Author Topic: Super Bowl 50 >> Live Thread  (Read 11829 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Super Bowl 50 >> Live Thread
« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2016, 03:07:12 am »
3 min left
not much time for 12
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2016, 03:07:31 am »
So much for the dab dance.

And Carolina kills itself with a holding call.  Denver scores the winning touchdown.

Yep!  WTG, Peyton!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Wingnut

« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2016, 03:08:23 am »
24-10

Nice.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2016, 03:10:13 am »
Are the constipation ads a bow to an aging population?

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2016, 03:10:25 am »
Now you're talkin.

Fade in:  A guy driving an Audi.   Queen  "under pressure" playing in the background.  Quick Cut to an Apollo Moon launch rocket shot.   Voice over:  Rocket under the stars and not in your shorts with Dulcolax

For the kids who don't know. One of my top 20 songs..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtrEN-YKLBM

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2016, 03:11:13 am »
this is getting silly now
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #131 on: February 08, 2016, 03:11:26 am »
Denver's defense is putting the icing on the cake.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2016, 03:14:45 am »
My MVP CJ Anderson. Denver beats the spread. Temp 76 F at game time.

Newton sacked, 4th and 24 from the 5 yd. line. The Fat Lady is singing, at 2 minutes.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2016, 03:15:33 am »
Carolina just got outplayed.... WTG Denver

Wingnut

« Reply #134 on: February 08, 2016, 03:15:41 am »
Cam lost it .....  Mm ba ba de Um bum ba de
Um bu bu bum da de....  under pressure

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2016, 03:18:26 am »
'Don't waste water'. I knew there had to be an ecoloon commercial in there somewhere.
The Republic is lost.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2016, 03:19:25 am »
Peyton Manning is going out a CHAMPION.  Congratulations to you, sir!

Wingnut

« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2016, 03:19:47 am »

Wingnut

« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2016, 03:20:34 am »
'Don't waste water'. I knew there had to be an ecoloon commercial in there somewhere.

Shower with a friend?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2016, 03:21:05 am »

Donate to a clean water fund and drink to your heart's delight.   :smokin:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2016, 03:23:36 am »
Question....without looking...
What truck was being advertised?

:)
Honda, and I'd take a look at one after that ad. I didn't realize they still made trucks. ^-^
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2016, 03:24:50 am »
Manning can go out on top, DeMarcus Ware gets a Super Bowl ring, and Wade Phillips gets one too. Very happy for all of them.

Cam can come back. He's got lots of years ahead of him.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline ABX

« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2016, 03:25:04 am »
The guys in the Bronco got away with it. #EnoughWithTheOJJokes.

Wingnut

« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2016, 03:26:16 am »
Manning can go out on top, DeMarcus Ware gets a Super Bowl ring, and Wade Phillips gets one too. Very happy for all of them.

Cam can come back. He's got lots of years ahead of him.

Amen.

Offline ABX

« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2016, 03:26:22 am »
Shower with a friend?

that always bugged me. where do they think the water goes when it runs down the drain? Recycling.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2016, 03:35:12 am »
Congratulations to the Houston Texans with a quarterback!

Now known as the Denver Broncos!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #146 on: February 08, 2016, 03:46:41 am »
that always bugged me. where do they think the water goes when it runs down the drain? Recycling.
And besides, who leaves the faucet running while they brush their teeth anyway? Unless they're waiting for the water to get hot to wash their face and hands.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2016, 04:09:59 am »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2016, 04:14:18 am »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online mountaineer

« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2016, 11:43:10 am »
Does this surprise anyone?
Cam Newton goes from Superman to Incredible Sulk in poor postgame showing
 By Eric Adelson
4 hours ago
Yahoo Sports
    

SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Cam Newton's teammate, center Ryan Kalil, had just finished telling reporters, "We didn't keep our composure" when the quarterback slouched in to the media area.

There was no poofball hat, no Louboutin loafers, no dabbing, no megawatt grin. Just a hoodie pulled high and a chin slung low. He was still in his sod-besotted game pants.

The regular-season MVP sat down, sighed, looked down, and then mumbled a few short answers to unassuming questions. A microphone was adjusted, pulled closer to his face, but Newton sat back in his chair. He peered out from under his hoodie as he spoke, his shoulders slumped and his words barely audible. Superman had morphed into the Incredible Sulk.

He was asked whether head coach Ron Rivera said anything in the locker room.

"He said a lot of things," Newton droned.

He was asked if Denver did anything special to take away his running lanes.

"Nothing different."

He was asked if he could put his disappointment into words.

"We lost."

Finally he was asked about how difficult this defeat was for his team.

He stood up and left.

It was Newton's version of "The Decision," an image self-sabotage that hurt him and the league. It was more unsightly than his performance on the field, worse than the split-second when he failed to jump onto a loose ball he had fumbled in the fourth quarter of a 24-10 loss to Denver.

Newton was supposed to be big enough for any moment. Instead, on Super Bowl Sunday, he was steamrolled by a moment he created.

He has never taken losing well, and he's not alone in that. He sulked at his locker after losses as a rookie, and he sulked at his locker in December after his team's lone regular-season defeat in Atlanta. That doesn't undo all the good – the winning, the handing footballs to kids, the excitement he has stirred around the world. But in a postseason when Blair Walsh can take every postgame question about his on-field failure with aplomb, the newest football supernova can and should do better. He gave some credit to the Broncos – "They just played better than us" was the first thing he said – but Newton has always wanted attention and that means dealing with attention during more than the happy times. Leadership is not a sometimes thing or even a most-of-the-time thing.

There's plenty of blame to go around for this loss. The offensive line didn't block, the receivers didn't catch, the running game never picked up speed. Most of all, the Panthers faced an incredible defense. But Newton sets the tone for this team and he didn't set it when it mattered most. He was overexcited from before the game – even many of his pregame practice throws were high – and he didn't settle down. Rookie wide receiver Devin Funchess said it best: "Things were going crazy, haywire. You have to have controlled energy, and it wasn't controlled out there."

Unfair or not, a lot of this is on Newton. He calmed the waters all season, all throughout the playoffs, but didn't in the Super Bowl. He certainly didn't do it after the game, even if he did make sure to congratulate Peyton Manning on the field.

The Panthers' locker room was silent after Newton returned from the media area. Many of the offensive players lined up against the wall, standing next to each other, saying little as they waited to walk to the bus. Tight end Greg Olsen stood next to offensive coordinator Mike Shula, and the two of them spoke somewhat animatedly. At one point Shula turned his palms skyward and shrugged.

There was no answer to Denver, not for Shula or Olsen or Kalil.

"We were just off on some things," Shula had said. Asked why, he said, "I'm not sure."

The Panthers knew Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware were coming. Shula said there was nothing on the field that they didn't see on tape. Of course, a championship defense that stifled the New England Patriots is going to present problems, but the best players figure it out. Newton didn't.

That doesn't mean he never will. He is 26 and already an MVP who was playing in the Super Bowl. This is the beginning, not the end. Counting Newton out now is like counting LeBron James out after his first NBA Finals loss to Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs. But wearing an S on your chest during pregame means you expect to do superhuman things, and the label didn't fit during the game or afterward.

The hatred will pour in now, and it filled up social media even before Newton changed out of his uniform. All the labels Newton warded off – "selfish," "arrogant," "petulant" – will come rushing back at him like Miller and Ware did. A lot of the gleeful backlash will say more about the accusers than it will about Newton, but more of it will come and more of it will stick.

He doesn't care what the outside world says, but it may be time for him to care a little bit more. He's more than the star quarterback of an upstart team now; he'll be on prime-time TV a lot next season. He will be pressured on and off the field to a new extent, and everyone will be looking to see if the sulk returns. That "everyone" might include some coaches and teammates.

Newton walked out into the night on Sunday with his headphones on. He stared straight ahead. All of his teammates had boarded the buses and waited on him and Josh Norman before leaving. One fan yelled for him, but he didn't hear and didn't respond. He boarded the bus and said nothing to anyone. He sat down in the front row and looked down at his phone.

He made so much noise all season, and in the end there was just silence.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org