Author Topic: Poll: Evangelicals flocking to Trump - Trump 37% / Cruz 11%  (Read 990 times)

HAPPY2BME

Poll: Evangelicals flocking to Trump - Trump 37% / Cruz 11%
« on: January 27, 2016, 02:26:00 am »
Donald Trump’s outreach to Christians is bearing fruit, if results of the NBC News/Survey Monkey weekly online tracking poll out Tuesday are any indication.

Among white evangelical Republican voters nationally, Trump earned the support of 37 percent, while Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, whose father is a pastor and has played a key role in recruiting faith leaders to support his son, is at 20 percent. In the same survey conducted the previous week, Cruz registered 9 percentage points higher. Below the top two contenders, Ben Carson earned 11 percent among evangelicals, and Marco Rubio took 10 percent.

The Manhattan business mogul, who is Presbyterian, made headlines throughout the course of the past week for his various interactions with fellow Christians, including a stop at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia, last Monday. Delivering the weekly convocation address, Trump caused a stir when he made reference to a book in the Bible a “Two Corinthians,” rather than the usual nomenclature, “Second Corinthians.” (Trump later claimed that it was written that way in his notes, and besides, his mother was Scottish and would have said it that way.)

Trump also attended a Presbyterian service in Muscatine, Iowa, on Sunday, at which the pastor made reference to the ongoing immigration crisis, a central plank in the Republican’s campaign, and humility, in general. “I don’t know if that was aimed at me,” Trump said later.

The poll’s overall week-to-week standings show little shift with Trump leading the field at 39 percent, Cruz at 17 percent and Rubio at 10 percent. No other candidate received double-digit support.

On the Democratic side, Hillary Clinton’s advantage remained in double digits, at 51 percent to Bernie Sanders’ 37 percent.

The poll was conducted online from Jan. 18 to 24, surveying a national sample of 9,690 adults, including 8,215 who indicated that they are registered to vote. The poll included 2,327 Republicans and 2,780 Democratswith margins of error of 2.8 percentage points and 2.2 percentage points, respectively.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/trump-evangelicals-poll-218210

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Poll: Evangelicals flocking to Trump - Trump 37% / Cruz 11%
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 02:41:10 am »
That's good to know.  I hope it helps him in Iowa!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 02:47:23 am »

===============================

This latest development of him refusing to answer Megyn Kelly's (loaded) questions will make a negative impact on him in conservative circles, but I doubt the toll of that will be as bad as what is being already projected.

Here's the difference that will make:  Trump will lose a few, but gain much more than he lost by bucking Rupert Murdoch's talking heads.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 03:12:50 am »
===============================

This latest development of him refusing to answer Megyn Kelly's (loaded) questions will make a negative impact on him in conservative circles, but I doubt the toll of that will be as bad as what is being already projected.

Here's the difference that will make:  Trump will lose a few, but gain much more than he lost by bucking Rupert Murdoch's talking heads.

Happy, he's not going to lose anyone that didn't already dislike him.  Those "real" conservatives will laugh while they whistle past the graveyard, and they'll jump up and down and make jokes about him.....but they were doing that already. 

Trump's already pulling out his General Election strategy.  There's a lot of people on both sides of the aisles (myself included) and in the middle of the aisle that hate Faux News.  I stopped watching them years ago.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 03:37:02 am »

To put it into words, Trump draws his support this way: a little bit from the far right, some from the right, a great deal from the middle, and some from the left.

He's also carrying greater support than is reported or polled from Hispanics, blacks and women.

And he owns the Latin dance instructor and hair stylist demographic.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 03:41:31 am »

Me too!

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 03:43:15 am »
Happy, he's not going to lose anyone that didn't already dislike him.  Those "real" conservatives will laugh while they whistle past the graveyard, and they'll jump up and down and make jokes about him.....but they were doing that already. 

Trump's already pulling out his General Election strategy.  There's a lot of people on both sides of the aisles (myself included) and in the middle of the aisle that hate Faux News.  I stopped watching them years ago. 

goopo

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 03:53:38 am »
To put it into words, Trump draws his support this way: a little bit from the far right, some from the right, a great deal from the middle, and some from the left.

================================

That's called the 'swing vote.'

And Donald Trump is the ONLY one with an 'R' on his forehead that can carry it.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 03:57:53 am »

:hands: :hands:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 05:48:19 am »

If so, you can surely show me ONE nationally recognized poll where Trump beats Hillary. Just one.

But you can't. There isn't one. If there was, Longiron would never shut up about it.  :tongue2:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 05:53:13 am »

You are asking to see a poll that's meaningless. When it's a two man race, every thing changes.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 06:00:29 am »
If so, you can surely show me ONE nationally recognized poll where Trump beats Hillary. Just one.

But you can't. There isn't one. If there was, Longiron would never shut up about it.  :tongue2:

There are polls which show Trump ahead of Clinton. Trump, unlike almost all of the rest, has continued to improve in polls.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/elections/
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 06:04:33 am »
No, I'm asking to see a poll that is FAR from meaningless. The one which shows Trump's support in action against Hillary. Not "oh, he gets 25% of the hispanics," or "20% of the black vote" when a Dem is not in the frame. One where a Dem is included will paint a FAR different picture.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 06:06:31 am »

I don't remember which poll, but I clearly remember at least one poll that showed all of the top 3 or 4 GOP candidates beating Hillary.  Besides, with so many candidates - support is spread out.  After the first few primaries - support will start to concentrate on the winner/s of those primaries. 

Things are going to change quickly now. 

Do you really think that Ted Cruz can win the general election?  Do you see many Democrats voting for him?  I can see Democrats voting for Trump.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 06:19:23 am »
Dems won't vote for Cruz. Not at all, he's anathema to most everything they believe. However, they won't go out of their way to vote AGAINST him, especially with an uninspiring candidate on their side. That's why he beats Hillary in a match-up.

Trump will pick up center left votes. Not all of them or even most of them, but some. He'll also galvanize the younger voters into getting to the polls to vote against him, far more than any Dem votes he picks up. He nullifies the one true advantage conservatives have in election years - most conservatives are old, and old people VOTE.

:shrug:

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 06:32:24 am »
Dems won't vote for Cruz. Not at all, he's anathema to most everything they believe. However, they won't go out of their way to vote AGAINST him, especially with an uninspiring candidate on their side. That's why he beats Hillary in a match-up.

Trump will pick up center left votes. Not all of them or even most of them, but some. He'll also galvanize the younger voters into getting to the polls to vote against him, far more than any Dem votes he picks up. He nullifies the one true advantage conservatives have in election years - most conservatives are old, and old people VOTE.

:shrug:

I guess we'll see.  Tell me, what are the issues they despise Trump so much for?  Immigration?  Being rich?  Calling people names?  I'm talking about young people.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 06:38:16 am »
They never actually say - but it's mostly the being rich part. Not just rich - in-your-face, vulgarly flashing it rich.

Kind of stupid, they love entertainers who do that. The young are pretty dumb.  :shrug:

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 06:58:09 am »
They never actually say - but it's mostly the being rich part. Not just rich - in-your-face, vulgarly flashing it rich.

Kind of stupid, they love entertainers who do that. The young are pretty dumb.  :shrug:

Very true, they've been dumbed down by the system for a couple of generations.  I hate to tell them, but Hillary! is pretty rich too.  I could see them going for Bernie though.