Author Topic: Senators: Don't demote Petraeus  (Read 481 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senators: Don't demote Petraeus
« on: January 21, 2016, 02:26:53 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/266541-mccain-reed-urge-defense-chief-not-to-demote-petraeus

By Kristina Wong - 01/20/16 07:29 PM EST

Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Jack Reed (D-R.I.) on Wednesday urged Defense Secretary Ash Carter not to demote David Petraeus from his status as a retired four-star general.

The Daily Beast reported earlier this week Carter was considering demoting Petraeus over a misdemeanor conviction more than four years ago for sharing classified intelligence with his biographer Paula Broadwell, a former Army intelligence officer with whom he had an extramarital affair.

“It is rare that a retirement grade determination is conducted for an officer previously retired from the U.S. armed forces,” McCain and Reed, the Senate Armed Services Committee chairman and ranking member, wrote in a joint letter to Carter.

“It is rarer still that such a review would be conducted nearly four and a half years after the date the officer retired," they added.

McCain and Reed — both military veterans — said administrative determinations that include retirement grade determinations cannot be re-opened, set aside or a different result order except for the cases of fraud, error or newly discovered evidence presented within a reasonable timeframe.

They pointed out that a demotion in his retired rank for a misdemeanor conviction would be discretionary.

"We are concerned such a retirement grade review, taking place nearly a year after the misdemeanor conviction in which General Petraeus admitted his guilt, and apologized for his actions, is manifestly unreasonable and unfair," they said.

“The unusual circumstances surrounding this review raise serious questions about the motivations behind it,” McCain added in a statement.

Petraeus testified in front of the Senate Armed Services Committee last September for the first time after news of his extramarital affair broke and he resigned as CIA director. 

The retired four-star general apologized to the committee before he began his testimony on U.S. policy in the Middle East, which was well-received by Republicans and Democrats on the committee.

"We take this opportunity to remind you of General Petraeus’ long career of exceptionally distinguished, honorable and dedicated service to our Nation and to the soldiers he so brilliantly led to success in combat," McCain and Reed wrote.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Senators: Don't demote Petraeus
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 04:39:31 pm »
"We are concerned such a retirement grade review, taking place nearly a year after the misdemeanor conviction in which General Petraeus admitted his guilt, and apologized for his actions, is manifestly unreasonable and unfair," they said.

I'm not sure I agree with this.   :pondering:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 04:56:45 pm »
I am with you on this Right in Virginia. His actions were wrong and happened because of his pursuit of personal satisfaction. When these actions can put America at risk, then this additional punishment seems more than appropriate to me and will serve as a reminder to all who hold positions of trust and are entrusted with classified government intelligence. 

Well said!

(And you can call me RIV   ^-^ )

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 04:57:38 pm »
...and consider, leniency for Patreus could be precedent for leniency for Hillary.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan