Author Topic: Krauthammer Identifies Shocking ‘Moment Of The Debate’ That ENRAGED Many  (Read 1050 times)

HAPPY2BME

Western Journalism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CnJ6T2SvOY

Fox Business debate moderator Maria Bartiromo, who was born and raised in New York City, asked the candidate what he meant by that.

Maria Bartiromo:
"Senator Cruz, you suggested Mr. Trump quote, “embodies New York values.” Could you explain what you mean by that?"

Ted Cruz;
"Everyone understands that the values in New York City are socially liberal. are pro-abortion, are pro-gay marriage, focus around money and the media."

"Not too many years ago, Donald did a long interview with Tim Russert. And in that interview he explained his views on a whole host of issues that were very, very different from the views he’s describing now. And his explanation, he said ‘Look, I’m from New York.’
And I guess I can frame it another way. Not a lot of conservatives come out of Manhattan. I’m just saying."

Donald Trump:
"So, conservatives actually do come out of Manhattan, including William F. Buckley and others, just so you understand. When the World Trade Center came down, I saw something that no place on earth could have handled more beautifully, more humanely than New York. You had two 110-story buildings come crashing down. I saw them come down."

"We saw more death, and even the smell of death, nobody understood it, and it was with us for months, the smell, the air. And we rebuilt downtown Manhattan and everybody in the world watched and everybody in the world loved New York and loved New Yorkers.
And I have to tell you that was a very insulting statement that Ted made."

Fox News commentator Charles Krauthammer identified what he thought was the moment of Thursday night’s GOP debate, when Trump left Cruz “utterly speechless and essentially beaten.”

Charles Krauthammer:
"I thought that was the moment of the debate. Now if you score the debate on who won this round, who won on points it would be different. But I think that was a moment where Trump clearly had won, Cruz, the main challenger, had lost and that alters the calculus of the whole evening."

Megyn Kelly:
"He, Trump nailed that answer. And, you know, I was saying internally, if he had finished it with, ‘We saw the hundreds of firefighters and police officers run into the burning buildings to save others here in New York City. Those are our New York values.'"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CnJ6T2SvOY

HAPPY2BME

After hearing this several times, I have to lean towards the summary Ted Cruz gave on New York.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
After hearing this several times, I have to lean towards the summary Ted Cruz gave on New York.

But Cruz was politically tone deaf.  He handed Trump a sword. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
I'm a west coast guy, so this didn't seem as big a deal to me.  Perhaps in the east this is a major thing, but it just doesn't resonate with me as anything other than another gotcha momentary thing.  Maybe Hillary could use it in the general...but there is going to be a thousand of those yet to happen. They happen a lot more than used to back in the old days before social media and constant coverage.  I think that lessens the impact...though on the other hand Romney was certainly vulnerable to one of those, so you never know in the end.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

HAPPY2BME

====================================

No ... he was only telling the truth.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
====================================

No ... he was only telling the truth.

Perhaps he was.  Perhaps if this were a debate,  he'd be judged the winner of the exchange.   But this is an election, not a debate.   His remarks,  truthful or not, were politically tone-deaf.  New Yorkers?   And some,  I assume, are good people?   Foolish, foolish, foolish.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

HAPPY2BME

Maybe Hillary could use it in the general...but there is going to be a thousand of those yet to happen. They happen a lot more than used to back in the old days before social media and constant coverage.  I think that lessens the impact...though on the other hand Romney was certainly vulnerable to one of those, so you never know in the end.

=================================

Hillary won't use it in the general because if she did she would be agreeing with her fellow New Yorker Donald Trump.

I'm glad you brought up ole' Mitt ..

Mitt Romney Didn't Want To Be President - Business Insider

Mitt Romney Admits Obamacare Was Based on Romneycare

HAPPY2BME

Perhaps he was.  Perhaps if this were a debate,  he'd be judged the winner of the exchange.   But this is an election, not a debate.   His remarks,  truthful or not, were politically tone-deaf.  New Yorkers?   And some,  I assume, are good people?   Foolish, foolish, foolish.

=====================================

Yeah, Ted amputated one of his legs on it, but I happen to agree with him (not the part about him amputating his leg).

And of course there are great folks all around NYC.  Emphasis on 'all around.'

Offline libertybele

Actually it was a DEBATE.  The election hasn't taken place yet.  Cruz was merely telling the truth; a viewpoint of New York that many share.  Trump quickly turned the focus in another direction.  Yes, I would say that Trump won that round; however since then on this issue, Cruz has trumped Trump.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The reasoning which is totally overlooked, and denied by "contemporary conservatives" is this:

If Cruz is going to disrespect NY is he going to disrespect my state as well?

And when in our history did a successful Presidential candidate make it his purpose to disrespect certain states that he calculates he won't win?

Did Reagan do that? His overall electability is sinking. He comes up short on judgment, in spite of his lofty credentials.

Eligibility is an unresolved issue as well. He slips a point here, two points there, and soon he is clearly finished.

And that is not even considering if he is out of range of a majority of voters on issues, or not?

--Abortion in cases of rape and incest
--Deporting citizen children with their illegal parents?
--Gathering data for national security (NSA)

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

HAPPY2BME

And that is not even considering if he is out of range of a majority of voters on issues, or not?

--Abortion in cases of rape and incest
--Deporting citizen children with their illegal parents?
--Gathering data for national security (NSA)

===================================================

Ask yourself who will get the swing vote - Donald Trump or Ted Cruz?

Offline truth_seeker

I think Trump would be a stronger candidate with "swing" "independents" "middle-of-the-roaders" etc.

One reason is that Trump has avoided the far-right social issues, where Cruz is locked into the extreme but unpopular positions, on abortion, gays, etc.

On style--

I see Trump as being able to talk "with" people, draw them in by "explaining...."

I see Cruz talking "at" people, and "telling" them with his know-it-all persona....

So if stuck with these two choices, at this time, I lean towards Trump as being stronger.

Subtle but important difference. In Cruz' courtroom, among fellow lawyers and judges, it may work to "tell," but in the bigger world outside the courtroom, one needs to "show" and "explain."

HAPPY2BME

I think Trump would be a stronger candidate with "swing" "independents" "middle-of-the-roaders" etc.

One reason is that Trump has avoided the far-right social issues, where Cruz is locked into the extreme but unpopular positions, on abortion, gays, etc.

You've got it.

The swing voters are going to elect the next POTUS.  It won't be 'the conservatives' or 'the liberals.'

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

You've got it.

The swing voters are going to elect the next POTUS.  It won't be 'the conservatives' or 'the liberals.'

Astute observation.

:thumbsup:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Totally agree!

HonestJohn

Yep.  Cruz will not be receiving any delegates from New York at the Republican national convention.  Writing off an entire state when fighting a difficult primary battle is stupid.  How many mid-west state primaries will he have to win just to break even, now?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:04:44 am by HonestJohn »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Yep.  Cruz will not be receiving any delegates from New York at the Republican national convention.  Writing off an entire state when fighting a difficult primary battle is stupid.  How many mid-west state primaries will he have to win just to break even, now?

Hate to say it and it's always been in the back of my mind, but I don't think he can win. 

Would LOVE to see him on the Supreme Court though!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline truth_seeker

The idea a candidate would speak so negatively about a state, shows he is too smart for his own good.

Intelligent-sure. Common sense smarts-no.

Offline musiclady

Neither.

Marco Rubio has the best chance to capture the swing voter.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

The idea a candidate would speak so negatively about a state, shows he is too smart for his own good.

Intelligent-sure. Common sense smarts-no.

It was a dumb thing to say, even though most non-New York Americans know exactly what he was talking about.

But it's not so dumb that he can't recover from it.

Lots of time left, and I think he's smart enough in both senses to figure out how to correct his mistake.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline libertybele

It was a dumb thing to say, even though most non-New York Americans know exactly what he was talking about.

But it's not so dumb that he can't recover from it.

Lots of time left, and I think he's smart enough in both senses to figure out how to correct his mistake.

I agree.  He came back with an apology; apologizing for liberals.  I think Trump's proclamations regarding New York and his liberalism is very very clear in this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHAHKGP10yc
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:01:04 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.