Author Topic: John Kasich Just Told the Most Ridiculous Lie of the Campaign Season  (Read 761 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
http://www.redstate.com/leon_h_wolf/2016/02/03/john-kasich-just-told-ridiculous-lie-campaign-season/

If there's anything that has defined John Kasich on the campaign trail this year, it has been his nearly constant invocation of God Almighty to bolster his unpopular policy positions. By far the most popular reason for John Kasich to invoke God has been to defend his unilateral Medicaid expansion, which indefensible as a matter of conservative policy. Since Kasich doesn't have a good fiscal reason to defend it, he resorts to invoking God literally all the time to defend it.

Over at Watchdog.org, Jason Hart has catalogued a few dozen of the literally hundreds of times that Kasich has invoked Matthew 25 specifically to defend his policy. As we noted yesterday, Kasich's reliance on the Bible for defense of his policy is so absolute that he has resorted to sarcastically offering to purchase Bibles for people who oppose it. And if that were not enough, Kasich has been known to regularly refer to himself as Jesus.

So it came as some surprise today when Kasich claimed, in a clear swipe at Ted Cruz, that he wouldn't be bringing God into this campaign. Seriously. A man who has invoked the Bible more often than former Baptist pastor Mike Huckabee in the last year says it "cheapens" God to refer to him in a political campaign:

This notion that I’m not conservative is the most absurd thing, because even the New York Times says I’m not a moderate,” Mr. Kasich said at a Bloomberg Politics breakfast here Wednesday. “I don’t know why I can’t win conservative votes. I don’t know why I wouldn’t be able to win evangelicals. I don’t go out and try to win a vote using God. I think that cheapens God. But people know I’m a man of faith… I never have felt there was any vote I couldn’t get.”

This statement is so bizarre and absurd it's difficult to know where to begin, so how about at the beginning? A conservative would know that "even the New York Times says I'm not a moderate" is a terrible way to convince people that you are a conservative. A moderate would think it's a great idea.

As for "I don't know why I can't win conservative votes," a pretty good reason would be that you hired John Weaver, whose entire schtick is convincing candidates to appeal to New Hampshire Democrats by bashing conservatives.

As for "I don't go out and try to win a vote using God. I think that cheapens God[,]" well, that's easily the biggest lie of the Presidential campaign thus far. Just because you don't use God as a reason to, say, oppose abortion or gay marriage doesn't mean you aren't using God. Using God to defend the extrication of taxpayer money to fund government-run healthcare is still "using God," sir, and it cheapens God that you refuse to admit it.

---

Finally, someone is saying it. Liberals and moderate Republicans are some of the most preachy, pontificating hypocritical gasbags out there...while out of the other side of their mouth instantly berating any conservative that dares mention God.

Kasich is one of the worst offenders of that.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: John Kasich Just Told the Most Ridiculous Lie of the Campaign Season
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 07:53:35 pm »
He's a legend in his own mind!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 08:08:37 pm »

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 08:12:21 pm »

EXACTLY!!!  :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 08:16:06 pm »
Why am I getting the feeling that there is going to be a yugggge amount of competition in 2016 for the title of "the most ridiculous lie of the campaign season"?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Paladin

Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

HonestJohn

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 11:45:15 pm »

When you start referencing biblical times and the Romans... you know that Monty Python's 'The Life of Brian' will soon appear.  It can't be helped...

:tongue2:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 11:47:58 pm »

Worth repeating again.