Author Topic: Donald Trump says he raised nearly $6 million for veterans with debate boycott  (Read 1826 times)

HAPPY2BME

As for the debate, it is well known that Megyn Kelly has chosen to conduct herself as an anti-Trump activist and not as an unbiased news reporter. Why should any self-respecting person be forced to subject themselves to being maligned on television by someone who earns a living selling advertising time for reverse mortgages and gold coins? Megyn Kelly is not an expert in any field except the field of gaining TV viewers in order to sell advertising. A debate moderated by Ms. Kelly was never going to be an impartial exercise to explore weighty issues, but rather an exercise in sensationalism and in debasing the next President of the United States – all for her own aggrandizement in order to secure higher name ID for herself and for her television show. She was a poor choice to moderate an event where the focus should be on the contenders, not the moderators. Fox News now has to live with consequences of their choice.

Veterans for a Strong America (VSA) – the group that endorsed GOP frontrunner Donald Trump aboard the USS Iowa in September – “absolutely supports” Trump’s boycott of Fox News’s GOP debate on Thursday and says the a debate moderated by Megyn Kelly was never going to be fair. The group calls Kelly “an anti-Trump activist.”

VSA issued a statement saying that Kelly was a bad choice for a debate moderator, “where the focus should be on the contenders, not the moderators,” adding, “Fox News now has to live with consequences of their choice.”

“For too long, self-important and self-appointed ‘pundits’ have run roughshod over the grassroots community, the political process, and have been given an out-sized role in the democratic process,” a statement released by VSA reads. “This system of ring-kissing and permission-asking at every level of the political spectrum has resulted in the wholesale disenfranchisement of large swaths of the American electorate. It is ruining the nation.”

As for the debate, it is well known that Megyn Kelly has chosen to conduct herself as an anti-Trump activist and not as an unbiased news reporter. Why should any self-respecting person be forced to subject themselves to being maligned on television by someone who earns a living selling advertising time for reverse mortgages and gold coins? Megyn Kelly is not an expert in any field except the field of gaining TV viewers in order to sell advertising. A debate moderated by Ms. Kelly was never going to be an impartial exercise to explore weighty issues, but rather an exercise in sensationalism and in debasing the next President of the United States – all for her own aggrandizement in order to secure higher name ID for herself and for her television show. She was a poor choice to moderate an event where the focus should be on the contenders, not the moderators. Fox News now has to live with consequences of their choice.

The organization said Trump’s event Thursday night “will be doing more to highlight the plight of today’s veterans than any debate could.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/01/28/2887723/

Offline aligncare

"“For too long, self-important and self-appointed ‘pundits’ have run roughshod over the grassroots community, the political process, and have been given an out-sized role in the democratic process,” a statement released by VSA reads. “This system of ring-kissing and permission-asking at every level of the political spectrum has resulted in the wholesale disenfranchisement of large swaths of the American electorate. It is ruining the nation.”"

Needed repeating.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
"But Veterans for a Strong America really does appear to be just one guy. This is apparently just a guy named Joel from South Dakota."

https://web.archive.org/web/20150919043256/http://www.ksfy.com/home/headlines/Arends-responds-to-Veterans-for-a-Strong-America-allegations-328140381.html

:shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

HAPPY2BME

"“For too long, self-important and self-appointed ‘pundits’ have run roughshod over the grassroots community, the political process, and have been given an out-sized role in the democratic process,” a statement released by VSA reads. “This system of ring-kissing and permission-asking at every level of the political spectrum has resulted in the wholesale disenfranchisement of large swaths of the American electorate. It is ruining the nation.”"

Needed repeating.

=============================

Next:  Communists infiltrate veteran's groups - force them under threat of death to campaign for Donald Trump.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

HonestJohn

https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/lookup2.php?strID=C00521302
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_for_a_Strong_America

Veterans for a Strong America is not a Veterans group, but a superPAC.

It has $30 in cash on-hand and $318 in debt.

It is chaired by Joel Arends and is located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

---

What does it say about Breitbart if they report this superPAC (who lost it's tax-exempt status in September 2015 and consists of only one person) as a Veteran's group?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 12:04:40 am by HonestJohn »

HAPPY2BME

Oh, good sir, these are troubled times...

Ni ni ni ni

=====================================

I've not seen this much $hit slinging since they invented the $hit sandwich.

Arends responds to Veterans for a Strong America allegations

On Tuesday, Donald Trump spoke aboard the decommissioned U-S-S Iowa battleship near Los Angeles, as part of a fundraiser for a group called "Veterans for a Strong America"; which is led by Sioux Falls attorney Joel Arends.

Arends attended the speech. In fact, Arends introduced Trump before the speech.
That same night, MSNBC pundit Rachel Maddow asserted the group isn't a group....that the only true member is Arends himself. "But Veterans for a Strong America really does appear to be just one guy. This is apparently just a guy named Joel from South Dakota."

Late Thursday night, Arends arrived back in South Dakota.
We sat down with him and he told us the reason he and his group are being attacked is because they are endorsing Donald Trump for president. "This is what happens when a conservative group of veterans takes a stand on an issue. In this case the stand that we took was supporting Donald Trump and we're proud to make that endorsement. We think he is going to be a great Commander-In-Chief."

As for the assertion that "Veterans for a Strong America" is just him, Arends says he works in tandem with six volunteer board members and that he has a database of more than 500,000 members who have contacted the organization.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Veterans for a Strong America is not a Veterans group, but a superPAC.
If it's a SuperPAC, it looks a whole lot like they're coordinating. A big FEC no-no.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

HonestJohn

=====================================

I've not seen this much $hit slinging since they invented the $hit sandwich.

Arends responds to Veterans for a Strong America allegations

On Tuesday, Donald Trump spoke aboard the decommissioned U-S-S Iowa battleship near Los Angeles, as part of a fundraiser for a group called "Veterans for a Strong America"; which is led by Sioux Falls attorney Joel Arends.

Arends attended the speech. In fact, Arends introduced Trump before the speech.
That same night, MSNBC pundit Rachel Maddow asserted the group isn't a group....that the only true member is Arends himself. "But Veterans for a Strong America really does appear to be just one guy. This is apparently just a guy named Joel from South Dakota."

Late Thursday night, Arends arrived back in South Dakota.
We sat down with him and he told us the reason he and his group are being attacked is because they are endorsing Donald Trump for president. "This is what happens when a conservative group of veterans takes a stand on an issue. In this case the stand that we took was supporting Donald Trump and we're proud to make that endorsement. We think he is going to be a great Commander-In-Chief."

As for the assertion that "Veterans for a Strong America" is just him, Arends says he works in tandem with six volunteer board members and that he has a database of more than 500,000 members who have contacted the organization.

If he's got additional board members, they aren't listed on his organization's paperwork.

HAPPY2BME

Des Moines, Iowa (CNN)If Donald Trump had any second thoughts about skipping the GOP debate, he certainly didn't show it as he took the stage before a raucous crowd at Drake University on Thursday night to say that he had raised nearly $6 million for veterans in one day.

For several days now, the pundits have pontificated about the damage that Trump's decision could inflict on his campaign. But, comparing his crowd and the number of cameras to the Academy Awards, Trump waved off the notion that Iowans would see him as a sore loser.

"We love our vets," Trump said.

"When you're treated badly you have to stick up for your rights," Trump added, alluding to his relationship with Fox. "And that's what our country has to do."

"We have to stick up for our country when we're being mistreated."

He added that Fox had been "extremely nice," but it was too late. In an interview with CNN just before the rally, Trump said Fox News "apologized" to him for a mocking statement the television network issued.

Also appearing with Trump were two men who didn't make the prime-time debate, and the two most recent winners of the Iowa Caucuses: Rick Santorum and Mike Huckabee.

'Donald Trump isn't scared of anything'

Trump supporters who waited hours in the cold to see him roundly disputed the notion that he would see any attrition in his support in Iowa, where he has led in recent polls.

In interviews, many voters here said the controversy was yet another example of Trump bucking the establishment -- a trait that has endeared them to him from the beginning -- and that they were proud of him standing up to Fox News.

Ernie Ratcliffe, an army veteran who served two tours in Vietnam, drove in from Kansas City for the rally, scoffed when asked for his thoughts on Texas Sen. Ted Cruz's contention that Trump skipped the debate because he was afraid of taunts or difficult questions from the Fox moderators or rival candidates.

"Donald Trump isn't scared of anything. He's not scared of absolutely anything," said Ratcliffe, who has signed up with his wife to call New Hampshire voters on Trump's behalf next week. "Donald J. Trump said he was going to do this and he's done it. He's a man of his word."

Ratcliffe said he was convinced that Trump was the only candidate who could clean up the Department of Veterans Affairs and that it would be "one of the first things he does when he gets into office."

"He's going to get it squared away," Ratlcliffe said. "It's not going to take him very long to do it. He's going to put the right people in. He knows how to manage things. He's a very successful businessman. He's going to get it done very quickly and very, very well."

Randal Thom, a former Marine who was among the first admitted to Trump's event, said he loved it that Trump refused to back down.

"When it came out yesterday that he was actually doing this (rally) in less than 24 hours, it was amazing," Thom said. "It just shows he has the ability to rally and get things done."

Thom, who raises Alaskan Malamute and Pomalute puppies in Minnesota, and plans to spend Monday in Iowa volunteering for Trump, dismissed Cruz as "a Canadian born citizen" and described the Texas senator, as well as the other GOP contenders as "weak."

"Trump is a 100% strongman. He's bullet proof," Thom said. "People say, 'Oh look at his background. Look at the number of wives he's had.' You know what? I don't care about that. What I care about is his future."

The details of exactly how Trump plans to parcel out money to veterans groups as a result of the event remained unclear on Monday night. But said he gave $1 million to veterans.

Inside the auditorium where Trump spoke, the campaign reserved special seating for veterans, many of them disabled, and Trump recognized them as he took the stage.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/28/politics/donald-trump-2016-election-rally-gop-debate/index.html

HAPPY2BME

I'm thinking Trump can win this with nothing other than Independents, Libertarians, and Democrats.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I'm thinking Trump can win this with nothing other than Independents, Libertarians, and Democrats.

The CSpan callers are ALL for Trump ... Democrats, Republicans, Independents.  They're jazzed!!

And the Vets are over the moon for Trump.

HAPPY2BME

The CSpan callers are ALL for Trump ... Democrats, Republicans, Independents.  They're jazzed!!

And the Vets are over the moon for Trump.

===========================

I'm predicting the largest landslide in history.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
That man is very impressed with himself.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

HAPPY2BME

==========================

I'll take him over Hillary or Bernie or Joe any day.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS

If you aren't, you have no business taking on the Democrat nominee.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline aligncare

If you aren't, you have no business taking on the Democrat nominee.

If Donald Trump were all talk and no action, that would be one thing. But, Donald Trump's actions speak much louder than his simple declarative sentences.

Offline GAJohnnie

Wonder if he knows about this?  http://thefederalist.com/2016/01/28/trumps-new-pro-veterans-website-directs-all-donations-to-trumps-personal-foundation/

Just another lie from the DC Media.

Here is the List of the 22 charities that took part last night. Partially glad to see DAV on that list. They are a very good group.

https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/MILITARY_CHARITIES_SHEET_FOR_MR._TRUMP.pdf

Offline GAJohnnie

What does it say that an "Honest John" he has taken to habitually lying because he doesn't like a candidate?

List of the 22 Vets groups that took part last night. I will take DAV word over the snarks of internet trolls.

https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/MILITARY_CHARITIES_SHEET_FOR_MR._TRUMP.pdf

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
It is a good list. I was also thrilled that he got the guys from 22kill up on stage, they need to be heard!

Not going to get off his ass about it totally until the cash is in their hands - like I said, veterans are WAY too often used for publicity by pols, then nada in actual support, and that is one of my red lines - but I'll back off on it for now.

Fair?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

It is a good list. I was also thrilled that he got the guys from 22kill up on stage, they need to be heard!

Not going to get off his ass about it totally until the cash is in their hands - like I said, veterans are WAY too often used for publicity by pols, then nada in actual support, and that is one of my red lines - but I'll back off on it for now.

Fair?

A lot has been made about the fact that money donated was first directed into Trump's foundation.

Simply put, in order for donations to be exempt from federal taxes, they must go into a 501(C) account.

There was not enough time for the Trump organization to set up a 501(C) specifically for this charity event. So, the money for veterans groups will be distributed through Trump's 501(C) foundation.

And as I said elsewhere, a multibillionaire doesn't need to steal pocket money on a nationally televised charity for wounded veterans. Let's stop hating on Donald Trump. If you go back to the 70s 80s and 90s and read the New Yorker magazine and the New York Times interviews with Donald Trump, veterans issues have always been a priority for Donald J Trump. The record is clear on this. Donald Trump loves "the veterans," and will be a great champion of Veterans causes as president.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 03:47:11 pm by aligncare »

Offline NavyCanDo

I have no issues with him skipping the debate. That's his decision. I certainly have no problems with him raising money for the causes of Veterans. But what doesn't sit right with me is his showboating, and holding this self-admiration event  simultaneously as the most important GOP debate of this election, purposely trying to destroy viewership.  Then publically saying, "because I won't be there nobody is going to watch, nobody.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn