Author Topic: John Kerry: ‘Not Even the President of the United States is Above the Law’  (Read 545 times)

rangerrebew

John Kerry: ‘Not Even the President of the United States is Above the Law’

Speaking at the official opening of The Washington Post’s new headquarters on Thursday, Secretary of State John Kerry said that the paper had once “proved that not even the president of the United States is above the law.”

Before making this remark, Kerry had noted that Watergate reporter Bob Woodward was in the room and alluded to the movie “All the President’s Men,” which was based on the book bearing the same title that was authored by Woodward and his Watergate reporting partner, Carl Bernstein.

Here is an excerpt from Kerry’s speech as posted on the State Department website [1]:

Now, all of you here know–I think Bob Woodward is here somewhere. I saw him. There he is, right here, Bob.

When the Post last time inaugurated its headquarters, it was 1972, and the White House was slamming this paper’s coverage of a certain third-rate burglary. And a year earlier, the Nixon administration had tried, passionately, to stop the publishing of the Pentagon Papers. And for many of us, this was a formative moment in our political lives and in our lives, period. Make no mistake, one reason that so many people in the media today are prepared to tell the truth, to stand up to powerful interests, is precisely because The Washington Post proved that not even the President of the United States is above the law.

Source URL: http://cnsnews.com/blog/cnsnewscom-staff/john-kerry-not-even-president-united-states-above-law

rangerrebew

:mauslaff: Has Lurch forgotten Bile Clinton was president? :bigsilly:

Online mountaineer

Lurch forgets who is his current boss, too.  :thud:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I never thought Kerry actually had a sense of humor. You learn something new every day.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink