Author Topic: Pastors polled- If the 2016 presidential election were held today, for who would you vote? Trump 5%  (Read 2864 times)

Offline NavyCanDo

http://www.lifewayresearch.com/2016/01/28/pastors-2016-presidential-candidates/

Undecided 39%
Ted Cruz 29%
ben Carson 10%
Marco Rubio 8%
Donald Trump 5%
Others 8%

NASHVILLE, Tenn. —Ted Cruz is the favorite presidential candidate of Protestant pastors who lean Republican. Hillary Clinton leads among Democratic pastors. And Donald Trump is near the back of the pack.

But “Undecided” is by far the most popular choice of America’s pastors according to a new telephone survey of 1,000 Protestant senior pastors from Nashville-based LifeWay Research. The survey found nearly half of those planning to vote (48 percent) don’t know whom they would vote for if the presidential election were held today.

“One of the most surprising findings of our survey was the poor showing of Donald Trump,” says Ed Stetzer, executive director of LifeWay Research. “When it comes to Mr. Trump, there seems to be a huge gap between the pulpit and the pew.”

Among other findings:

Half (54 percent) of Protestant pastors indicate they are Republicans. One in four are independent (23 percent), while one in seven (14 percent) are Democrats.
Among pastors who are Republicans, Cruz (29 percent) is in the lead, followed by Ben Carson (10 percent), Marco Rubio (8 percent), and Trump (5 percent). Thirty-nine percent are undecided.
Among pastors who are Democrats, a third favor Clinton (38 percent), one in four (23 percent) favors Bernie Sanders, and 31 percent are undecided.
Among pastors who are independents, almost 3 of 5 (57%) are undecided. Leading among independents are Cruz and Rubio (8 percent each), Carson and Sanders (6 percent each), Clinton (5 percent), and Trump (4 percent).
Older pastors (those over 64) are more likely to be undecided (54 percent) than those 18 to 44 (44 percent). They are also more likely to favor Trump (8 percent). Cruz does well with pastors 45 to 54 (21 percent).
Cruz does better with white pastors (19 percent) than with those of other ethnicities (5 percent).  Clinton does the opposite: 5 percent of white pastors favor her, along with 18 percent of pastors of other ethnicities.
Evangelical pastors prefer Cruz (18 percent), Carson (8 percent), and Rubio (8 percent). Mainline pastors choose Cruz (13 percent), Clinton (10 percent), Sanders (8 percent), and Carson (7 percent).
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

When asked for whom they would vote if the election were held today, only five percent of Republican-affiliated pastors selected Trump, compared to 29 percent who chose Ted Cruz, according to a new LifeWay Research poll.

Looks like Jerry Falwell Jr.'s endorsement of Donald Trump meant little to nothing at all.   Sorry to burst your bubble Trump supports who posted here that he had the Evangelical vote locked in. He doesn't.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline GAJohnnie

Of course, ignore the fact UNDECIDED wins.

Offline NavyCanDo

And ignore the fact that Cruz got 29% vs. Trump's 5%,  Rubio with 8%, which I expect will jump because of his good night.  Those undecided (including myself) will in large scores vote for Cruz and Rubio, or to a smaller extent they will vote their conscience and cast for Paul, Carson, or Fiorina. Trump will not win those undecided voters.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Many of those "undecided" believe in the separation of church and state and may not even vote at all.

I can speak for the church I attend, which is non-ideological and Methodist in tradition but leans conservative, that there is very little support for Trump, and in fact quite a bit of dismay regarding what he stands for in relation to the Christian way of life: greed, hedonism, egotism. There is some support for Cruz, given his father's evangelical background.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Those findings can be further analyzed, thusly:

0.54 = Republican leaning Protestants polled (from article)
0.29 = Percent selecting Cruz (from article)

0.37 = Protestants fraction of American population (from Wikipedia, 2014 see link below)

(0.54 * 0.29 * 0.37) = 0.0579 or 5.79 percent for Cruz

Hardly an earthshattering finding, indeed a predictable one since Cruz is aimed at winning this demographic group

Or more grasping at checklist straws, from an era gone by

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_religious_demographics_of_the_United_States

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

HAPPY2BME

Pastors polled - How many times has the Republican Party LIED to you about abortion and gay marriage while campaigning for president? 

100%

Offline NavyCanDo

Many of those "undecided" believe in the separation of church and state and may not even vote at all.

I can speak for the church I attend, which is non-ideological and Methodist in tradition but leans conservative, that there is very little support for Trump, and in fact quite a bit of dismay regarding what he stands for in relation to the Christian way of life: greed, hedonism, egotism. There is some support for Cruz, given his father's evangelical background.

Same with the large non-denominational church I attend. Now they don't make endorsements from the pew, and are not supposed to- but talking with other church members before and after church they seem to lean Cruz or Rubio heavily.   

HAPPY2BME

Same with the large non-denominational church I attend. Now they don't make endorsements from the pew, and are not supposed to- but talking with other church members before and after church they seem to lean Cruz or Rubio heavily.

===========================

Who will they LEAN HEAVILY to once Donald Trump is the GOP POTUS nominee?

Offline NavyCanDo

Pastors polled - How many times has the Republican Party LIED to you about abortion and gay marriage while campaigning for president? 

100%

HAPPY2BME, isn't it time you are HAPPY2Vote3rdParty.      If you really hate the Republican party that much, then look deeper in your voters pamphlet, and find someone without an R behind their name. There are plenty. 

Offline ArneFufkin

One would think they'd really go for a serial adulterer.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Or more grasping at checklist straws, from an era gone by
So we should give up? Assume all our problems can be wished away by some optimistic, "Everything is Awesome" mentality? I thought they disproved that one at Altamont.

Offline libertybele

HAPPY2BME, isn't it time you are HAPPY2Vote3rdParty.      If you really hate the Republican party that much, then look deeper in your voters pamphlet, and find someone without an R behind their name. There are plenty.

:beer:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline musiclady

Especially one that boasts about his adultery and says how great he is for doing that. Never a murmur of remorse.  Then boasts about how he bribes politicians to get what-ever he wants and  how they
all kiss his @ss to get his money and do anything for him. No remorse for his part in corrupting our politics. His reaction is always "I am great". And this wretch has minions of conservatives singing his praise? :shrug: This man is worse than Obama. If nominated for GOP the airwaves will be flooded with all indiscretions that really were not discrete. IF he is telling the truth about buying favors from politicians he deserves as much as HIllary to behind bars. IF he is lying that would just be typical Trump.

Agree with every word, cuky.

If Evangelical Pastors all cared about VIRTUE, then the percentage of them who were for Trump would be a big fat ZERO.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

HAPPY2BME

=============================================

I have never voted Democrat, Independent, Libertarian, or any other affiliation in my entire life.

For 45 years I have been a Republican.

I didn't leave the Republican Party.  The Republican Party left me.

Offline musiclady

=============================================

I have never voted Democrat, Independent, Libertarian, or any other affiliation in my entire life.

For 45 years I have been a Republican.

I didn't leave the Republican Party.  The Republican Party left me.

And Trump didn't even leave the Democrat party.  He just started calling himself a Republican and is trying to be our President.

If you truly have old time Republican values (the ones the party left), then you have absolutely NOTHING in common with Donald Trump.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

HAPPY2BME

And Trump didn't even leave the Democrat party.  He just started calling himself a Republican and is trying to be our President.

If you truly have old time Republican values (the ones the party left), then you have absolutely NOTHING in common with Donald Trump.

====================================

That's a fair question.

Why would any mature Republican see anything of merit that would convince them to support Donald Trump.

I think you will see the answer to that in the next few days and weeks.

My opinion does not matter any more than a single vote.

Yes, I will still vote for the Republican.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Good to see you Navy.  Stop in more frequently, and thanx for posting this.

Offline R4 TrumPence

How do you know? It seems to me from studying Trump that he is a conservative person. It seems to me that in the past when he's trying to get something accomplished and has to be with a Democrat he goes with the flow. That may not be good to you and may not be good to everybody else but when you consider all the good he's done for the troops and when you consider all the good he's done for a lot of other charities I would say he's not a bad person.

He has never drank or smoked and granted his infidelity are well known but he is not a serial adulterer or rapist as was Clinton. Nobody in this world is perfect. Jesus is not here on earth. He is not a living and breathing person that you can vote for.

So you have to use the cards were dealt with and think of who can shake up the place more than anybody else in the world. There are two people on our ballot for the primary that can do that and those are Cruz and Trump.

It would be very sad if you choose not to support Trump if you are Cruz supporter or vice versa. Depending who is the nominee.

Regardless of anything else Trump has done you have to know how much he supports the troops. And that is enough for me given everything else that he has done and said to be okay with him and their nominee if we cannot have Cruz!

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline musiclady

How do you know? It seems to me from studying Trump that he is a conservative person. It seems to me that in the past when he's trying to get something accomplished and has to be with a Democrat he goes with the flow. That may not be good to you and may not be good to everybody else but when you consider all the good he's done for the troops and when you consider all the good he's done for a lot of other charities I would say he's not a bad person.

He has never drank or smoked and granted his infidelity are well known but he is not a serial adulterer or rapist as was Clinton. Nobody in this world is perfect. Jesus is not here on earth. He is not a living and breathing person that you can vote for.

So you have to use the cards were dealt with and think of who can shake up the place more than anybody else in the world. There are two people on our ballot for the primary that can do that and those are Cruz and Trump.

It would be very sad if you choose not to support Trump if you are Cruz supporter or vice versa. Depending who is the nominee.

Regardless of anything else Trump has done you have to know how much he supports the troops. And that is enough for me given everything else that he has done and said to be okay with him and their nominee if we cannot have Cruz!

None of your opinions change the fact that he has, very recently supported far left ideology.

In his own words, he is hard-core pro-choice, pro-Obama's economic policies, pro government paid for health care, and any number of things that have been repeated ad nauseam here (because his loyalists just don't listen to the truth about him).

He is a Progressive, and not even a Progressive Republican.  He's a Progressive Democrat, who has bragged about his sleeping with many women, including married women.

And he is a great entertainer, pretending to be what he is not.

NO life-long conservative/Republican should be fooled by him.

(And I didn't even mention there his love for the Clintons and his thinking that Clinton was a great President).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 02:26:32 pm by musiclady »

HAPPY2BME

He is a Progressive, and not even a Progressive Republican. He's a Progressive Democrat, who has bragged about his sleeping with many women, including married women.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
You forgot number 5. Atheists don't recognize any time they might be proven wrong by someone religious.

HAPPY2BME

You forgot number 5. Atheists don't recognize any time they might be proven wrong by someone religious.

======================================

#6 - Religion crucified Jesus Christ.