Author Topic: Paul Ryan Won’t Say If He Supports Rolling Back Order for Military to Use Women in All Combat Roles  (Read 252 times)

rangerrebew

Paul Ryan Won’t Say If He Supports Rolling Back Order for Military to Use Women in All Combat Roles

(CNSNews.com) – At his weekly press briefing on Thursday, House Speaker Paul Ryan would not say if he supports congressional action to roll back or restrict the military’s use of women in combat roles.

Defense Secretary Ashton Carter has ordered the armed services to open all combat roles in the U.S. military to women.

“There will be no exceptions,” Carter said at a Dec. 3 press conference [1]. “This means that, as long as they qualify and meet the standards, women will now be able to contribute to our mission in ways they could not before.

“They'll be allowed to drive tanks, fire mortars, and lead infantry soldiers into combat,” said Carter. “They'll be able to serve as Army rangers and green berets, Navy SEALS, Marine Corps infantry, Air Force parajumpers and everything else that was previously open only to men.”

At today’s briefing, CNSNews.com asked Speaker Ryan whether in light of Carter’s order he will support any congressional action to roll back or restrict the use of women in combat by the U.S. military.

CNSNews.com: “Defense Secretary Ashton Carter has ordered that all combat roles in the U.S. military be open to women. Will you support any action by Congress to roll back or restrict the use of women in combat by the U.S. military?”

Ryan: “I am going to leave this up to the committees. Again, I think people are used to the speaker sort of consolidating power and predetermining the outcome of everything around here. That is not the kind of speaker I am going to be. So, I would just, I hate to say it, but I am going to turn you over to the Armed Services Committee. Talk to them, because we are not going to make these decisions in the Speaker’s office.

“I believe Congress should work the way it was intended to work: Bottom up, members of Congress have their voices, the committees take the lead on policy. So, this is not an issue that I have spent a great deal of time on. Why? Because we have a fantastic chairman in [Rep.] Mac Thornberry. And, so, I would just defer you to him."

CNSNews.com: “Well, would those other people make that decision and put out legislation that would restrict--

Ryan: “I don’t know the answer to that question. That is why I am saying you should talk to ASC.”

Source URL: http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/penny-starr/paul-ryan-wont-say-if-he-supports-rolling-back-administrations-order-use