Author Topic: How John Kasich Plans to Win the Nomination  (Read 5502 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
How John Kasich Plans to Win the Nomination
« on: February 11, 2016, 05:17:25 pm »
https://pjmedia.com/election/2016/02/10/how-john-kasich-plans-to-win-the-nomination/

By Bridget Johnson February 10, 2016

Ohio Gov. John Kasich said he "loves being underestimated" as he moves out of New Hampshire with a second-place finish but challenges with funding and campaign infrastructure.

In a statement last night that noted Kasich showed an "inclusive conservative message" can win, the campaign hinted at his strategy moving forward: The governor is going to aggressively campaign in South Carolina starting today with the intent of winning early delegates before expecting to take Michigan on March 8. The campaign then expects him to close the deal for the nomination on his home turf of the Midwest, barreling toward the GOP convention in his home state.

Kasich had previously said his campaign would be kaput if he didn't perform well in the first-in-the-nation primary.

“Governor Kasich is now the leading governor in the race and the only one with a realistic chance at the nomination,” said senior campaign strategist John Weaver, who worked on Sen. John McCain's (R-Ariz.) 2000 and 2008 campaigns. “He showed that a conservative with a positive message will succeed and, in fact, that’s the only way for Republicans to win the White House. As the governor of Ohio he knows how to do it.”

Kasich's endorsements include Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley, former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, former Ohio Gov. George Voinovich, Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio), former New Hampshire Sen. John Sununu, former Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott, dozens of Ohio state lawmakers, Charles Barkley and Montel Williams, who tweeted last night that Kasich is the "only adult in the GOP field."

Kasich told CBS this morning that while he pans negative campaigning "if somebody pounds me, I'm not going to taking a pounding -- I'm not some sort of a pin cushion or a marshmallow."

"But look, I think people are tired of the negativity. I think the ability to talk about what you want to do -- you know, the reason that a lot of people go negative is because their positive doesn't work. So, imagine if you were running for positive office and you didn't have much positive so all you spent your time doing was talking negative. I mean, that's sort of a downer, I think it is and -- but look, I think people want to know we can solve problems," he said.

"I've been a reformer all of my lifetime. And my message is real simple: Whether you're Republican or a Democrat, at the beginning and at the end, you should be an American working together to solve problems. And that message, I think, works. If it doesn't, I can't change my message. It's just the way it goes."

Kasich noted that Jeb Bush spent some $50 million in New Hampshire -- a chunk of that on attack ads -- and gleaned a fourth-place finish. "The Bush campaign can't figure out what it is for and the candidate can't seem to know what he's for, so they spend all their time bashing somebody else," he said.

He promised a first hundred days plan in office with "so many ideas and so many things I want to change... if you don't have a seat belt on your chair, go and get one because you're not going to see anything like this."

On MSNBC, Bush dismissed Kasich's South Carolina effort: "He has nothing going on down here, best we can tell."

“He had a one-state strategy, and it was effective,” Bush said. “But he’s not as conservative as me, and his record is not nearly as good as mine.”

Politico reported late last night on a Bush campaign memo detailing the vicious attacks they plan to unleash on Kasich and Rubio in South Carolina.

Kasich told ABC that his grassroots organization is helping effectively spread his message: "We make sure we leave no one behind -- the mentally ill, the drug addicted, working poor, everybody has a right to rise in America and to restore the spirit of this country."

"It's a long race, right? We're here in South Carolina. We'll be here. We'll go through South Carolina, ultimately to the Midwest, and you know what it's like in Illinois and in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania," the governor said.

"And in the south... Mississippi, you know Trent Lott, the guy doesn't lose many. We are very strong there. Got the governor of Alabama; we're building a team in Tennessee," he added. "This is a long, long race, and you know, everybody always understatements me, but it seems to always kind of work out. So, we're just going to put one foot in front of the other."

"I absolutely do believe that I cannot only unify the party, but I also believe I can bring back that Reagan blue-collar Democrat."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: How John Kasich Plans to Win the Nomination
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 05:19:19 pm »
NO! Just no!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 05:42:31 pm »
He's the adult in the field,  the one armed with experience, credentials and pragmatism.   He's the choice whom the Dems fear most.  He's the nominee who can wage the kind of positive campaign that can carry on its coattails a GOP Senate.  And with a GOP Congress finally mated with a GOP President , then, well,  to quote the man himself - fasten your seatbelts and hold on!   Kasich will be able to effect change - conservative change - that Reagan only dreamed of. 

Anger and six bits gets you a cup of coffee.   Kasich is the electable conservative and our last, best hope to turn the tide. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 05:48:47 pm »
He's the adult in the field,  the one armed with experience, credentials and pragmatism.   He's the choice whom the Dems fear most.  He's the nominee who can wage the kind of positive campaign that can carry on its coattails a GOP Senate.  And with a GOP Congress finally mated with a GOP President , then, well,  to quote the man himself - fasten your seatbelts and hold on!   Kasich will be able to effect change - conservative change - that Reagan only dreamed of. 

Anger and six bits gets you a cup of coffee.   Kasich is the electable conservative and our last, best hope to turn the tide.

That sounds like a alot of dreams, rainbows, and twinkly stars, but I don't see the roadmap for Kasich. Considering some of the moderate to liberal statements he's made lately, I question just how much conservatism there will be if he gets elected.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 05:49:44 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 05:52:46 pm »
That sounds like a alot of dreams, rainbows, and twinkly stars, but I don't see the roadmap for Kasich. Considering some of the moderate to liberal statements he's made lately, I question just how much conservatism there will be if he gets elected.

Those with a vested interest in maintaining the status quo don't want to hear anything like actual FACTS!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 06:00:00 pm »
Those with a vested interest in maintaining the status quo don't want to hear anything like actual FACTS!

And what vested interest is that, bigun?   

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 06:08:44 pm »
And what vested interest is that, bigun?

ANY interest that places a worry that your rice bowl might get broken if anything in Washington should actually change over what's best for the country as a whole!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 06:14:21 pm »
ANY interest that places a worry that your rice bowl might get broken if anything in Washington should actually change over what's best for the country as a whole!

So this is personal, huh?   Stop showing your abject ignorance.   I PMed you about what I do for a living, and stated on the open board my preference for a flat income tax with no deductions (rather than your nutbag Fair Tax).   A flat tax would eliminate my job.   I advocate tax reform that would break my rice bowl.  Because it's the right thing to do.   When have YOU ever advocated a position in contradication to your self-interest?   
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:19:10 pm by Jazzhead »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 06:19:03 pm »
So this is personal, huh?   Your ignorance is showing.   I PMed you about what I do for a living, and stated on the open board my preference for a flat income tax with no deductions (rather than your nutbag Fair Tax).   A flat tax would eliminate my job.   I advocate tax reform that would break my rice bowl.  Because it's the right thing to do.   What have YOU ever sacrificed for the common good?   

More than anyone like you will EVER know!

And I never put any of that in the street! YOU did that just as I knew you would!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 06:21:50 pm »
More than anyone like you will EVER know!

And I never put any of that in the street! YOU did that just as I knew you would!

So you're just another anonymous, dishonorable blowhard on the internet.   

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 06:24:44 pm »
Kasich is at 2% in a South Carolina poll. His path will abruptly end if that is the result.

He is a great fellow. But he is also another geeky wonky career politician, and for those of you still not clear, that era is over or on hold.

Been there, done that. Now try something different.

By the way, listening to guest sitting in for David Webb radio, and the guy called Sanders a communist over and over.

Yet another example of "conservatives" destroying the very language they need at the ready. He is the same type that will call Kasich a democrat or a liberal, in spite of his entire career.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 06:26:27 pm »

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion no matter how uninformed it may be.

And BTW: The Fairtax is anything but Nutjob! It is, in fact the EXACT form of taxation universally endorsed by our founders who, as we all know, were definitely NOT nutjobs!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 06:32:33 pm »

Bigun has put his ass on the line for all of us.  You don't know what you are saying here.  You don't have to trust me on anything about politics here...but you should trust some of us who've been around here a little while on this one.

Fair Tax/Flat Tax.  Hell give me any of them.  But the path to changing the current system is one that is going to have to include a real revolution of some kind.  Ain't happening in my lifetime.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 06:41:02 pm »
Bigun has put his ass on the line for all of us.  You don't know what you are saying here.  You don't have to trust me on anything about politics here...but you should trust some of us who've been around here a little while on this one.

Fair Tax/Flat Tax.  Hell give me any of them.  But the path to changing the current system is one that is going to have to include a real revolution of some kind.  Ain't happening in my lifetime.

No rational person would question that, or impugn his patriotism in any way.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 06:43:33 pm »

Enough of that!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 06:53:14 pm »
Thank you all!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 07:26:28 pm »
Ahem...back to the thread. 

Kasich is a good man with tons of experience in pretty much all aspects of the government.  But as some have mentioned, right now he's out of touch with what is needed to win the election.  Soon enough this Country may well face a fiscal and economic crisis worse than the Depression.  FDR didn't accomplish a lot in terms of real changes in the economy until the war efforts began.  But he did act like a leader and the people embraced that leadership.  He projected understanding and confidence.  Kasich doesn't have that quality.  But then, neither do Bush or Rubio.  Cruz might, though he comes across as too angry (to me) to make that transformation.  Additionally I don't think he could exert the influence over Congress that will be necessary.  For me that pretty much leaves Trump, who does have that charisma.  The problem of course is he would have to turn around the negatives he's accumulated while gathering his support.  And he'll have to overcome the concerns over his lack of class, his dubious promises and his real political ideology.

Can we perhaps amalgamate Trump's leadership skills with Kasich's knowledge and experience, and Rubio's ability to bring differing sides together.  Probably not.  In the end, whoever the GOP selects, more voters may be casting ballots against someone rather than for someone.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 07:31:34 pm »
All right, people: ENOUGH.

I have been posting only sporadically in recent weeks owning to my illness and recovery (from severe bronchitis), which as the name implies, really sucks.

But during this period I have had time to think about a great number of things. And one of the conclusions that I have reached is that the combination of intensely-felt political beliefs and the anonymity of the Internet is a poisonous one.

It involves people who if they lived next door, would be friends. If they met in a bar over drinks, they would graciously buy one for the other. If they were sitting across from one another in conversation, they might disagree, even strongly, loudly - but would still in the end find a way to make sport of it, smile, and change the subject to their kids. It involves people who would never be best buddies, but in a crisis would not hesitate for an instant to help the other.

But: put any of these two putative pals together on an Internet message board, and in a moment of mere disagreement, they will be at each others' throats like two wolves fighting over the last of the sheep entrails, with their own packs behind them, egging each on.

Electronic communication is impersonal for an obvious reason: there is no human contact to inform and moderate the senses. Instead, there is only the fluttering of fingers on a keyboard and the squint of one's eyes passing over words singularly consumed without having heard the inflection or tone of the voice behind them.

The illusion of electronic intimacy can create equally illusory emotions, as these are informed not by actual observation and experience, but by expectation alone. Such artificial, ersatz emotions are as real as they are felt, but their validity suffers greatly for having been gained in a state of sensory isolation.

It is no wonder that the result of such virtual interactions where deeply-held beliefs are at stake is often not caution, but outburst. Not consideration, but casual insult.  Not moderation, but anger.

We say things to people on line that we would never say to them if we knew them or were having the same discussion on our own couch. Because if we did and we were, we would not see a stream of letters on a screen but instead... an aging and still pretty woman with green eyes and a kind mouth... a former sailor with the same tight haircut now flecked with gray, with a booming laugh and a strong handshake.... a quiet, thin young man with nervous hands and a quick wit, and yet strangely sad eyes... a well-dressed, dark-haired woman with strong opinions and a voice equal to them, but rarely without a nod and a smile.

The truth is, and you I'm right: if placed in each others' company, we'd all of us be a hell of a lot nicer even to the people with whom we agreed on nothing much at all. As we all should. Because we are all complex, unique human beings and last I checked, very damned real.     
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 07:35:44 pm »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 07:42:34 pm »
All right, people: ENOUGH.

I have been posting only sporadically in recent weeks owning to my illness and recovery (from severe bronchitis), which as the name implies, really sucks.

But during this period I have had time to think about a great number of things. And one of the conclusions that I have reached is that the combination of intensely-felt political beliefs and the anonymity of the Internet is a poisonous one.

It involves people who if they lived next door, would be friends. If they met in a bar over drinks, they would graciously buy one for the other. If they were sitting across from one another in conversation, they might disagree, even strongly, loudly - but would still in the end find a way to make sport of it, smile, and change the subject to their kids. It involves people who would never be best buddies, but in a crisis would not hesitate for an instant to help the other.

But: put any of these two putative pals together on an Internet message board, and in a moment of mere disagreement, they will be at each others' throats like two wolves fighting over the last of the sheep entrails, with their own packs behind them, egging each on.

Electronic communication is impersonal for an obvious reason: there is no human contact to inform and moderate the senses. Instead, there is only the fluttering of fingers on a keyboard and the squint of one's eyes passing over words singularly consumed without having heard the inflection or tone of the voice behind them.

The illusion of electronic intimacy can create equally illusory emotions, as these are informed not by actual observation and experience, but by expectation alone. Such artificial, ersatz emotions are as real as they are felt, but their validity suffers greatly for having been gained in a state of sensory isolation.

It is no wonder that the result of such virtual interactions where deeply-held beliefs are at stake is often not caution, but outburst. Not consideration, but casual insult.  Not moderation, but anger.

We say things to people on line that we would never say to them if we knew them or were having the same discussion on our own couch. Because if we did and we were, we would not see a stream of letters on a screen but instead... an aging and still pretty woman with green eyes and a kind mouth... a former sailor with the same tight haircut now flecked with gray, with a booming laugh and a strong handshake.... a quiet, thin young man with nervous hands and a quick wit, and yet strangely sad eyes... a well-dressed, dark-haired woman with strong opinions and a voice equal to them, but rarely without a nod and a smile.

The truth is, and you I'm right: if placed in each others' company, we'd all of us be a hell of a lot nicer even to the people with whom we agreed on nothing much at all. As we all should. Because we are all complex, unique human beings and last I checked, very damned real.     

Bite me.

:tongue2:
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 07:53:33 pm »
So much for back to the thread... :shrug:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 07:58:01 pm »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline flowers

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 08:05:05 pm »
So much for back to the thread... :shrug:
yep!

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 08:25:54 pm »
yep!

All right, I get the message. Just proves my point.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 08:32:04 pm »

Jazzhead, you can be so right sometimes.  Then you go and post stuff like this.  We don't want another squishy, kowtow to the Dems, big government guy in the White House!  And, that is exactly who Kasich is.