Author Topic: Donald Trump On ObamaCare: ‘I Like the Mandate’  (Read 8420 times)

HAPPY2BME

Donald Trump On ObamaCare: ‘I Like the Mandate’
« on: February 18, 2016, 01:38:30 am »
I have been studying health care policy for 20 years now. I am also a multi-state licensed health insurance broker who continues to operate in an increasingly less competitive and more bureaucratically controlled system on both the federal and state level. During the last 20 years I have seen a lot of changes in the U.S. health care system. Some of them good (HIPAA) and some bad (Reagan’s EMTALA) the PPACA a.k.a. “Obamacare” etc.

During the last two decades I have read everything I could get my hands on pertaining to health care policy. I also spent the longest two weeks of my entire life reading the PPACA – Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act – shortly after it was passed into law on March 23, 2010. I have also appeared on television,radio and written expert commentary on health care policy on this blog and for professional business journals around the country. If there is one thing I know it is health care policy and if there is another thing I know it is a lie when I hear it.

I have bit my tongue long enough. As a delegate for Senator Ted Cruz I have been placed into a difficult and increasingly uncomfortable position and now I have had enough! Continuing to support Senator Cruz after he repeats incorrectly and ad nauseum that “A vote for Donald Trump is a vote for Obamacare“ and, that “if you vote Donald Trump, you vote for Bernie Sanders-style socialized medicine.“ Or even worse that Trump, Clinton and Sanders “have the identical position on health care” has forced me into a crisis of conscience. These are statements that even the left leaning Politifact has correctly identified as FALSE.

There are two things I detest above all others. Lies and intellectual laziness. There are far too many of my fellow “Cruzers” who either refuse to do the necessary research on Mr. Trump’s health care proposals or are simply too lazy to simply read his actual policy proposals as outlined in both his books “Time To Get Tough” from 2011 and his latest book “Crippled America” from 2015. Therefore, I have linked the pertinent sections pertaining to Mr. Trump’s actualhealth care policy proposals below.

CLICK HERE TO READ CHAPTER 8 of Mr. Trump’s book “Time To Get Tough“.
CLICK HERE TO READ CHAPTER 7 of Mr. Trump’s book “Crippled America.”

As you read through chapter 8 of “Time To Get Tough” and you read through chapter 7 of “Crippled America” you will not find Mr. Trump calling for “Single Payer” health care coverage anywhere. In fact, in chapter 7 of “Crippled America” you will find that Mr. Trump specifically disavows his tepid and earlier support for a Single Payer system as one of the options he was considering as a person in the private sector more than 15 years ago.

He also calls for repeal and replace of Obamacare not “expansion of Obamacare” as Senator Cruz falsely states that he does.

Furthermore, in both books he calls for the following private sector reforms. Some of which are also called for under both Senator Cruz’s health care reform policy proposal and Dr. Ben Carson’s proposal. In addition to federal and state reforms. They are:

1.) Repeal of the McCarran Ferguson Act so health insurance can be sold across state lines.
2.) Expansion of Health Savings Accounts to promote price transparency & accountability.
3.) Tort (or Medical Malpractice Reform)
4.) Reform of our health care social safety nets such as Medicaid.

5.) Mr. Trump has most recently added necessary reforms to be made to our broken Veteran’s Administration health care system specifically because it, like all other Single Payer systems is an unmitigated disaster!

“But Steve, Trump said he wants “Universal Healthcare! I heard him say it on CBS!!” Yes, he did. So what does Mr. Trump mean by “universal” healthcare? For that we simply have to look up the definition of the word ‘universal”. According to Miriam Webster’s dictionary the term “universal” means “existing or available for everyone”. That does not mean ‘Single Payer’ nor does it mean ‘government controlled’! It means a health care system where everyone has access to some form of health care delivery. That is what I want. That is what Senator Cruz wants and that’s what nearly every politician on both sides of the isle wants. Affordable access to health care services for everyone. How do we do that? When it comes to Medicaid, you can look to former Governor Mitch Daniel’s reforms that worked in Indiana or more recently to Governor Scott Walker’s reforms that were made in Wisconsin. There are other ideas also.

Most importantly when it comes to the vast majority of Americans this is what Mr. Trump actually says at the end of chapter 7 of “Crippled America” and I quote:

“..we still need a plan to bring down health care costs and to make health care insurance (not a top down, authoritative Single Payer health care system) more affordable for everyone. It starts with increasing competition between insurance companies. Competition makes everything better and more affordable.”

But Steve! Trump said “the government is going to pay for it.” I saw it on CBS!”

Yes, he did. Firstly, the government pays for nothing. It confiscates wealth from taxpayers and redistributes it. Secondly, we taxpayers
already pay to provide health care services to millions of our nation’s indigent and those who are developmentally disabled. We also subsidize programs such as Medicare Part D and other health care programs. We will continue to do so because Americans are compassionate people who seek to help those who are truly in need. I say truly in need because under the PPACA (Obamacare) we expanded Medicaid to single adults without children who happen to fall below 138% of the Federal Poverty Level. In doing so we robbed those finite resources from single mothers and the developmentally disabled. That is not helping those who are truly in need and this among other reasons is why Trump wants Obamacare repealed and replaced with a “universal” health care system that encourages more competition among private health insurers with an emphasis on reforming how taxpayers pay for our health care safety net.

https://csteventucker.wordpress.com/2016/02/11/no-senator-cruz-donald-trump-does-not-want-single-payer-health-care/

Offline aligncare

Re: Donald Trump On ObamaCare: ‘I Like the Mandate’
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 01:52:07 am »

People have made up their minds. Don't bother them with facts. This is election politics. It doesn't get any dirtier than this.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 01:54:15 am »
“But Steve, Trump said he wants “Universal Healthcare! I heard him say it on CBS!!” Yes, he did. So what does Mr. Trump mean by “universal” healthcare? For that we simply have to look up the definition of the word ‘universal”. According to Miriam Webster’s dictionary the term “universal” means “existing or available for everyone”. That does not mean ‘Single Payer’ nor does it mean ‘government controlled’! It means a health care system where everyone has access to some form of health care delivery. That is what I want. That is what Senator Cruz wants and that’s what nearly every politician on both sides of the isle wants. Affordable access to health care services for everyone.
That's the problem, Mr. Tucker.

Some of us DON'T WANT IT. Some of us are outraged that the government is trying to force us into buying something we do not need or use, solely to subsidize the cost of those who are using it—and even more furious at the Supreme Court for saying our government is allowed to extort people under that guise or almost any other. Anyone who continues to demand "universal" health care is demanding we pay into an "insurance" system we have no need or want to actually use.

Donald Trump has no intention of pushing for a repeal of the individual mandate. Ted Cruz fought on the floor of the Senate for weeks, against much of his own party, trying to get it repealed.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 01:55:43 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 01:59:35 am »
It means a health care system where everyone has access to some form of health care delivery.

Everyone has access to some form of health care delivery NOW.  Trump wants everybody covered, which means the individual mandate will have to stay in place or insurance companies will drop out.

Then, how does he cover everybody?  Single payer.

Trump was a Democrat until  year or two ago.  So naturally he's pimping Democrat ideas.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 02:08:25 am »
The thing about an entertainer who tries to be all things to all people and changes his message depending on the audience, is one could make the case that person stands for just about anything. They also can't be counted on to consistently stand for or against anything they claim.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 02:27:53 am »
The specific problem is insurance for persons with pre-existing medical conditions.   There's really one two basic ways to go - a single payer (a misnomer, a more descriptive name is collectively financed) system,  or a competitive system of insurance  based on individual and/or employer decisions enforced by a mandate. 

All the stuff suggested by Mr. Tucker is nice, but doesn't address access to insurance for persons with pre-existing medical conditions.   To do that, you either have to expand the insurance pool,  or move from private insurance to public (collective) financing.   

There are some real advantages to collective financing.   If medical insurance is financed by general taxation,  its cost is spread without regard to the medical circumstances of the insured.   That's likely the choice that would be made in a Rawlesian world.   And because in America employers bear the primary burden of paying for health insurance,   a move to collective financing would instantly make U.S. employees more competitive. 

But collective financing doesn't have to mean socialized medicine.   The big drawback to single payer is the strong susceptibility to the rationing of medical care.  Collective financing should take the form of credits to a portable insurance savings account,  that can be used by each consumer to strike his own bargain regarding how much health care risk to insure for,  and how much to finance out of pocket.   
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 02:30:32 am by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 02:49:47 am »
Not that long ago Trump declared that single payer health care was a great idea.  He stated that it worked well in Scotland (sorry I can't remember the second country.  Next up he said we have to insure poor people because we can't let them die in the street.
We are not Calcutta, people do not die in the street here.  Trump's rants from the hip are ludicrous but then he denies ever saying them often only days later.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 03:06:50 am »
Not that long ago Trump declared that single payer health care was a great idea.  He stated that it worked well in Scotland (sorry I can't remember the second country.  Next up he said we have to insure poor people because we can't let them die in the street.
We are not Calcutta, people do not die in the street here.  Trump's rants from the hip are ludicrous but then he denies ever saying them often only days later.

Uncanny, isn't it?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 03:21:20 am »
Uncanny, isn't it?

Doesn't matter to you that your boy is a blatant liar.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 03:42:03 am »
Doesn't matter to you that your boy is a blatant liar.

Says you
                   :knifefight:

Talk to libertybele about Rubio's lies. Or Rubio about Cruz's lies. Or Trump about Cruz's lies.

Look, arguing liars in politics is pointless in a heated election.

Battle lines are drawn, everyone's got a favorite, just let it go at that.  :pillowfight:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 03:44:06 am »

Says you
                   :knifefight:

Talk to libertybele about Rubio's lies. Or Rubio about Cruz's lies. Or Trump about Cruz's lies.

Look, arguing liars in politics is pointless in a heated election.

Battle lines are drawn, everyone's got a favorite, just let it go at that.  :pillowfight:

It doesn't matter to you.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 04:06:40 am »
It doesn't matter to you.

Do Rubio's lies matter to you?

Do Cruz's lies matter to Bigun? (sorry, to drag you in Bigun)

It's 50 state elections. Voters overlook what other candidates' supporters say about their candidate.

Isn't that a given?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 04:09:47 am »
Even when the words come out of Trumps mouth in front of a TV camera, he still never said it. Fascinating....

Donald Trump: Obamacare’s going to be repealed and replaced. Obamacare is a disaster if you look at what’s going on with premiums where they’re up 40, 50, 55 percent.

Scott Pelley: How do you fix it?

Donald Trump: There’s many different ways, by the way. Everybody’s got to be covered. This is an un-Republican thing for me to say because a lot of times they say, “No, no, the lower 25 percent that can’t afford private. But–”

Scott Pelley: Universal health care.

Donald Trump: I am going to take care of everybody. I don’t care if it costs me votes or not. Everybody’s going to be taken care of much better than they’re taken care of now.

Scott Pelley: The uninsured person is going to be taken care of. How? How?

Donald Trump: They’re going to be taken care of. I would make a deal with existing hospitals to take care of people. And, you know what, if this is probably–

Scott Pelley: Make a deal? Who pays for it?

Donald Trump: —the government’s gonna pay for it. But we’re going to save so much money on the other side. But for the most it’s going to be a private plan and people are going to be able to go out and negotiate great plans with lots of different competition with lots of competitors with great companies and they can have their doctors, they can have plans, they can have everything.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/28/trump-pushes-single-payer-healthcare-tax-increase-on-wealthy/

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 04:15:22 am »
Do Rubio's lies matter to you?

Do Cruz's lies matter to Bigun? (sorry, to drag you in Bigun)

It's 50 state elections. Voters overlook what other candidates' supporters say about their candidate.

Isn't that a given?

No problem!

I'm still waiting for someone to actually SHOW me a Cruz lie!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 04:29:58 am »
No problem!

===================================

ANNUAL CHECKUP TIME

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 05:00:18 am »
Cruz Delegate Quits Cruz in Disgust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMvuuywiQcw

Published on Feb 16, 2016

Link to Tucker's blog: http://linkis.com/wordpress.com/g8dTg

C. Steven Tucker, a nationally-recognized healthcare policy expert and a delegate to the Republican convention for Ted Cruz, has come out publicly that he is abandoning Cruz because of his inability to tell the truth.
“I have bit my tongue long enough. As a delegate for Senator Ted Cruz I have been placed into a difficult and increasingly uncomfortable position and now I have had enough.”
“Donald Trump does NOT want Single Payer health care.”
Tucker, a 20-year licensed health insurance broker from Illinois has appeared on television and radio as a health care policy expert.
“If there is one thing I know it is health care policy and if there is another thing I know it is a lie when I hear it.”
“Continuing to support Senator Cruz after he repeats incorrectly and ad nauseum that; ‘A vote for Donald Trump is a vote for Obamacare’; and, that ‘if you vote Donald Trump, you vote for Bernie Sanders-style socialized medicine;“
“… or even worse that Trump, Clinton and Sanders ‘have the identical position on health care’ has forced me into a crisis of conscience.”
“These are statements that even the left leaning Politifact has correctly identified as FALSE.”
Tucker says the Cruz followers, whom he calls “Cruzers” either don’t know, or don’t care that Cruz plays fast and loose with the facts.
“There are two things I detest above all others. Lies and intellectual laziness.”
“There are far too many of my fellow “Cruzers” who … refuse to do the necessary research on Mr. Trump’s health care proposals.”
In his blog post, Tucker provides links to Trump’s actual policy proposals as outlined in both his books “Time To Get Tough” from 2011 and his latest book “Crippled America” from 2015.
The link to Tucker’s blog post, will be posted in the Description box below.
http://linkis.com/wordpress.com/g8dTg

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 05:21:52 am »
Cruz Delegate Quits Cruz in Disgust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMvuuywiQcw

Published on Feb 16, 2016

Link to Tucker's blog: http://linkis.com/wordpress.com/g8dTg

C. Steven Tucker, a nationally-recognized healthcare policy expert and a delegate to the Republican convention for Ted Cruz, has come out publicly that he is abandoning Cruz because of his inability to tell the truth.
“I have bit my tongue long enough. As a delegate for Senator Ted Cruz I have been placed into a difficult and increasingly uncomfortable position and now I have had enough.”
“Donald Trump does NOT want Single Payer health care.”
Tucker, a 20-year licensed health insurance broker from Illinois has appeared on television and radio as a health care policy expert.
“If there is one thing I know it is health care policy and if there is another thing I know it is a lie when I hear it.”
“Continuing to support Senator Cruz after he repeats incorrectly and ad nauseum that; ‘A vote for Donald Trump is a vote for Obamacare’; and, that ‘if you vote Donald Trump, you vote for Bernie Sanders-style socialized medicine;“
“… or even worse that Trump, Clinton and Sanders ‘have the identical position on health care’ has forced me into a crisis of conscience.”
“These are statements that even the left leaning Politifact has correctly identified as FALSE.”
Tucker says the Cruz followers, whom he calls “Cruzers” either don’t know, or don’t care that Cruz plays fast and loose with the facts.
“There are two things I detest above all others. Lies and intellectual laziness.”
“There are far too many of my fellow “Cruzers” who … refuse to do the necessary research on Mr. Trump’s health care proposals.”
In his blog post, Tucker provides links to Trump’s actual policy proposals as outlined in both his books “Time To Get Tough” from 2011 and his latest book “Crippled America” from 2015.
The link to Tucker’s blog post, will be posted in the Description box below.
http://linkis.com/wordpress.com/g8dTg

Interesting. So either I am to believe that Trump is for socialized medicine because he said so in his own words or I am to believe Tucker and just dismiss what Trump said in his own words because he is basically a moron who can't verbalize concepts and ideas. I also need to disregard the fact that Trump heavily supported with cold hard cash all the folks who rammed Obamacare through not only before it passed but after it as well. This is certainly confusing....

So maybe he came to regret it after Reid and Pelosi rammed through Obamacare? Apparently not. In 2010 — immediately after the passage of Obamacare — Trump continued to donate to Reid. Trump has donated at least $10,400 to Reid, including $4,800 for his 2010 race against Sharron Angle — a victory that helped keep the Senate in Democratic hands and Reid as majority leader. So Trump continued to support Reid as majority leader in the election immediately after the passage of Obamacare.

In his home state of New York, Trump also donated disproportionately to Democrats. The Post reported in 2011 that “The biggest recipient of all has been the Democratic Senate Campaign Committee of New York, which has taken in more than $125,000 from Trump and his companies. Overall, Trump has given nearly $600,000 to New York state campaigns, with more than two-thirds going to Democrats.” He even boasted of it. “So, what am I going to do, contribute to Republicans?” he told Fox News’S Sean Hannity. “I mean, one thing I’m not stupid. Am I going to contribute to a Republican for my whole life when they get, they run against some Democrat. And the most they can get is one percent of the vote?”

Trump also gave $50,000 to another Obamacare architect, Rahm Emanuel — the former Obama White House chief of staff — for his campaign to become mayor of Chicago. He gave $5,500 to John Kerry and $7,000 to the late liberal icon of the Senate, Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.). Other Democrats who have benefited from Trump’s largesse include Sen. Charles Schumer (N.Y.), Sen. Frank Lautenberg (N.J.), Rep. Charlie Rangel (N.Y.) and Sen. Hillary Clinton (N.Y.). A major issue in the 2016 election will be allegations of corruption surrounding donations to the Clinton Foundation. But it will also be hard for Trump to make an issue of that since he gave at least $100,000 to the Clinton Foundation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-donald-trump-helped-democrats-pass-obamacare/2015/06/22/002f4c7c-18ea-11e5-ab92-c75ae6ab94b5_story.html

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 02:46:44 pm »

That little "natural born citizen" thing wasn't enough for you?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:08:22 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 02:52:13 pm »
That little "natural born citizen" thing was enough for you?

Or, how about that towering lawyer and legal expert Ted Cruz forgetting to report loans on campaign filings. Oops, I forgot...

Did Trump try to hide loans on his campaign financial filings? No.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 03:20:37 pm »
Keep repeating that lie, with your made-up definition. See where it gets you.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 05:22:15 pm »
No problem!

==================================

Who Is The Real Ted Cruz? (In other words, Ted lied)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2016, 07:08:47 pm »
Keep repeating that lie, with your made-up definition. See where it gets you.

Well, it's pretty obvious you're not one of those "constitutional conservatives".   And, GOOD for you. 

The Constitution can't tell us which conservative is eligible to be POTUS, right Fuller?     Before you say "yes", think long and hard about the 2nd amendment--because the liberals are. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 07:48:11 pm »

I have never once heard Ted Cruz say anything other than that he was a citizen at birth and that is the absolute truth. No one can deny it.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2016, 07:50:07 pm »
Or, how about that towering lawyer and legal expert Ted Cruz forgetting to report loans on campaign filings. Oops, I forgot...

Did Trump try to hide loans on his campaign financial filings? No.

You need to get the facts straight and then get back to me!  Ted Cruz never forgot to file anything!

- J. R. R. Tolkien