Author Topic: ‘Gender Apartheid’: NYT Op-Ed Calls Obama Mosque Visit a Setback for Muslim Women’s Rights  (Read 411 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
A New York Times op-ed argues that Obama’s visit to the Islamic Society of Baltimore mosque “demonstrates tacit acceptance of a form of gender apartheid.”

From the New York Times:

As President and Michelle Obama argued decades ago in the context of the U.S. civil rights movement, separate is indeed unequal. To Muslim women’s rights activists fighting for equal access to mosques as part of a broader campaign for reform — from equal education for women and girls to freedom from so-called “honor killings” — the president’s visit to a mosque that practices such blatant inequity represents a step backwards. While it may be meant to convey a message of religious inclusiveness to American Muslims,  the visit demonstrates tacit acceptance of a form of discrimination that amounts to gender apartheid. For that reason, we will be standing outside the mosque on Johnnycake Road, as close as the Secret Service allows, to protest the separate and unequal standards inside and advocate for equal rights....

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/02/03/nyt-op-ed-obama-mosque-visit-step-backwards-for-womens-rights-in-islam/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Hmmm...well, this is a rare one. Props to them for consistency.  It will be interesting to see how this develops as the intransigence of Islam sinks in over time. Another day, props to them today.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline musiclady

Remarkable, but good.

At least someone on the left is admitting the obvious.  Supporting Islam, as Obama does, is supporting, not just inequality, but the oppression and abuse of women.

I'm guessing this moment of honesty will fade quickly, and will never be mentioned again.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Relic

Remarkable, but good.
At least someone on the left is admitting the obvious.  Supporting Islam, as Obama does, is supporting, not just inequality, but the oppression and abuse of women.

I'm guessing this moment of honesty will fade quickly, and will never be mentioned again.

Yep. It's not the first time someone has gone off the reservation. The leftist media is powerful, and resilient.

Offline musiclady

Yep. It's not the first time someone has gone off the reservation. The leftist media is powerful, and resilient.

And practices mind control over their zombie 'journalists.'
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline flowers

Hmmm...well, this is a rare one. Props to them for consistency.  It will be interesting to see how this develops as the intransigence of Islam sinks in over time. Another day, props to them today.
maybe the person who runs the op-ed section is on vacation?  Good for them.