line they will CAVE and put a liberal radical next into the SCOTUS and the RINOGOPe will CAVE. :beer:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 06:47:40 pm »
They will not approve ANY Obama nominee at least until after the election in November and if they do they are well and truly TOAST as a national political party!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien