Author Topic: Trump: Europe is terrific place for investment  (Read 514 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Trump: Europe is terrific place for investment
« on: January 20, 2016, 03:52:32 am »
Donald Trump 2013 Op Ed. I suggest careful and close reading.  Excerpt to draw interest.

What has been made clear by current events and financial upheavals since 2008 is that the global economy has become truly that -- global.

The near meltdown we experienced a few years ago made it clear that our economic health depended on dependence on each other to do the right thing....

My concern is that the negligence of a few will adversely affect the majority. I've long been a believer in the "look at the solution, not the problem" theory. In this case, the solution is clear. We will have to leave borders behind and go for global unity when it comes to financial stability.

Is this possible? Is this a new frontier? Yes and no. There is the fait accompli strategy -- stay under the radar -- and the passive aggressive strategy, acts of terror used to paralyze and so on -- so the bottom line must be balance. Rationality must rule. There are philosophical approaches to economics. However, at this point, we don't so much need philosophy as we need action. Which way to proceed is the question....

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/22/business/opinion-donald-trump-europe/

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Trump: Europe is terrific place for investment
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 06:35:11 am »
Bookmarking to see what people here who have a clue about economics etc say.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Trump: Europe is terrific place for investment
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 07:31:46 am »
Bookmarking to see what people here who have a clue about economics etc say.

I can't claim to understand economics very well, but I am starting to warm to Trump, as a political player who will do what needs to be done, to win.  I find many of his statements, made before he announced last year, to fall in agreement with my own positions, and even though I still wonder who the real Trump is, I'm starting to consider that the new Trump is 2016 version of Bill Clinton's boob bait for the bubba's.  Instead of saying "I tried SO HARD in the last 1 month, since I was elected, to come up with the way to give a middle tax class tax cut, but I can't"...like Bubba Clinton...Trump will say "I tried SO HARD to deport 30 million workers,  but I can't."

I dunno.  Maybe that is wishful thinking, but when the choices are Trump or Cruz...both vying for the affections of the xenophobic right fringe...I think it is a wash.  I don't believe Cruz or Trump are bigots, regardless of what their campaign message is.  Cruz has a long political history of supporting legal immigration.  Trump has a public record of supporting minority causes.

I thought that immigration was the key issue...and it may be for some voters...but for me it comes back to my own 3 big issues. 

#1 Taxes...I think Cruz wins on this but neither candidate has promised to cut my taxes.  I like Rubio on this issue.
#2 Military...Neither Cruz or Trump has been strong on the military.  If I had to pick one it would be Cruz but I give neither credit.
#3 Abortion...This one is too easy.  Cruz wins hands down.

So I'm still rooting for Cruz, but my hatred of Trump is subsiding.   I'm getting to the point where I am not so angry about a Trump nomination.  Many months ahead.

Go Cruz