Author Topic: IRS computer problems shut down tax return e-file system  (Read 462 times)

Offline EdinVA

IRS computer problems shut down tax return e-file system
« on: February 04, 2016, 01:48:40 pm »
The IRS stopped accepting electronically filed tax returns Wednesday because of problems with some of its computer systems. The outage could affect refunds, but the agency said it doesn't anticipate "major disruptions."
A "hardware failure" forced the shutdown of several tax processing systems, including the e-file system, the IRS said in a statement. The IRS.gov website remains available, but "where's my refund" and other services are not working.
Some systems will be out of service at least until Thursday, the agency said. "The IRS is currently in the process of making repairs and working to restore normal operations as soon as possible," the IRS said.
Taxpayers can continue to send electronic returns to companies that serve as middlemen between taxpayers and the IRS. But those companies have to hold on to the tax returns until the IRS systems are up and running again, the IRS said.
While the IRS said it is still assessing the scope of the outage, it expects 90 percent of taxpayers will receive refunds within three weeks.
People who have already filed returns don't need to do anything more, the IRS said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/02/04/irs-computer-problems-shut-down-tax-return-e-file-system.html?intcmp=hpbt2

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: IRS computer problems shut down tax return e-file system
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 02:19:49 am »
A few days ago, I went to the local office of the IRS here, to get some forms so I could fill out my taxes.

I needed a Schedule B and a Form 1040a.
They had the Schedule B. Didn't see a 1040a.

Then I noticed a small posted sign.
They don't stock form 1040a at that office, it read.

?????

That's one of the essential forms, the one you actually file.
And you can't GET IT from the IRS.
At least not the local office that I was at...

(I downloaded pdf's from the net and printed my own...)

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 03:23:07 am »
Who is programming IRS computers, the Obamacare people?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 03:43:33 am »
A few days ago, I went to the local office of the IRS here, to get some forms so I could fill out my taxes.

I needed a Schedule B and a Form 1040a.
They had the Schedule B. Didn't see a 1040a.

Then I noticed a small posted sign.
They don't stock form 1040a at that office, it read.

?????

That's one of the essential forms, the one you actually file.
And you can't GET IT from the IRS.
At least not the local office that I was at...

(I downloaded pdf's from the net and printed my own...)

I tried to get a Tax ID# for my father's estate online with their "easy and quick" Taxpayer ID online form.  Filled it out and waited...finally a message came on my monitor "Cannot process at this time - contact (whatever) and use Reference Code 101" (something like that).  I called the number and was put on hold for a "30 min wait time" - one hour and 40min later...I got cut off.

Tried again, after waiting awhile - got a message that it was after 3PM and they were no longer taking any more calls - call back tomorrow.

I decided to go to the local IRS building and ask someone in person the next day.  After they confiscated my phone before I could go in - I went into a large room where I could only see cubicle walls and NO people.  It was as quiet as a tomb.  I took a number and waited (I was the only person there).  They finally called my number and I went back behind the cubicle wall where a very nice older lady asked how she could help me.

I told her my problem and gave her the Ref#.  She tore a piece of scrap paper and wrote a phone number on the back of it.  She said she couldn't help me and I would have to call this number.

Next time I was prepared -

- I peed before I dialed the number.
     - I got something to drink and a few snacks laid out before me.
     - I got in a comfortable chair.
     - paper and pen and all of my information ready.

Dialed the number and got the message of a 30 min. wait-time.  Just under two hours later (and I'm having to pee again) I finally get a live person.

She takes my information and says they will send me the Tax ID# in the mail - I should receive it in 30 days.

I wait 35 days - no number arrives.

I call and wait...wait...wait...again.  Finally I get someone and tell them I never received the number.  She makes me wait while she searches the system.  She comes back on and says I'm not in the system.  We start all over and I wait again. 

I finally got the number.

I swear to God that really happened.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline raml

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 05:10:50 am »
I was luckier than you the online worked for me but that was in 2009 after my father died and I was executor of his estate.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 07:23:55 am »
I was luckier than you the online worked for me but that was in 2009 after my father died and I was executor of his estate.

:beer:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 01:28:22 pm »
I believe it, Alice. We had fun getting an EIN for my late mother's trust. My sister applied online via her smartphone, but the battery was dying and somehow we ended up with two of them.  I went to an IRS office to try to cancel one. After having to come back, because they were at lunch, I finally spoke to a human being who gave me a phone number to call. I ended up writing a letter and still don't know whether they voided the unnecessary one.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 03:29:46 pm »
The last half of my military career I was an IT Program Manager.  As I headed up a Key Program and and had a budget over $100M I was invited to sit on a lot of boards or committees that advised various other IT efforts in DoD.  It has been my observation that Govt does not do large scale IT very well.  The failures I saw were stunning.  Typically in large programs if it has not launched when the costs hit $1 BILLION the program is killed.  It usually comes back a year or two later under a different name and different leadership.  Even the programs they manage to launch suffered from major issues thru its entire life and at some point its gets replace and the cycle of failure repeats.
Don:  Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 04:36:40 pm »
The last half of my military career I was an IT Program Manager.  As I headed up a Key Program and and had a budget over $100M I was invited to sit on a lot of boards or committees that advised various other IT efforts in DoD.  It has been my observation that Govt does not do large scale IT very well.  The failures I saw were stunning.  Typically in large programs if it has not launched when the costs hit $1 BILLION the program is killed.  It usually comes back a year or two later under a different name and different leadership.  Even the programs they manage to launch suffered from major issues thru its entire life and at some point its gets replace and the cycle of failure repeats.

Government - rewarding failure.

Welcome to The Briefing Room 17 Oaks!   :patriot: