Author Topic: Macklemore explores his 'White Privilege' in new rap song  (Read 321 times)

Offline Paladin

Macklemore explores his 'White Privilege' in new rap song
« on: January 24, 2016, 07:55:02 am »
Yeah, ok, who is he and who cares what guilt he feels he must express? It's the irony in the story which captured my attention.

"NEW YORK (AP) — Macklemore explores racism and hip-hop in a new song called "White Privilege II," rapping about a white person's position in society with black people fighting injustice and even namechecking Iggy Azalea for appropriating black culture, along with himself.

The track, released Friday, is close to nine minutes long and starts with the Grammy-winning rapper at a march in support of the Black Lives Matter movement.

"I wanna take a stance because we are not free, and I thought about it, we are not we," he raps on the song, released with musical partner Ryan Lewis. "Am I in the outside looking in? Or am I in the inside looking out?"

Essence magazine entertainment director Cori Murray said she appreciated Macklemore's honesty."

And so on and so forth, yada, yada, yada. http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/macklemore-explores-his-white-privilege-new-rap-song

And now for the rest of the story. In 2014 this guy won several Grammys for his performances of RAP music. As one observer noted: "Macklemore and Ryan Lewis swept the rap categories at Sunday night's Grammy Awards, picking up statues for Best Rap Song ("Thrift Shop"), Best Rap Performance ("Thrift Shop") and Best Rap Album ("The Heist"). A passionate debate about the Seattle rapper's likely win had been percolating on the internet for months. Many pointed to Kendrick Lamar's "Good Kid Maad City" as the LP that should have won Best Rap Album, and to Kanye West's "New Slaves" for Best Rap Song. Part of the controversy focuses on whether Macklemore is more a pop artist than a pure rapper, while others wonder if Macklemore, who is white, attracts the attention of Grammy voters who may not have otherwise paid attention to the category..."

Talk about White Privilege!

The comments at the link are an interesting read, btw: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/26/macklemore-ryan-lewis-grammy-tweets_n_4670863.html
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.