Author Topic: Jada Pinkett Smith to Academy We're Not Begging You Anymore You're Irrelevant to Us  (Read 2760 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.tmz.com/2016/01/18/jada-pinkett-smith-academy-oscars-video/

Jada Pinkett Smith did something remarkable and powerful Sunday, posting words that could have been delivered by Black Panther Eldridge Cleaver 50 years ago.

Jada -- whose husband, Will Smith, was overlooked by the Academy for his performance in "Concussion" -- says in a super powerful way, "Maybe it's time we pull back our resources and we put them back into our communities, and we make programs for ourselves that acknowledge us in ways that we see fit, that are just as good as the so-called mainstream."

Jada suggested, "We can no longer beg for the love, acknowledgement or respect of any group."

She made it clear ... she won't be attending the Oscars.

You gotta listen to her ... back in the day Eldridge was viewed by the "mainstream" as radical and dangerous.  Jada revives the sentiment, and it doesn't sound radical or dangerous at all.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
She and her husband have enough money to produce whatever quality movie they want to make it an Oscar contender. I'm betting Concussion will have Will up for an Oscar next year (it was out of the running by 2 days of the release for this years Oscars).

I do love the irony though that this is mostly Hollywood liberals who are making these decisions. 

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Welcome to the club Jada, I haven't watched the Oscars in twenty years or more. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I wrote elsewhere that with 13% of the population, it is not discriminatory for blacks to be off the lists for two years at a time.

I guess they expect quota-results all of the time. They do have talented people.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

Welcome to the club Jada, I haven't watched the Oscars in twenty years or more.
I haven't watched it in decades either. No awards show anymore.

Wingnut

She and her husband have enough money to produce whatever quality movie they want to make it an Oscar contender. I'm betting Concussion will have Will up for an Oscar next year (it was out of the running by 2 days of the release for this years Oscars).

I do love the irony though that this is mostly Hollywood liberals who are making these decisions.

Jada is said to be organizing the 1st Annual Affirmative Action Oscars.   Should be showing on MSNBC next spring.

Offline flowers

I see she has no problem with her hubby taking the white mans money.

Offline alicewonders

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/latest-news/article55280340.html

JANUARY 18, 2016 3:00 AM

Spike Lee to boycott Oscars ceremony, blames studios for lack of diversity

For “Chi-Raq,” Spike Lee loosely adapts “Lysistrata,” the comedy in which the women of Greece refuse to have sex with their husbands until combat ends.
For “Chi-Raq,” Spike Lee loosely adapts “Lysistrata,” the comedy in which the women of Greece refuse to have sex with their husbands until combat ends. Parrish Lewis Parrish Lewis

BY DAVID NG
Los Angeles Times

Spike Lee has said that he and his wife will not attend the Academy Awards ceremony next month, citing the lack of racial diversity among the nominees in all four acting categories for a second year in a row.

The outspoken filmmaker of "Do the Right Thing" and "Malcolm X" was a recipient of an honorary Oscar in November, and he was expected to attend Hollywood's biggest night at the Dolby Theatre in February.

On Monday, Lee asked on his Instagram account: "how is it possible for the 2nd consecutive year all 20 contenders in the acting category are all white?"

He added: "For too many years when the Oscars nominations are revealed, my office phone rings off the hook with the media asking me my opinion about the lack of African-Americans and this year was no different."

Lee said that he "means no disrespect" to the Oscars host Chris Rock and producer Reginald Hudlin, or to Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences president Cheryl Boone Isaacs, who are all African-American.

"As I see it," he wrote, "the Academy Awards is not where the 'real' battle is. It's in the executive office of the Hollywood studios and TV and cable networks. This is where the gate keepers decide what gets made and what gets jettisoned to 'turnaround' or (the) scrap heap."

The filmmaker's boycott comes after a strong public backlash following Thursday's announcement of the Oscar nominations.

Many news outlets, including The Times, highlighted the fact that all 20 acting nominees are white. The Twitter hashtag #OscarsSoWhite also saw a comeback as people took to the social media platform to express their anger.

Lee's announcement comes after a social media message from Jada Pinkett Smith in which the actress said that she would not attend or watch the Oscars this year.

On a recent video posted to Facebook, Pinkett Smith, who is the wife of "Concussion" actor Will Smith, said that the academy has the right to acknowledge and invite whomever it chooses.

But she said that "begging for acknowledgment" diminishes the black community. "We are a dignified people," she said.

"Concussion" failed to land any Oscar nominations this year.

Lee's latest movie, "Chi-Raq," was released late last year and earned some of the strongest reviews that the director has received in years, but also failed to receive any nominations.

The New York filmmaker, who couldn't immediately be reached for comment, has been nominated twice but has never won a competitive Oscar.

When he accepted his honorary statuette at the Governors Awards in November, Lee gave a speech that was critical of the studios and spoke about the lack of black executives in positions of power in Hollywood.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/latest-news/article55280340.html#storylink=cpy

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 09:44:05 pm by alicewonders »

Offline alicewonders

Uh Oh.  Looks like there's a #blackactorsdemandoscars movement.

:th_10444:

Offline flowers

I have boycotted it for years. Any movie they give the Oscar to, I usually won't ever watch. It agenda driven, and has been for years. That is why I am surprised Will Smith didn't get the nod. I read here it was 2 day out of the voting cycle, so not qualified for this years Oscar.  :tinfoil: or was it because they knew blms would be upset no blm types given the nod.      :smokin:

Offline alicewonders

I have boycotted it for years. Any movie they give the Oscar to, I usually won't ever watch. It agenda driven, and has been for years. That is why I am surprised Will Smith didn't get the nod. I read here it was 2 day out of the voting cycle, so not qualified for this years Oscar.  :tinfoil: or was it because they knew blms would be upset no blm types given the nod.      :smokin:

Interesting theory.  You could be right and I wouldn't put it past them.  Like you say, it was probably just a matter of the movie not making it to this year's voting cycle........BUT STILL - shouldn't they have broken the rules to allow it? 

I mean - that's racist!

Offline andy58-in-nh

If you want to see a lack of racial "diversity", watch an NBA game. So? In competitive sports, the only things that matter are effort and ability, and no true fan cares about the skin color of their heroes. In all other walks of life, no honest person cares either: the content of our minds and hearts make us who we are. For their part, Oscar nominations are fickle and given Hollywood's liberal tendencies, more likely to favor than disfavor minorities.   

It is regrettable that a wealthy, privileged director (and Lakers fan) like Spike Lee appears to view people through a shallow-focus lens, revealing only the blacks and whites of his prejudgment, for which there is a similar and related word.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline katzenjammer

Uh Oh.  Looks like there's a #blackactorsdemandoscars movement.

:th_10444:

#BlackRolesMatter

:laugh:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I wrote elsewhere that with 13% of the population, it is not discriminatory for blacks to be off the lists for two years at a time.

I guess they expect quota-results all of the time. They do have talented people.

I'd agree with you - except that 13% of the population doesn't get a sniff at any of the awards, really. Not even the techfreak ones. You seriously going to tell me there are no talented black cameramen, sound guys, make up and costume artists, modellers working Hollywood? The actual actors are only an insignificant (but highly visible) tip of Hollywood racism.

Typical Liberal mindset, the Academy has. We're not racist at all, but "Joe Blogs gets the nod over Tyrone Blogs for his camerawork for "reasons." You are only a pleb, you wouldn't understand the technicalities."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/chris-rock-drop-oscars-host-article-1.2500532

The comic actor is facing pressure to bow out as host of the 88th annual Oscars — with less than six weeks to go before the Feb. 28 telecast — over the mounting calls for boycotting the awards in response to the lack of diversity among the Oscar nominees.

On Monday’s holiday celebrating Martin Luther King Jr., both Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett Smith announced they would not be attending the Academy Awards to protest a second straight year without a black actor receiving a single nomination.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I think perhaps the better move if I'm a BLM-type guy is, knowing Chris Rock is one of them, to let him rip into the Academy.

If Rock stays on, expect an excoriating monologue. If I'm the Academy, I'm in an EXTREMELY uncomfortable situation right now: obviously they can't fire him, and keeping him on is going to be a huge risk.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Wingnut

The Oscars Awards are like a High School Homecoming King and Queen election......

Online mountaineer

The Oscars Awards are like a High School Homecoming King and Queen election......
A massive "who cares?" event for me. This latest hissy fit by Jada P. Smith, et al., about the lack of black nominees is laughable. When they also complain about the lack of diversity among Democrat presidential candidates - all rich, old, white folk - wake me.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
A massive "who cares?" event for me. This latest hissy fit by Jada P. Smith, et al., about the lack of black nominees is laughable. When they also complain about the lack of diversity among Democrat presidential candidates - all rich, old, white folk - wake me.
That's why I find it so amusing: you have white, elitist liberals against black, angry liberals. Just grab the popcorn and watch the fireworks.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Wingnut

Tell me about it.   Next thing you know they will want a Black President.

Online mountaineer

John Rivers ‏@JohnRiversToo 8m8 minutes ago
John Rivers Retweeted TheBlaze

When do Asians, Hispanics & Whites boycott the @NBA for having too few People of Lightness? Or would that be Racist?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Hollywood shares none of my values, and doesn't represent any of the people, places or things in my life.  I will continue to boycott them.

Online mountaineer

The Motion Picture Academy that dispenses the Oscars acknowledged Monday that the group was "heartbroken" over the lack of diversity in this year's Oscar acting nominations, and pledged to make "big changes."
We're sorry, the correct response would have been, "Quotas are wholly inappropriate to the Oscar nomination process."

Rest of story at The Wrap.

Offline aligncare

Tell me about it.   Next thing you know they will want a Black President.

The one we had poisoned the well for future black candidates.

Frankly, I really don't want to go through another 'let's talk about race' moment before having coffee at my corner Starbucks.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 02:01:44 pm by aligncare »

Offline aligncare

We're sorry, the correct response would have been, "Quotas are wholly inappropriate to the Oscar nomination process."

Rest of story at The Wrap.

Sharpton smells a big payout. Sharpton is an expert in RUM, racial unrest management. He can make the big Hollywood producers' race problems "go away" for the right fee.

Ugh, I'd hate it if my secretary said Al Sharpton was waiting outside.