Author Topic: Iowa Caucuses: A Subsidy for Iowa’s Political Establishment... By Jonah Goldberg  (Read 283 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/430456/print

Iowa Caucuses: A Subsidy for Iowa’s Political Establishment
By Jonah Goldberg — January 29, 2016

First, kill the Iowa caucuses.

Please note: I didn’t say, “Kill the Iowans.” I like Iowans and I like Iowa.

But we need to get Iowa’s boot off our neck.

That may be misunderstood, as well. You see, we’re not under the heel of all Iowans. If we were, that’d actually be better because that would mean lots of Iowans turned out to vote.

But most don’t. As Jeff Greenfield recently noted in Politico, rumors of Iowa’s commitment to democratic engagement are wildly overstated. In 2008, a record-shattering 350,000 caucus-goers caucus-went. All the buzz was about the precedent-shattering turnout for the Democratic longshot, Senator Barack Obama. He got first-time and young voters to come out in droves. “This is what democracy looks like!” was the spirit of the moment.

Greenfield quotes a study from the Kennedy School of Government: “In percentage terms, Iowa’s turnout was hardly earthshaking — only 1 in 6 of the eligible adults participated. The Democratic winner, Barack Obama, received the votes of just 4 percent of Iowa’s eligible voters. Mike Huckabee, the Republican victor, attracted the support of a mere 2 percent of Iowa adults.”

The turnout in New Hampshire: More than 1 in 2 (51.9 percent).

Such appallingly low turnout in Iowa underscores the real problem with the caucuses. They’ve been hijacked by party activists — on both sides

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Yawn. Old tired hackneyed caricatures of the Iowa GOP. There is no King Corn dominance of the Iowa Republican voter, and ethanol is on the downhill pole here.

Nice try, no cigar.
The Republic is lost.

Offline katzenjammer

Yawn. Old tired hackneyed caricatures of the Iowa GOP. There is no King Corn dominance of the Iowa Republican voter, and ethanol is on the downhill pole here.

Nice try, no cigar.

FV, a bit OT here, but I was wondering if you have any details (or links you can suggest) that describe the changes to how Iowa GOP is handling the delegate distribution and binding this year?  I am assuming that most of the delegates will still be committed after the caucus straw poll (is it still roughly a 1/3 at the County Conventions and 1/3 at the State Convention?).  As I was falling asleep some evening this week, I heard a guy on television talking about some changes in how delegates will remain bound, but I can't remember the specifics of what he was saying.

TIA.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

FV, a bit OT here, but I was wondering if you have any details (or links you can suggest) that describe the changes to how Iowa GOP is handling the delegate distribution and binding this year?  I am assuming that most of the delegates will still be committed after the caucus straw poll (is it still roughly a 1/3 at the County Conventions and 1/3 at the State Convention?).  As I was falling asleep some evening this week, I heard a guy on television talking about some changes in how delegates will remain bound, but I can't remember the specifics of what he was saying.

TIA.

I dug around awhile back and didn't see anything, but your post got me to take another look. Check this:

https://www.gop.com/the-official-guide-to-the-2016-republican-nominating-process/

Hover your mouse over each state to see the breakdown, descriptions are above. Iowa looks to have 15 at large, 12 congressional district, and 3 RNC, which comprise the Nat'l Committee Woman and Man, and the State Chair.

It looks like the RNC voted to make the states bind them winner-take-all or proportional at the time of the caucus or primary vote, not via convention. Looks like the Iowa GOP State Central Committee meeting changed their rules to accommodate that some time over the summer, and I did find their bylaws reflecting the change here:

https://www.iowagop.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/RPI-Bylaws-Updated-2015.pdf

Scroll down to article VIII.

I have not kept up, didn't realize they did this, and finally glad they did.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 07:42:41 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline katzenjammer

Much thanks, FV.  That second link seems to be the one I was looking for.   :patriot: