Author Topic: Clinton Camp Says One-Fifth of Delegates Secured for Nomination  (Read 700 times)

Offline flowers

Clinton Camp Says One-Fifth of Delegates Secured for Nomination
« on: February 10, 2016, 06:45:47 pm »
article date.....8/8/15

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-08-28/clinton-camp-saying-it-already-secured-one-fifth-the-delegates-needed-for-nomination

As Hillary Clinton's campaign seeks to project dominance in a field that could soon include Vice President Joe Biden, her top advisers are touting a decisive edge on a little-discussed metric: superdelegate commitments.

At the Democratic National Committee meeting in Minneapolis, where Clinton spoke on Friday, senior Clinton campaign officials are claiming that she has already secured one-fifth of the pledges needed to win the Democratic presidential nomination. They come from current and former elected officials, committee officeholders, and other party dignitaries.

The campaign says that Clinton currently has about 130 superdelegates publicly backing her, but a person familiar with recent conversations in Minneapolis said that officials are telling supporters and the undecided in the last few days that private commitments increase that number to more than 440—about 20 percent of the number of delegates she would need to secure the nomination.

“This is really about how you put the numbers together.”
Hillary Clinton

After her speech, Clinton told reporters that her campaign's attention to delegate totals is about ensuring that her support from voters translates into the nomination. “This is really about how you put the numbers together to secure the nomination. As some of you might recall, in 2008 I got a lot of votes but I didn’t get enough delegates. And so I think it’s understandable that my focus is going to be on delegates as well as votes this time,” she said.

Offline PzLdr

Re: Clinton Camp Says One-Fifth of Delegates Secured for Nomination
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 09:51:51 pm »
Not bad for a coin toss and a crushing defeat.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 10:10:29 pm »
Superdelegates: because the voters don't really get a choice.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 10:13:12 pm »
Superdelegates: because the voters don't really get a choice.

The game is rigged!  Seems like I heard that somewhere recently!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien