Author Topic: Super Bowl 50 >> Live Thread  (Read 11817 times)

Offline Lando Lincoln

Re: Super Bowl 50 >> Live Thread
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2016, 12:51:51 pm »

Vince Lombardi... As a human being, flawed by definition.  But what a rare, inspirational leader.  Are there any today?  Or, do we destroy them first?
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2016, 01:06:26 pm »
Does this surprise anyone?

I knew that Newton was in deep trouble when he was asked if he was doing anything different for the Super Bowl, and he called it "just another game".

It isn't.

It's the World Championship and winners bring their A game.

He brought the same game and he lost. It was as if he was saying that he was bigger than the Super Bowl.

As an aside...

I was watching the pre-game hype on TV, cooking up some wings and just waiting for the game to begin, when something caught my eye.

There were two quick shots of the starting quarterbacks. The difference between the two men was startling.

Cam Newton was laughing with his teammates, full of life, youth and confidence, as well that he should be. He is a very talented young man.

Then they cut to Peyton.

He had his back to the camera. There was someone standing by him, but they weren't talking. Manning was sitting, facing his locker, with his head bowed down in prayer.

I'm not a very religious guy, but I was deeply touched.

Everyone had this one pegged wrong. They all thought that this was an impossible task for Manning and the Broncos to accomplish. The old man leading his team to victory against youth and strength. The past beating the future.

But it seems that Manning knew exactly what it is that makes all things impossible, possible.

I couldn't be more thrilled about this Super Bowl win if it had been my beloved Cowboys walking away with that trophy.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2016, 01:13:07 pm »
I knew that Newton was in deep trouble when he was asked if he was doing anything different for the Super Bowl, and he called it "just another game".

It isn't.

He brought the same game and he lost. It was as if he was saying that he was bigger than the Super Bowl.

As an aside...

I was watching the pre-game hype on TV, cooking up some wings and just waiting for the game to begin, when something caught my eye.

There were two quick shots of the starting quarterbacks. The difference between the two men was startling.

Cam Newton was laughing with his teammates, full of life, youth and confidence, as well that he should be. He is a very talented young man.

Then they cut to Peyton.

He had his back to the camera. There was someone standing by him, but they weren't talking. Manning was sitting, facing his locker, with his head bowed down in prayer.

Everyone had this one pegged wrong. They all thought that this was an impossible task for Manning and the Broncos to accomplish. The old man leading his team to victory against youth and strength. The past beating the future.

But it seems that Manning knew exactly what it is that makes all things impossible, possible.

I couldn't be more thrilled about this Super Bowl win if it had been my beloved Cowboys walking away with that trophy.

I swear Luis... I had just copied your comment to post it here (fully credited, of course). 

Bravo.
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2016, 01:14:27 pm »
I swear Luis... I had just copied your comment to post it here (fully credited, of course). 

Bravo.

:beer:
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2016, 01:54:28 pm »

It isn't.

As an aside...

Then they cut to Peyton.

Cowboys?  I was with you till then....  :tongue2:

Wingnut

« Reply #155 on: February 08, 2016, 02:03:47 pm »
It is said the true measure of a man is not how he acts when his ship comes in, or in victory when he's got the other team beat.
But the man who is worthwhile, Is the man who can smile,  When his Under Armour compression shorts are too tight in the seat.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #156 on: February 08, 2016, 02:35:21 pm »

Are you kidding me? Manning didn't do jack squat. He could barely get his team into field goal range. On the whole, he was no better than Newton. Tim Tebow could've won that game.

This was, as I said all along, a defensive battle, and the Broncos built a powerhouse. Luke Kuechly did his part for Carolina but he was basically left to hold that team together on his own. The Broncos simply outmatched Carolina, both on defense and on special teams. The offenses were both ineffective.

Plus, as anyone knows, you have to cheat a little to win a title in this league, whether it's deflating footballs or calling for bounties—and for Denver, the cheater was Aqib Talib.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #157 on: February 08, 2016, 02:37:11 pm »
On December 31, 1967, I was a soon-to-be 14-year old boy growing up in small town Wisconsin. That was the date of the famous Ice Bowl played at Lambeau Field between the Dallas Cowboys and Green Bay Packers. The Packers were the center of my sports universe. No one quite understood the magnificent sports greatness on the field that day and certainly no one could anticipate the incredibile drama as the game unfolded. For a sporting event, it was truly a great human struggle.

After the game, I remember a few interviews in the losers' locker room. Tom Landry.  Dan Reeves. And, Don Meredith. I understood the great physical pain but I was struck by the emotional pain. Especially Don Meredith. And through his "dad gums", I learned something about... humility. He knew something great had just happened. It struck that teen-aged boy.

I hope Cam Newton is wishing for a post game do-over.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 02:50:53 pm by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Wingnut

« Reply #158 on: February 08, 2016, 02:39:54 pm »

I hope Cam Newton is wishing for a post game do-over.

Sadly, I don't think it even crossed his self-absorbed mind.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #159 on: February 08, 2016, 03:11:42 pm »
Are you kidding me? Manning didn't do jack squat. He could barely get his team into field goal range. On the whole, he was no better than Newton. Tim Tebow could've won that game.

This was, as I said all along, a defensive battle, and the Broncos built a powerhouse. Luke Kuechly did his part for Carolina but he was basically left to hold that team together on his own. The Broncos simply outmatched Carolina, both on defense and on special teams. The offenses were both ineffective.

Plus, as anyone knows, you have to cheat a little to win a title in this league, whether it's deflating footballs or calling for bounties—and for Denver, the cheater was Aqib Talib.

I think you're forgetting the aspect of moral/emotional leadership, jmyrle.  These guys are professional, but attitude goes a long way in this kind of victory, and I believe Manning provided the leadership that made the difference in these two relatively equal teams.

I think his professionalism and calm made the difference.  And I think part of the team's can do spirit, in spite of the fact that they were underdogs, was due to wanting to help the old guy win his second Super Bowl ring.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2016, 03:16:12 pm »

I tend to agree. There wasn't a whole lot of offense anywhere last night.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2016, 03:18:08 pm »
Scott Kelly had the ultimate nosebleed seat.

"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #162 on: February 08, 2016, 03:27:34 pm »

It's maturity Jimmy, that's what you're missing.

Newton thought he had this in the bag. It was as if he didn't actually need the team to win the game.

From his gold MVP shoes to his dance, Newton was all about Newton.

Manning knew that his job was to NOT blow this game by trying to be what he no longer is... a young man with a rifle arm and lighting reflexes, so he became a manager and a rallying point, and he knew to trust what got him to the dance... the Broncos defense.

Manning was a leader when his team needed a leader. Newton wasn't.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #163 on: February 08, 2016, 03:28:34 pm »
I think you're forgetting the aspect of moral/emotional leadership, jmyrle.  These guys are professional, but attitude goes a long way in this kind of victory, and I believe Manning provided the leadership that made the difference in these two relatively equal teams.

I think his professionalism and calm made the difference.  And I think part of the team's can do spirit, in spite of the fact that they were underdogs, was due to wanting to help the old guy win his second Super Bowl ring.

:beer:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #164 on: February 08, 2016, 03:30:24 pm »

Your post is the rough equivalent of Cam Newton's post game interview.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #165 on: February 08, 2016, 03:33:43 pm »
Fans will remember many things from this super bowl.  Players and coaches will remember one thing only! 

Cam Newton's deciding not to go in there after that fumble! If he plays for 20 more years he will never live that down.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #166 on: February 08, 2016, 03:39:43 pm »
Fans will remember many things from this super bowl.  Players and coaches will remember one thing only! 

Cam Newton's deciding not to go in there after that fumble! If he plays for 20 more years he will never live that down.

Yeah that one will go into the highlight reels of great blunders in football history. WTH was he thinking?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #167 on: February 08, 2016, 03:44:57 pm »

Wingnut

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #169 on: February 08, 2016, 05:27:14 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #170 on: February 08, 2016, 05:34:16 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2016, 05:42:30 pm »
A beautiful rendition....

That was amazing. Girlfriend can belt it out.
The Republic is lost.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2016, 07:25:33 pm »
Impossible for this old man to watch and keep a dry eye. 

Offline flowers

« Reply #173 on: February 08, 2016, 07:38:03 pm »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #174 on: February 08, 2016, 07:54:02 pm »

Come on, Cam!   GET UP!!  Ya crybaby!    :laugh: