Author Topic: Paul Ryan to Tea Party: You are the problem  (Read 1135 times)

Offline flowers

Paul Ryan to Tea Party: You are the problem
« on: February 04, 2016, 12:22:28 am »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/02/03/paul-ryan-to-tea-party-you-are-the-problem/

Today, Paul Ryan gave a fascinating speech at Heritage Action, a tea party-allied organization that has fashioned itself as the guardian of conservative purity. The speech called for unity. “To quote William Wallace in Braveheart,” he said, “we have to unite the clans.”

But his speech was actually a repudiation of everything the tea party has done. Not only that, Ryan also took shots at the congressional Republican leadership, and even the current GOP presidential candidates. He didn’t call anyone out by name, but if you understand what’s happening now and the conflict that has roiled the Republican Party for the last seven years, the critique was hard to miss.

Not surprisingly, for much of the speech he blamed conservatives’ own sins on progressives, Democrats, and Barack Obama. That has become a familiar refrain — It’s their fault that we’ve become such monsters! — but when you say that, you’re still acknowledging that the sins exist. Let’s start here:

“My theory of the case is this: We win when we have an ideas contest. We lose when we have a personality contest. We can’t fall into the progressives’ trap of acting like angry reactionaries. The Left would love nothing more than for a fragmented conservative movement to stand in a circular firing squad, so the progressives can win by default.

“This president is struggling to remain relevant in an election year when he’s not on the ballot. He is going to do all he can to elect another progressive by distracting the American people. So he’s going to try to get us talking about guns or some other hot-button issue and not about his failures on ISIS or the economy or national security. He’s going to try to knock us off our game. We have to understand his distractions for what they are. Otherwise, we’re going to have a distraction this week, next week, and the week after that. And that’s going to be the Obama playbook all year long.”

Yes, the party of Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush, of Donald Trump and Ted Cruz, cares not for “personality.” And look, nobody “trapped” Republicans into “acting like angry reactionaries.” They did that all on their own. But it’s interesting that Ryan cites guns as a distracting hot-button issue that is important only because Barack Obama is forcing conservatives to talk about it against their will. Last time I checked, lots of Republicans thought the gun issue is absolutely vital to maintaining liberty. The same is

HAPPY2BME

Re: Paul Ryan to Tea Party: You are the problem
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 12:26:29 am »
McConnell: We're Going to 'Crush The Tea Party Candidates Everywhere' in GOP Primaries This Year

I think we are going to crush them everywhere,” Mr. McConnell, the Senate Republican leader, said in an interview, referring to the network of activist organizations working against him and two Republican incumbents in Kansas and Mississippi while engaging in a handful of other contests. “I don’t think they are going to have a single nominee anywhere in the country.”

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2014/03/10/mcconnell-tea-party-candidates-will-get-crushed-everywhere-in-gop-primaries-n1806523

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/10/mitch-mcconnell-beating-tea-party-we-are-going-cru/

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 01:21:55 am »
Ryan represents everything that the country is disgusted with in Washington. He has never held a non political job outside DC. His lobbyist wife was probably picked because she is a member of some rich, well connected politicos. He instinctively fights for the ruling class in DC with his passivity to fight the Left.

In summation....he's a toad and an ineffectual proven loser.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 02:02:45 am »
Re: Paul Ryan to Tea Party:
You are the problem

Thanks for getting that off your chest, Paul.

At least we know where you stand!

BTW:
Where I stand, ain't with you!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 03:42:57 am »
Sounds like maybe Ryan can unite us.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 06:10:57 am »
Of course Ryan didn't say anything of the sort.  This is the WaPo's version of what they want the gullible Tea Party to believe.  The WaPo knows the Tea Party is dumb and they will not actually read the story critically because it has many long words and it is hard for the Tea Party to think deeper than a rhyming slogan.  The WaPo is much smarter than the Tea Party.  The WaPo leads...the Tea Party follows like a puppy.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 12:53:02 pm »
Again Once-Ler you are correct. Reading through the different quotes of the Paul Ryan speech I failed to find anything I disagree with or which was saying to the Tea Party: You are the problem.  His message of unifying is spot on. Especially when one is trashed because they endorsed Trump , Cruz, or Rubio. I did not like or understand Palin endorsing Trump, but I will not trash her and there is no question she has fought the fight for conservative ideas, although not always in the way I would prefer. The same goes for Trey Gowdy and his endorsement of Rubio or Rick Santorum's endorsement. Even though you may disagree with the endorsement or feel that they are light-weights, they should not be trashed. I still hold enormous respect for Paul Ryan, his work in the past on conservative ideas, and have high hopes of what he can do in the coming years with a Republican in the White House and control of both house and senate.

No just trash Trump and follow the UNIPARTY into total destruction of this country. If you like the current version of the Republican Conservatism that we have that is your choice. That sure has worked well! :chairbang:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 01:24:00 pm »
The answer to every problem is not always Trump.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 01:58:29 pm »
The answer to every problem is not always Trump.

True. The real answer to every problem is chocolate.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 02:04:58 pm »
 :beer:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 02:10:29 pm »

Think of it. With enough chocolate and a big conference table, we could lure in ISIS and teach them that a bag of Lindt can smooth over the rough edges of their lives.

Got an urge to behead? Grab a snickers bar. Problem solved!

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 02:19:47 pm »

Got an urge to behead? Grab a snickers bar. Problem solved!

You're not yourself when you are hungry Mohammed.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 02:20:26 pm by Wingnut »