Author Topic: Quinnipiac: Rubio Strongest GOP Candidate, Would Defeat Hillary  (Read 5615 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=712857

Newsmax
Quinnipiac: Rubio Strongest GOP Candidate, Would Defeat Hillary
Friday, February 5, 2016 08:17 AM

Donald Trump remains the front-runner among the GOP presidential pack nationwide, but Sens. Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio have risen to take second and third place, respectively, a new Quinnipiac Poll shows.

But the poll offers are unique look at how much people like these candidates and would be willing to vote for them in hypothetical general election matchups.

Among Republicans, Marco Rubio is the strongest, most-liked candidate just days after he took third place in the Iowa Caucuses and days ahead of the New Hampshire primary. For Democrats, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders is the most liked in head-to-head  matchups in a general election against Republicans.

"While Trump, Clinton and Cruz wallow in a negative favorability swamp, by comparison, Rubio and Sanders are rock stars," said Tim Malloy, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Poll.

The GOP rankings:

Trump, 31 percent,
    Sen. Ted Cruz,  22 percent;
    Sen. Marco Rubio, 19 percent;
    Ben Carson,  6 percent;
    Jeb Bush, 3 percent;
    Chris Christie, 3 percent;
    John Kasich, 3 percent
    Carly Fiorina, 2 percent

About 9 percent of likely GOP voters are undecided.

The results mirror those of other polls taken over the past few days. Nationwide, Trump's lead is shrinking.  A PPP poll showed Rubio and Cruz tied for second place against Trump, who leads nationally. Rubio also rises to second place in some recent New Hamsphire polls.

In the Democratic race nationwide, Clinton has 44 percent, with Sanders at 42 percent, and 11 percent undecided.

According to the survey's pollsters, on the Republican side, Rubio is the strongest candidate to go up against Hillary Clinton, defeating her 48 to 41 percent.

In other general election matchups:

Clinton tops Trump 46 – 41 percent;
    Clinton ties Cruz 45 – 45 percent

Republican voters don't like Trump, and do like Rubio by a wider margin. Some 30 percent say they "would definitely not support" Trump, while 15 percent say they would not support Cruz and 7 percent say no to Rubio.

Sanders has the highest favorability rating among top candidates, while Trump has the lowest.

"Democrats nationwide are 'Feeling the Bern' as Sen. Bernie Sanders closes a 31-point gap to tie Secretary Hillary Clinton," said Tim Malloy, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Poll. "And despite the Iowa setback, Donald Trump is way ahead of his GOP opponents. But that's not the whole story nine months before Election Day. In mano a mano, or mano a womano, face-offs with all contenders, Sanders and Rubio would be the candidates left standing,"

Among Democrats, Sanders has a greater likeability than Hillary Clinton. In the general election:

Sanders defeats Trump 49 – 39 percent;
    Sanders edges Cruz 46 – 42 percent;
    Sanders and Rubio are tied 43 – 43 percent.

The survey was conducted Feb. 2-4 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.9 percentage points.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Quinnipiac: Rubio Strongest GOP Candidate, Would Defeat Hillary
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 02:24:14 am »
100% USDA choice Bovine fecal matter IMHO!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 02:24:39 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 02:55:50 am »
It is interesting that polls show Trump leading with conservatives, moderate, and liberal Republicans and even grabbing a chunk of independent rat voters yet he can't outpoll Hitlery or Sanders.  Something doesn't add up.

HonestJohn

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 03:06:50 am »
All the polls I've seen have been targeting either registered Republicans or those likely to vote in a Republican primary.

Unfortunately, I've also seen far too many news sites who then claim these polls are the general voting public.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 04:15:26 am »
It is interesting that polls show Trump leading with conservatives, moderate, and liberal Republicans and even grabbing a chunk of independent rat voters yet he can't outpoll Hitlery or Sanders.  Something doesn't add up.

He's the top-ranked GOP candidate with a positive, uplifting message and without a messianic complex.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 04:37:21 am »
He's the top-ranked GOP candidate with a positive, uplifting message and without a messianic complex.

I'm presuming you posted that tongue-in-cheek.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 04:39:52 am »
I'm presuming you posted that tongue-in-cheek.

Not in the least bit.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 04:49:13 am »

Vote for him if you like.  I won't be joining you. I don't like duplicitous jerks.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 04:57:17 am »
Vote for him if you like.  I won't be joining you. I don't like duplicitous jerks.

What?

I need your f#$*ng permission to vote for somebody?

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 05:37:23 am »
He wasn't giving permission.  He was being polite.  Apparently that fell on deaf ears.
I think Luis was channeling his inner Trump.  Perhaps he should have whispered "f&^%".  I guarantee you neither Bigun or Luis will vote for Trump in the primaries.

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 05:44:31 am »
Have you watched the debates.  Rubio is #1 smear man.  He is neither uplifting nor positive.  He is anti-republic in that he promises one thing during campaigns and then right away does the opposite.  (Gang of eight.)  He then has the gall to flip-flop again while falsely accusing others of being like him.  I went from neutral on Rubio to strongly anti-Rubio because of Rubio's lowlife, dishonest smears against Cruz (who I did not even support until recently).  I took my time choosing.  Rubio is once against saying one thing and doing another.  He has been king smear man during the debates and now wants to remake himself into a uniter.  Well I know because I watched him.  He is not to be trusted.
Sorry you don't like Rubio.  Rubio has apologized for the immigration reform bill and what is done is done.  I have watched Rubio closely and his campaign and I find your characterizations at odds with my own observations.  I can't wait to vote for him.

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 07:12:19 am »
I have watched him, too.  My characterization is more of a description.  If I had the video feed I could piece together the whole thing from his own mouth.  He is not a uniter.  He is mean and dishonest.

As for the apology, that does not give the voters back their vote.  Plus, I do not think he did apologize.  He made excuses.   Many Floridians are very mad that he campaigned one way and almost immediately did the opposite.  How anti-republic of him.  Whatever he thinks about immigration, he owes it to voters to be honest and to follow through with his campaign promises.  He is not to be trusted.

Like I said before, I started last summer with no opinion of him one way or the other except remembering positive things people said when he was campaigning for the U.S. Senate.  I was out of touch during the Gang of Eight thing, so I was not paying attention during his big famous betrayal of those who voted for him while teaming up with Chuck Schumer.

I don't want to get on the wrong side of you Sir, or Mam.  You don't like Trump, You don't like Rubio, you like Cruz.  We agree on 66%.  I could back Cruz but I prefer Rubio. 

The fact is Cruz has altered his stance on immigration too.  Cruz was for expanding legal immigration until a few months ago, and Trump has done a complete 180 degree turn on his stance on immigration.

For me immigration is a lesser issue to taxes, military, abortion, guns, and government spending.

I have not found Rubio to be a mean guy, or Cruz...but Trump is a mean SOB.  Anybody who says anything negative about him gets a tweet that they are dumb, 3rd rate, major losers, with zero credibility.

Even people like George Will, and Thomas Sowell.

So again, we agree on Cruz and Trump.  Sorry you don't like Rubio, but Cruz is my #2 guy.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 07:46:25 am »
He wasn't giving permission.  He was being polite.  Apparently that fell on deaf ears.

I'm not polite.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 07:47:58 am »
I think Luis was channeling his inner Trump.  Perhaps he should have whispered "f&^%".  I guarantee you neither Bigun or Luis will vote for Trump in the primaries.

I can also guarantee you that I will not vote for Trump in the General Election either.

I can say the same for Cruz.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 08:18:16 am »
I have watched him, too.  My characterization is more of a description.  If I had the video feed I could piece together the whole thing from his own mouth.  He is not a uniter.  He is mean and dishonest.

As for the apology, that does not give the voters back their vote.  Plus, I do not think he did apologize.  He made excuses.   Many Floridians are very mad that he campaigned one way and almost immediately did the opposite.  How anti-republic of him.  Whatever he thinks about immigration, he owes it to voters to be honest and to follow through with his campaign promises.  He is not to be trusted.

Like I said before, I started last summer with no opinion of him one way or the other except remembering positive things people said when he was campaigning for the U.S. Senate.  I was out of touch during the Gang of Eight thing, so I was not paying attention during his big famous betrayal of those who voted for him while teaming up with Chuck Schumer.

Voltaire once said that "better was the enemy of good". The American version is "perfect is the enemy of good".

Any politician with any kind of a record in office is subject to being attacked by someone for that record, and anyone seeking office who lacks any significant level of a political record because they've either not been in office very long, or have never held office at all, will appear to be perfect in the eyes of the people when compared to someone with a record.

Trump has no political experience or record. To argue that Trump will be a good President because he's a successful and vainglorious business and entertainment figure who speaks his mid about issues, is to arge that Kanye West could also be a good President. Cruz has very little government experience to speak of. He's managed to sponsor and pass one bill during his entire tenure in the Senate. For all his disdain of the GOP establishment, Cruz has voted along Party line 82.3% of the time he's been in office. He's risen to fame by constantly pointing out the failures of his colleagues while simultaneously voting along Party lines a solid majority of the time he's cast a vote.

Cruz and Trump both have created, in the minds of their supporters, the illusion of being individuals who will somehow and single-handed, overcome all the inefficiencies they've been talking about in their stump speeches, if elected.

They're both running on a strong-man Presidency platform (an Obama-like Presidency) where they will dictate to Congress and the Courts what will be done.

They will both fail.

The system will not fall to their knees in awe of them and simply do their bidding. They will push back hard. As hard as both candidates pushed against "the system".

Back to Cruz, Rubio and illegals.

Cruz supported legalization. Said so in the floor of the Senate on May 21, 2013 while defending his Amendment to the infamous Gang of Eight bill:

"They would still be eligible for legal status and indeed, under the terms of the bill, they would be eligible for LPR [Lawful Permanent Resident] status as well so that they are out of the shadows, which the proponents of this bill repeatedly point to as their principal objective, to provide a legal status for those who are here illegally to be out of the shadows. This amendment would allow that to happen, but what it would do is remove the pathway to citizenship so that there are real consequences that respect the rule of law and that treat legal immigrants with the fairness and respect they deserve."

"Now I would suggest to all of those who passionately want to see this program fixed, that saying it’s all-or-nothing if there’s no path to citizenship, quote, there is no reform, tying immigration reform hostage to a path to citizenship is not a strategy to pass a bill. It’s a strategy to create partisan division. It’s a strategy that may well result in more political battles. But it’s not a strategy to fix the problem and so I would urge everyone on this committee to roll up our sleeves and fix the problem in a humane way that secures the border, gets serious about fixing that problem, that expands and improves legal immigration and that does not unfairly treat legal immigrants by removing a path to citizenship but allowing as this legislation does a legal status for those who are here illegally. That would be reform that a great many people across this country, both Republican and Democrat, would embrace and I would urge the committee to consider the amendment."

In an exchange with Rubio on the December GOP debate, Cruz said: “I have never supported legalization, and I do not intend to support legalization.”

So then Cruz either lied on the Senate floor, or on the debate stage.

Duplicitous indeed.

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 08:24:48 am »
Well stated. My support for Rubio is actually based in part on his stance on immigration reform. He still has not backed down from wanting to find a humane solution to the illegals who have been a while and are not violent criminals. To take that stand in the GOP primaries with the prevailing mood of conservative voters I find to be evidence of a strong character, willing to do what he thinks is right no matter the political consequences.
I agree that is an unpopular stance requiring courage

Cruz, Rubio, and Trump have all intensified their opposition to illegal immigration, and they are all full of crap...but that is what they have to do to fool Republican voters.
There will never be a solution to illegal immigration as long as the guy fixing your car, making your cheeseburger, vacuuming your office, and paying for your SS, unemployment, and disability are all illegals or sons of illegals.

I almost wish the xenophobes who hate illegals got their wish, because they would likely be the first "non-productive" Americans euthanized.

Oh no.  Was that outloud?

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 08:30:53 am »
Voltaire once said that "better was the enemy of good". The American version is "perfect is the enemy of good".

Any politician with any kind of a record in office is subject to being attacked by someone for that record, and anyone seeking office who lacks any significant level of a political record because they've either not been in office very long, or have never held office at all, will appear to be perfect in the eyes of the people when compared to someone with a record.

Trump has no political experience or record. To argue that Trump will be a good President because he's a successful and vainglorious business and entertainment figure who speaks his mid about issues, is to arge that Kanye West could also be a good President. Cruz has very little government experience to speak of. He's managed to sponsor and pass one bill during his entire tenure in the Senate. For all his disdain of the GOP establishment, Cruz has voted along Party line 82.3% of the time he's been in office. He's risen to fame by constantly pointing out the failures of his colleagues while simultaneously voting along Party lines a solid majority of the time he's cast a vote.

Cruz and Trump both have created, in the minds of their supporters, the illusion of being individuals who will somehow and single-handed, overcome all the inefficiencies they've been talking about in their stump speeches, if elected.

They're both running on a strong-man Presidency platform (an Obama-like Presidency) where they will dictate to Congress and the Courts what will be done.

They will both fail.

The system will not fall to their knees in awe of them and simply do their bidding. They will push back hard. As hard as both candidates pushed against "the system".

Back to Cruz, Rubio and illegals.

Cruz supported legalization. Said so in the floor of the Senate on May 21, 2013 while defending his Amendment to the infamous Gang of Eight bill:

In an exchange with Rubio on the December GOP debate, Cruz said: “I have never supported legalization, and I do not intend to support legalization.”

So then Cruz either lied on the Senate floor, or on the debate stage.

Duplicitous indeed.

damn, I've missed you.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 02:39:26 pm »
damn, I've missed you.

:beer:

I've been watching you.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 02:46:57 pm »
I can also guarantee you that I will not vote for Trump in the General Election either.

I can say the same for Cruz.

Right there with you.  Might vote for Cruz in a general but not Trump.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 02:53:52 pm »

Cruz and his supporters denigrate the GOP and the people who support the GOP. Have been doing it for years.

Voting for Cruz in the General, to me, would be akin to admitting they're right.

I won't do that.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 02:54:17 pm »

Neiter of you have to worry about that  cause TRump won't be in the general! At least not on the Republican ticket!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 02:58:58 pm »
I'll say the same thing I said in 08 about people refusing to vote for Romney..*President Obama thanks you*...this time it will be *President Clinton thanks you*......puke.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 03:00:44 pm »
Cruz and his supporters denigrate the GOP and the people who support the GOP. Have been doing it for years.

Voting for Cruz in the General, to me, would be akin to admitting they're right.

I won't do that.

I don't like Cruz at all. He's out for himself.  The fact that he's the only person I've ever heard George W. Bush bad mouth says a lot. Can't work with ANYBODY.

His breathy, preachy speaking style grates. He just comes across as oily. 

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2016, 03:01:18 pm »
I'll say the same thing I said in 08 about people refusing to vote for Romney..*President Obama thanks you*...this time it will be *President Clinton thanks you*......puke.

Yet, they still refused.

I figure I have the sase right to stand on my convictions as they did.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2016, 03:02:36 pm »
I don't like Cruz at all. He's out for himself.  The fact that he's the only person I've ever heard George W. Bush bad mouth says a lot. Can't work with ANYBODY.

His breathy, preachy speaking style grates. He just comes across as oily.

Yep.

And he looks like Grandpa Munster.