Author Topic: Ted Cruz Super PACs Offer $1.5 Million To Veteran's Charities for Trump Debate, Fiorina Ups Ante to $2 Million  (Read 552 times)

HAPPY2BME

DES MOINES, Iowa — The super PACs supporting Ted Cruz are offering $1.5 million to veterans charities if Donald Trump agrees to debate Cruz one-on-one before the Iowa caucus, heightening the stakes around Cruz's proposal just five days before the Iowa caucus.

"Not only would this be a heck of a debate, but it would also be a terrific opportunity to generate millions of dollars for the veterans," the donors backing the pro-Cruz "Keep the Promise" entities said in a joint statement on Wednesday night.

Cruz laid out a specific proposal to Trump at a rally in West Des Moines on Wednesday evening, telling the crowd his campaign has reserved a venue in Sioux City, Iowa, for 8 p.m. local time on Saturday night. He said 800 seats are available for Iowans — and Trump can choose to do what he likes with half of them.

"We have the venue. We have the time," Cruz told the receptive, chuckling crowd. "All we're missing is the candidate."

Trump has a rally scheduled Saturday night in Davenport, Iowa, which is on the eastern border of the state. Sioux City, where Cruz is proposing, is on the western edge of the state.

Earlier on Wednesday, Trump tweeted his response to Cruz's offer: "Even though I beat him in the first six debates, especially the last one, Ted Cruz wants to debate me again. Can we do it in Canada?"

Cruz told NBC News on Wednesday night that candidates have to "show the respect and the humility to submit yourself to the voters and answer their questions."

"EVEN THOUGH I BEAT HIM IN THE FIRST SIX DEBATES, ESPECIALLY THE LAST ONE, TED CRUZ WANTS TO DEBATE ME AGAIN. CAN WE DO IT IN CANADA?"

Meanwhile, candidate Carly Fiorina looked to up the ante late Wednesday night, offering to donate $1.5 million to veterans causes to debate Trump and Cruz on Saturday night or $2 million to debate just Trump on Thursday night at Drake University here in Des Moines.

Cruz first chided Trump after his rival bowed out of Thursday night's GOP debate in Des Moines. Trump is opposed to Fox News' decision to use host Megyn Kelly, who he has called not "professional at all," after testy exchanges between the two in the first Republican debate in August.

"I promise you Putin is a lot scarier than Megyn Kelly," Cruz said on Tuesday. "I'd like to hear Donald explain to the American people and to the people of Iowa how he is prepared to be commander-in-chief if he's terrified by a television host."

The super PACs said in their statement that the debate must last an hour and the pair may choose the moderators to their liking.

Cruz has already proposed that radio and TV hosts Mark Levin, Sean Hannity or Rush Limbaugh as moderators, or open the floor to the audience to ask questions.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/ted-cruz-super-pacs-offer-1-5-million-trump-debate-n505591

HAPPY2BME

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 06:31:27 am by HAPPY2BME »

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
So many mini-mes, so little time.

In classic political strategy, if that's holding, the more you know you are behind, the more you want to debate.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 06:42:57 am by Scottftlc »
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I'm very curious to see how Trump responds to this.  If it were me, I would not like Cruz dictating all of these conditions to me these last few days before the primary.  Does he not think that Trump might already have his plans in place for those days?

And now Carly wants to debate too.  Ted and Carly are like the Debate Champion Homecoming King and Queen - it's their specialty - what they do best.  Trump, not so much - much more a doer that doesn't spend his time memorizing and rehearsing details.  Just because he has a different skill set than they do, does not make him a stupid man incapable of governing a nation. 

I prefer the doer over the talkers and I don't think Trump should fall for what I perceive as a "trap" to try to make him look inarticulate and uninformed.  If they want to give money to veteran's causes - just give it!  Don't attach strings - maybe Ted and Carly should debate each other since they enjoy it so much.  I'm not voting for a champion debater, I'm voting for someone that gets things done.

Of course, Trump hasn't asked for my opinion.  Like I said, I'm curious to see how he responds.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

HAPPY2BME

In classic political strategy, if that's holding, the more you know you are behind, the more you want to debate.

=============================================

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj4nJ1YEAp4

Offline alicewonders

I love that, it perfectly describes them!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The super PACs supporting Ted Cruz are offering $1.5 million to veterans charities if Donald Trump agrees to debate Cruz one-on-one

SuperPacs are not allowed to communicate or coordinate with the candidate they support.  Wouldn't this ploy break campaign finance laws?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 12:25:15 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

SuperPacs are not allowed to communicate or coordinate with the candidate they support.  Wouldn't this ploy break campaign finance laws?

I don't know if it's even legal under the laws PACs are formed by. Can they just up and give away a hefty chunk of change to charity?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Longiron

Chump change ! Trump will raise a hellva a lot more than that tonight and all will have fun doing it except the bench crowd :silly:

Online libertybele

I'm very curious to see how Trump responds to this.  If it were me, I would not like Cruz dictating all of these conditions to me these last few days before the primary.  Does he not think that Trump might already have his plans in place for those days?

And now Carly wants to debate too.  Ted and Carly are like the Debate Champion Homecoming King and Queen - it's their specialty - what they do best.  Trump, not so much - much more a doer that doesn't spend his time memorizing and rehearsing details.  Just because he has a different skill set than they do, does not make him a stupid man incapable of governing a nation. 

I prefer the doer over the talkers and I don't think Trump should fall for what I perceive as a "trap" to try to make him look inarticulate and uninformed.  If they want to give money to veteran's causes - just give it!  Don't attach strings - maybe Ted and Carly should debate each other since they enjoy it so much.  I'm not voting for a champion debater, I'm voting for someone that gets things done.

Of course, Trump hasn't asked for my opinion.  Like I said, I'm curious to see how he responds.

Fiorina to my knowledge has no known debating awards from a major University.  However, both she and Cruz are very capable debaters, that we have witnessed. Whereas Donald makes a statement and repeats it over and over; he does not have the communication skill level that both Fiorina and Cruz possess.

Donald is a coward.  He's afraid to debate anyone one on one. He doesn't have in depth knowledge of important issues and he knows it -- repeating a sentence over and over again indicates that.  I watched the interview he did with O'Reilly -- O'Reilly would ask him a question and he would answer and O'Reilly would ask another question and Trump would repeat the answer to the previous question. This kind of repetitive response went on throughout the interview.  He has done the same in every interview that I have seen him in since he announced his campaign.  He lacks substance and I think he lacks in depth knowledge of most issues.  He is a lot of hot air and is able to push buttons on issues, but really knows very little about them.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline alicewonders

Fiorina to my knowledge has no known debating awards from a major University.  However, both she and Cruz are very capable debaters, that we have witnessed. Whereas Donald makes a statement and repeats it over and over; he does not have the communication skill level that both Fiorina and Cruz possess.

Donald is a coward.  He's afraid to debate anyone one on one. He doesn't have in depth knowledge of important issues and he knows it -- repeating a sentence over and over again indicates that.  I watched the interview he did with O'Reilly -- O'Reilly would ask him a question and he would answer and O'Reilly would ask another question and Trump would repeat the answer to the previous question. This kind of repetitive response went on throughout the interview.  He has done the same in every interview that I have seen him in since he announced his campaign.  He lacks substance and I think he lacks in depth knowledge of most issues.  He is a lot of hot air and is able to push buttons on issues, but really knows very little about them.

You like Cruz because he can debate, I like Trump because he can do.  I would say that a lot of people agree with me when you look at poll numbers, so I don't think Donald's lack of debating skills has hurt him much.  The people will choose, in the end.  People like the Donald Trump brand, and that includes the way he talks. 

So, I repeat - if Cruz and Fiorina want to give money to the veterans causes - just give it without strings attached.  If Trump doesn't debate them, I guess the veterans won't get their money.

Oh, that's right - it's Cruz's PAC money - he's not allowed to have any contact with them - but he has agreed to debate Trump without knowing about the strings attached by his PAC's.

Does anyone really believe this - no contact whatsover?  Seriously?

Offline Longiron

WINNER at business and now politics but remember at 80% he implodes. We know losing is no fun Liberty but you must CHILL. :amen: