Author Topic: Trump: Ted Cruz 'looks like a jerk'  (Read 5387 times)

Offline flowers

Trump: Ted Cruz 'looks like a jerk'
« on: January 26, 2016, 06:35:26 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/trump-cruz-jerk-218225

For Donald Trump, in some ways, Ted Cruz "looks like a jerk."

The heated personal rhetoric directed by Trump at Cruz cranked up another few degrees on Tuesday morning, with the Manhattan business mogul unloading on his Republican rival in back-to-back morning show interviews.

The comment about the Texas senator's appearance came after MSNBC's "Morning Joe" played a clip of Cruz's latest campaign ad, which features a 1999 "Meet the Press" interview in which Trump called himself "very pro-choice" and an out-of-context remark at a November rally in Iowa in which he remarked, "How stupid are the people of Iowa?" (The latter comment came as an incredulous Trump mocked biographical details from Ben Carson, who claimed in his biography and on the trail to have attempted stabbing a friend with a knife, only to have it hit his belt buckle, an act that Trump mimed for the Fort Dodge crowd at the same event.)

"He's a liar," Trump said of Cruz, adding, "that's why nobody likes him, that’s why his Senate people won’t endorse him, that’s why he stands in the middle of the Senate floor and can’t make a deal with anybody."

"He looks like a jerk, he’s standing all by himself. And you know, there’s something to say about having a little bit of ability to get other people to do things. You can’t be a lone wolf and stand there. That’s sort of what we have right now as a president," he continued.

Co-host Mika Brzezinski interrupted, asking Trump if he was actually comparing Cruz to President Barack Obama.

"Well, they’re the same. I think actually, Ted is more strident than Obama, if you want to know the truth. Nobody gets along with Ted. At least some people like Obama. Nobody likes Ted. I don’t find anybody that likes him," Trump claimed. "You talk to senators, I talk to senators who frankly want to come out and endorse me."

Before appearing on MSNBC, Trump called in to ABC's "Good Morning America," where he also trashed the Texas senator for his criticism of Trump's support of eminent domain, in particular, Cruz's claim in another ad last week that Trump "colluded with Atlantic City insiders to bulldoze" an elderly woman's home.

“I never ripped down the house. I decided I wouldn’t do that," Trump remarked. "He’s just saying lie after lie, it’s not becoming."

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Trump: Ted Cruz 'looks like a jerk'
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 06:40:17 pm »
Trump says Cruz "looks like a jerk".   The other day he called him a "whackjob".  The day before that he called his own supporters minions and fools.   

What will it take for Trump supporters to show some self-respect?   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 06:51:06 pm »
I so fear that Trump and Cruz are going to end up taking each other out and we end up with Rubio or worse. 

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 06:55:30 pm »
I don't think Ted looks like a jerk.  His looking like Grandpa Munster would get my vote.   ^-^

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 06:56:54 pm »
I don't think Ted looks like a jerk.  His looking like Grandpa Munster would get my vote.   ^-^

Actually someone proved it, on YouTube I think, Ted Cruz looks exactly like Mr. Haney in Greenacres, he even sounds like him. Now that's remarkable!

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 06:58:35 pm »
I so fear that Trump and Cruz are going to end up taking each other out and we end up with Rubio or worse.

I would be concerned about this as well, but I just don't think Ted has enough juice to get through the armor.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 06:59:17 pm »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 06:59:26 pm »
Can Trump address a candidate's platform? Could he possibly tell us why he's superior to Bernie or Hillary?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 06:59:47 pm »
I would be concerned about this as well, but I just don't think Ted has enough juice to get through the armor.

I think bombast is the better word.

Offline Relic

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 07:00:24 pm »
Actually someone proved it, on YouTube I think, Ted Cruz looks exactly like Mr. Haney in Greenacres, he even sounds like him. Now that's remarkable!

And Mr. Haney was a real deal maker!

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 07:05:02 pm »

This one's funny: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjPo_n5qRuA

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 07:10:11 pm »
Can Trump address a candidate's platform? Could he possibly tell us why he's superior to Bernie or Hillary?

Do you really need to ask that question? I don't want to be confrontational – but, really?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 07:12:38 pm »

I think that's a distinct possibility.  Except I don't fear it - maybe we can muster up a conservative who can win in the fall.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 07:40:13 pm »

I'm sorry. I rethought that comment. You're right low information voter's probably need to have those differences hammered over their heads. My apologies, mountaineer.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 11:54:44 pm »
I'm sorry. I rethought that comment. You're right low information voter's probably need to have those differences hammered over their heads. My apologies, mountaineer.
When Trump addresses the issues and stops name calling,  maybe I'll listen.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 12:41:10 am »
"He looks like a jerk, he’s standing all by himself. And you know, there’s something to say about having a little bit of ability to get other people to do things. You can’t be a lone wolf and stand there. That’s sort of what we have right now as a president," he continued.

Of course, the whole sentence is not repeated, as usual.  If you look at the whole sentence (and really, is not the WHOLE sentence required when assessing what someone is saying?) - he's not attacking Ted Cruz's looks.  He's saying that he looks like a jerk, standing there all by himself. 

It's a subtle thing that makes a difference in the meaning.  It's like someone saying, "She's wicked beautiful." - and it being reported as, "She's wicked."

But it's OK if Ted Cruz puts an ad out about Trump bulldozing an old woman's house - when he did not do that - when he never even bought the house.  If we want to talk about issues, let's talk about a candidate that has pure principles - to hear his supporter's talk - intentionally airing a lie. 

We probably won't have that discussion though.   :shrug:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 12:54:10 am »
Of course, the whole sentence is not repeated, as usual.  If you look at the whole sentence (and really, is not the WHOLE sentence required when assessing what someone is saying?) - he's not attacking Ted Cruz's looks.  He's saying that he looks like a jerk, standing there all by himself. 

It's a subtle thing that makes a difference in the meaning.  It's like someone saying, "She's wicked beautiful." - and it being reported as, "She's wicked."

But it's OK if Ted Cruz puts an ad out about Trump bulldozing an old woman's house - when he did not do that - when he never even bought the house.  If we want to talk about issues, let's talk about a candidate that has pure principles - to hear his supporter's talk - intentionally airing a lie. 

But Trump did try to force the woman to sell using eminent domain laws, and the woman had to defend her property, which must have taken thousands of dollars in legal fees plus put a certain amount of stress on the woman.  Trump himself did not have to pay a cent as he used the taxpayers' lawyers to prosecute the woman.  It is still a sad abuse of power, whether he ended up winning the case or not.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 12:55:10 am »
But Trump did try to force the woman to sell using eminent domain laws, and the woman had to defend her property, which must have taken thousands of dollars in legal fees plus put a certain amount of stress on the woman.  Trump himself did not have to pay a cent as he used the taxpayers' lawyers to prosecute the woman.  It is still a sad abuse of power, whether he ended up winning the case or not.

It's OK; he didn't comment on her looks.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 01:24:14 am »

If memory serves, it's usually the left that relies on the old "republicans want to kick grandma out of her home" trope. Who could have anticipated such an attack from a fellow Republican like Ted Cruz? Why it's unn-mmerican.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 01:29:44 am »

So, no scorn for the government?

Government lawyers did this and judges (again, lawyers) decided this. What was Donald Trump's reason for bringing suit?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 01:30:22 am »
When Trump addresses the issues and stops name calling,  maybe I'll listen.

He doesn't have the emotional wherewithal to do that, mountaineer.

That would require maturity, and he's never going to get there.

His fans make fun of those of us who call him a baby, but when he continues to make fun of people's appearances (especially considering his own), he continues to prove why he has no business running for, or God forbid, becoming the President of the United States.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 04:31:06 am »
So, no scorn for the government?

Government lawyers did this and judges (again, lawyers) decided this. What was Donald Trump's reason for bringing suit?

Of course scorn for government.  It's a case of crony capitalism.  Trump was trying to buy this property for a parking lot.  The lady refused to sell, so he got the city to use its eminent domain power to force her to sell to him.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 06:45:19 am »
Um - he lost the case. That's why he didn't buy the house.

There was no change of mind involved. The case went to court, the lady won. End of story.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 07:05:04 am »
Um - he lost the case. That's why he didn't buy the house.

There was no change of mind involved. The case went to court, the lady won. End of story.

NOT end of story!  Cruz put an ad out saying that Trump bought the house and had it bulldozed down. 

Ted Cruz, everyone's perfect principled conservative - put an ad out there that anyone can easily disprove just by lightly scratching the surface.

All this other stuff is just subterfuge. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 02:21:52 pm »
NOT end of story!  Cruz put an ad out saying that Trump bought the house and had it bulldozed down. 

Ted Cruz, everyone's perfect principled conservative - put an ad out there that anyone can easily disprove just by lightly scratching the surface.

All this other stuff is just subterfuge.

Interesting, Alice.  Do you have a link to that ad?