Author Topic: 'Natural Born' Issue for Ted Cruz Is Not Settled and Not Going Away  (Read 275 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/natural-born-issue-ted-cruz-not-settled-not-going-away-n499226

While the nation's legal scholars differ over the exact meaning of the Constitution's requirement that a person must be a "natural born citizen" to become president, they're unanimous in saying Ted Cruz is wrong about an important point. "As a legal matter, the question is quite straightforward and settled law," Cruz has said. "People will continue to make political noise about it, but as a legal matter it is quite straightforward." In fact, the experts say, it is neither settled nor straightforward. It's not settled — because the Constitution does not define "natural born," a phrase that appears in the nation's founding document only once. And though the federal courts have chewed on it from time to time, the U.S. Supreme Court has never officially said what it means. It's not straightforward — because at the time the Constitution was written there were different ideas about what the phrase meant and competing legal theories about where the power to confer citizenship came from. The meaning of the term is so unsettled that scores of constitutional experts have been writing about it in the weeks since Donald Trump made it an issue in the 2016 campaign.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 04:43:38 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: 'Natural Born' Issue for Ted Cruz Is Not Settled and Not Going Away
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 05:19:54 pm »
I am willing to bet some who now defend Cruz' Canadian birth to one citizen parent, opposed Obama's Hawaiian birth to one citizen parent.

(last I checked, Alberta is a Province in Canada, and Hawaii is a state in the US)

So many Republicans fought so openly and loudly against Obama's natural born citizenship, that their credibility is diminished.

The irony is that in the long run, it will hurt the case for Cruz.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

Re: 'Natural Born' Issue for Ted Cruz Is Not Settled and Not Going Away
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 08:56:34 pm »
This will hurt Cruz forever.