Author Topic: Cruz Catapults to Top in Iowa in New Poll, Leapfrogging Trump  (Read 843 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Cruz Catapults to Top in Iowa in New Poll, Leapfrogging Trump
« on: January 19, 2016, 05:53:24 pm »
Ted Cruz catapulted to frontrunner status in Iowa on Saturday night with a new poll showing the Texas senator with 31 percent of the GOP support in the state, 10 points ahead of Donald Trump's 21 percent.

In the new Des Moines Register/Bloomberg Politics poll, Cruz, considered the new evangelical favorite, leapfrogged the candidate he has continually avoided to cross paths with throughout the campaign.

The poll, conducted by longtime, respected Iowa pollster Ann Selzer, is seen as a bellwether for the state of the race. Voters in Iowa will get the first chance at picking the Republican nominee at the caucuses in less than two months on February 1.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/cruz-catapults-top-iowa-new-poll-leapfrogging-trump-n479046

Offline musiclady

Re: Cruz Catapults to Top in Iowa in New Poll, Leapfrogging Trump
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 06:00:38 pm »
Good.  May the catapult continue.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 06:04:25 pm »

Which is why Trump began sharpening his attacks on Cruz. He said so in the debate. Cruz is leading in Iowa and represents the greatest threat to him.

Offline GAJohnnie

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 06:11:56 pm »
Article is from 12-15-2015

I'm sorry, I made the mistake of not reading the article. However, I believe Cruz is leading in most polls currently.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 06:18:04 pm »
Oh yes, no doubt Cruz is leading.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 06:30:18 pm »
Cruz may have "Catapulted" in mid-December, but today it is Don Trump, holding a small lead:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/ia/iowa_republican_presidential_caucus-3194.html

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 06:42:00 pm »
Good.  May the catapult continue.
He can follow in the path of Rev. Huckabee, the 2008 Iowa GOP winner (but not eventual nominee) and Father Santorum 2012 Iowa GOP winner (but not eventual nominee).

FWIW Iowa can hardly be proved meaningful in a national sense, since it voted for Gore in 2000, Obama in 2008 and 2012.

So the logical conclusion I draw is that Iowa is not meaningful for who the nominee is, and it is not meaningful for winning the national election.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 06:50:12 pm »
Which is why Trump began sharpening his attacks on Cruz. He said so in the debate. Cruz is leading in Iowa and represents the greatest threat to him.

Well, apparently Kasich is on Trump's coattails in New Hampshire. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 06:55:23 pm »
He can follow in the path of Rev. Huckabee, the 2008 Iowa GOP winner (but not eventual nominee) and Father Santorum 2012 Iowa GOP winner (but not eventual nominee).

FWIW Iowa can hardly be proved meaningful in a national sense, since it voted for Gore in 2000, Obama in 2008 and 2012.

So the logical conclusion I draw is that Iowa is not meaningful for who the nominee is, and it is not meaningful for winning the national election.

Iowa gives the winner some momentum - what they make of that momentum is up to them.  It does seem that Iowa goes for the candidate that invokes religion the most, so obviously, that is not a good bellwether as to who will eventually win. 

Good to see Trump fighting so hard for it though and good to see Cruz fighting back.  This is why they call it a race.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 07:13:29 pm »
I'm sorry, I made the mistake of not reading the article. However, I believe Cruz is leading in most polls currently.

I love you, Align---but what should I care what you believe?   Have you updated polls?

Thanks.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 07:16:44 pm »
I love you, Align---but what should I care what you believe?   Have you updated polls?

Thanks.

I meant in Iowa. Is that your question?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 09:10:49 pm »
Iowa gives the winner some momentum - what they make of that momentum is up to them.  It does seem that Iowa goes for the candidate that invokes religion the most, so obviously, that is not a good bellwether as to who will eventually win. 

Good to see Trump fighting so hard for it though and good to see Cruz fighting back.  This is why they call it a race.

Based on what I wrote, a wise person could say the GOP should entirely change the system, move away from Iowa first etc.

And the track record for New Hampshire as an indicator is not much better.

Why? Well the GOP has lost the popular national vote 5 of the last 6 times, for openers. Those results would indicate there is nothing to lose, by change.

Why not start in a two large GOP states, first one conservative and then the next more moderate? Nothing to lose (but money it would take).
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln