Author Topic: The World They Made  (Read 562 times)

Offline xfreeper

The World They Made
« on: January 21, 2016, 07:30:28 pm »
The World They Made

"Imagine giving this advice to a Republican presidential candidate: What if you stopped calling yourself a conservative and instead just promised to make America great again?" What do you think might happen in the current climate, where the middle class in the country feels totally left out of everything going on?

They feel like they've been targeted by every liberal Democrat policy that has not been stopped by the Republican Party. What if you dropped [talking] about the free market," stop all of that, "and promised to fight the elites who were selling out American jobs? What if you just stopped talking about reforming Medicare and Social Security and instead said that the elites were failing to deliver better health care at a reasonable price? What if, instead of vainly talking about restoring the place of religion in society ... you simply promised to restore the Middle American core," and everything it stands for?

http://www.steynonline.com/7432/the-world-they-made

Offline xfreeper

Re: The World They Made
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 07:33:45 pm »
Steyn gets it. It is not about dems vs GOP or conservatives vs Libs or right ve left. It's about the peaceful revolt of the people (the rubes). A rebellion against all they (both patrties and their donors) have done to this country

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 07:39:02 pm »
Steyn gets it. It is not about dems vs GOP or conservatives vs Libs or right ve left. It's about the peaceful revolt of the people (the rubes). A rebellion against all they (both patrties and their donors) have done to this country

Hear!  Here!

:amen:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 07:43:56 pm »

I love Steyn's biting sarcasm. I swear there are tooth marks along the edges of my iPad after reading his column.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 07:47:17 pm »

Exactly.  I heard Rush during that segment yesterday, I guess Mark did as well.  Rush also brought up (again) the Codevilla article as well: AMERICA’S RULING CLASS — AND THE PERILS OF REVOLUTION .

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 08:17:54 pm »
Free market, Social Security, Medicare, religion...and you can add flat tax or fair tax and entitlement reform...there are all of these things that we KNOW the answer to, we know how they could or should be done.  But NO ONE lives there.  They aren't going to vote for the guy with the best tax plan or the best written out plan for comprehensive immigration reform. They are going to vote for the guy with a blow torch in his hand and an army behind him that will "do" instead of "talk."

They live day-to-day in the world that was largely built by the left as the Republicans dithered around with military contractors and energy money.  And we don't offer them anything except theories - good sounding theories - but the flat tax or the fair tax are NEVER going to happen in our lifetimes - if suddenly no left wingers existed in any federal office, you could do it.  That ISN'T EVER going to happen.  I don't care if you live two lifetimes, you will never see it.  So stop offering up wonderful new plans that NO ONE cares about.  Stop talking - start banging around in the basement, clearing the rot out.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Relic

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 08:27:09 pm »
Free market, Social Security, Medicare, religion...and you can add flat tax or fair tax and entitlement reform...there are all of these things that we KNOW the answer to, we know how they could or should be done.  But NO ONE lives there.  They aren't going to vote for the guy with the best tax plan or the best written out plan for comprehensive immigration reform. They are going to vote for the guy with a blow torch in his hand and an army behind him that will "do" instead of "talk."

They live day-to-day in the world that was largely built by the left as the Republicans dithered around with military contractors and energy money.  And we don't offer them anything except theories - good sounding theories - but the flat tax or the fair tax are NEVER going to happen in our lifetimes - if suddenly no left wingers existed in any federal office, you could do it.  That ISN'T EVER going to happen.  I don't care if you live two lifetimes, you will never see it.  So stop offering up wonderful new plans that NO ONE cares about.  Stop talking - start banging around in the basement, clearing the rot out.

Republicans offer nothing. Nothing.

Look at Boehner, McConnell and now Ryan. When you elect Republicans the only thing you are absolutely sure to get is excuses as to why they can't do what they promised to do.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 11:55:54 pm »
aligncare wrote above:
"I love Steyn's biting sarcasm. I swear there are tooth marks along the edges of my iPad after reading his column."

Hey! Kinda like me at my keyboard: