Author Topic: Trump Gave $50k to McConnell to Defeat Tea Partier Bevin  (Read 3950 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Trump Gave $50k to McConnell to Defeat Tea Partier Bevin
« on: January 18, 2016, 03:16:35 am »
Donald Trump has been trying to burnish his conservative credentials in his recent attacks on other Republican candidates. Despite his normal attacks on Lindsey Graham and Jeb Bush, he has now taken to attacking Ted Cruz, calling him an "ultimate hypocrite" and implying that he is ineligible to run for the Presidency.

Now it is revealed that Trump attacked current Kentucky Governor and former Senate candidate Matt Bevin. Before Bevin's victory last November he attempted to unseat Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell in the 2014 Senate primary.

Bevin lost the primary and McConnell went on to win in the general election. Part of McConnell's victory was predicated on outside funding.

At least $50,000 of which came from Donald Trump. Trump donated to the pro-McConnell PAC Kentuckians for Strong Leadership. The information can be found on the FEC webpage with the original document dated May 21, 2013.

How Trump's role in that election will affect his relationship with Bevin or the Presidential race is unsure. However, he had a clear opportunity to assist a Tea Party candidate versus and establishment figure and failed to do so.

http://www.punditpress.com/2016/01/trump-gave-50k-to-mcconnell-to-defeat.html

Never heard of the site before, so I don't know how they sharpen their axes, but they do direct link to the FEC filing in the story.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Trump Gave $50k to McConnell to Defeat Tea Partier Bevin
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 03:18:40 am »
Interesting find EC.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 03:23:03 am »
Wasn't me finding it. Guy I used to work with sent it me.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 03:26:08 am »
If you donate money to Mitch McConnel you might be a liberal.    :silly:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 05:51:13 am »
How very disappointing.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 08:14:44 am »
If you donate money to Mitch McConnel you might be a liberal.

Quote of the day.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 08:17:07 am »
Mitch McConnell Is Vowing To 'Crush' The Tea Party Everywhere

Mar. 9, 2014,

Republican Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell predicted the GOP establishment will destroy conservative insurgents attempting to unseat a trio of incumbents in an interview with The New York Times published Sunday.

"I think we are going to crush them everywhere," McConnell said. "I don’t think they are going to have a single nominee anywhere in the country."

http://www.businessinsider.com/mitch-mcconnell-crush-conservative-insurgents-2014-3

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 09:44:40 pm »
What's that, Lassie?

*crickets*

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 09:49:57 pm »
How very disappointing.

But not really surprising................
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 09:51:05 pm »
Another unfair attack on Our DonaldTM. Of course he donates to liberals, RINOs, and the establishment. It is just business. It is how you get things done in politics. It is expected you throw a little shine the way of some lawmakers to get the deal. Our DonaldTM is the gratest, biggest, and best deal maker of our history so of course, he is going to be buying off whomever he needs to and making sure he is part of that process. He didn't become a billionaire many times over and as successful as he has by being honest and above par. No, you have to get dirty to get things done and Our DonaldTM is the one man who has shown ethics don't matter, only getting his way does.

So lay off Our DonaldTM, everyone is just jealous of his billions, his hot daughter, his multiple wives, and their vast tracts of land.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 09:52:15 pm »
If you donate money to Mitch McConnel you might be a liberal.

I'm thinking Trump paid it as cheap insurance to keep McConnell from costing him way more than that...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 09:52:59 pm »
and their vast tracts of land.
There will be no singing in this thread!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 11:19:30 pm »
I'm thinking Trump paid it as cheap insurance to keep McConnell from costing him way more than that...
I don't understand what you mean. How would McConnell cost Trump?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 12:29:27 am »

Donald Trump gave political donations to everybody. (R) and (D) and everyone in between.

This following gives an insight into the world of multi-billionaire businessmen. This donation was made before Trump decided to run for the presidency himself: 

April 17, 2014, 12:48 pm
Donald Trump makes donation to Ted Cruz

Hotel magnate Donald Trump donated $5,000 to Sen. Ted Cruz’s leadership PAC in January, according to new campaign records.

Trump’s show of support for the Texas Republican's leadership PAC — the maximum allowed under the law per election cycle — is an indication that the men are becoming political allies.

The relationship between Trump and Cruz initially appeared to get off to a rocky start. In August, Trump said he wasn’t sure whether Cruz could be president because he was born in Canada.

But in the months that followed, Trump has spoken favorably about the Tea Party darling, who has been faring well in polls of possible 2016 contenders while making trips to Iowa, New Hampshire and Florida.

At a Republican event at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Club in Florida, Trump called Cruz a “very special guy.”

“One of the reasons I like Ted Cruz so much, is that he’s not controversial,” he said at the Palm Beach County Republican Party’s Lincoln Day Dinner in February, drawing laughs from the crowd.

More at link

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/fundraising/203784-donald-trump-makes-donation-to-ted-cruz

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 12:35:34 am »
Do you have documentation that Trump gave money to Matt Bevin, aligncare?

Because that's the issue here.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 01:35:48 am »
Do you have documentation that Trump gave money to Matt Bevin, aligncare?

Because that's the issue here.
He probably didn't, because Bevin wasn't in power yet.

The super-rich regularly donate to whatever politician is in power. It buys influence. It doesn't matter what affiliation you are. But Matt Bevin wasn't in office yet. He is now a Governor, so if Trump or any other wealthy businessman were to do business in Kentucky he'd probably make a sizable donation to Bevin's campaign funds.

To me, it just goes to show that Trump isn't independent of the system he so reviles. He's just on the other side of it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 01:58:32 am »
To me, it just goes to show that Trump isn't independent of the system he so reviles. He's just on the other side of it.

I agree and disagree: he is a creature of the system he claims to revile, and there is no "other side".  It's all the same side.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 02:54:48 am »
I agree and disagree: he is a creature of the system he claims to revile, and there is no "other side".  It's all the same side.

If I remember, that's one of the motivations for Trump getting in the race. He said he'd like to change things. For instance, the waste in fedgov construction projects.

The final cost of the new 13-building Veterans Affairs medical center in Aurora, CO topped $2 billion. Trump looked at it and estimated he could have built 4-5 hospitals for what the government wasted. Overruns in infrastructure costs are an area he says he can fix. With his decades of experience in construction, I believe him.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 05:08:45 am »
There will be no singing in this thread!
ni

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 03:34:52 pm »
I don't understand what you mean. How would McConnell cost Trump?

By the tax and regulatory proposals he does or does not support...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 03:37:19 pm »

Aren't we all just 'the other side' of the system? 

You pay the taxes and participate in the elections that 'the system' allows don't you?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2016, 03:57:49 pm »
Aren't we all just 'the other side' of the system? 

Don't know about you, but I haven't bought a politician recently.

The problem is that a man who rails AGAINST the current system, and who is seen as outside that system - he boasts of it! - paid serious wedge to MAINTAIN the system.

The final cost of the new 13-building Veterans Affairs medical center in Aurora, CO topped $2 billion. Trump looked at it and estimated he could have built 4-5 hospitals for what the government wasted. Overruns in infrastructure costs are an area he says he can fix. With his decades of experience in construction, I believe him.

Totally irrelevant to this discussion, but, for the sake of argument:

Trump claims to be shit hot on veterans issues. Maybe he is, I don't know, but since EVERY politician uses veterans as a convenient vote getter then forgets about them, forgive me for being cynical here. The guy runs a big business, heavily involved in building. He's good at it, I grant him that. So why the hell, if he's so concerned about vets (and government waste), didn't he BID on the damned hospital build? It's not even out of his regular line of business!

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2016, 04:12:20 pm »
Don't know about you, but I haven't bought a politician recently.

The problem is that a man who rails AGAINST the current system, and who is seen as outside that system - he boasts of it! - paid serious wedge to MAINTAIN the system.

Try thinking a little deeper...

Offline Longiron

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2016, 04:16:22 pm »
Donald Trump gave political donations to everybody. (R) and (D) and everyone in between.

This following gives an insight into the world of multi-billionaire businessmen. This donation was made before Trump decided to run for the presidency himself: 

April 17, 2014, 12:48 pm
Donald Trump makes donation to Ted Cruz

Hotel magnate Donald Trump donated $5,000 to Sen. Ted Cruz’s leadership PAC in January, according to new campaign records.

Trump’s show of support for the Texas Republican's leadership PAC — the maximum allowed under the law per election cycle — is an indication that the men are becoming political allies.

The relationship between Trump and Cruz initially appeared to get off to a rocky start. In August, Trump said he wasn’t sure whether Cruz could be president because he was born in Canada.

But in the months that followed, Trump has spoken favorably about the Tea Party darling, who has been faring well in polls of possible 2016 contenders while making trips to Iowa, New Hampshire and Florida.

At a Republican event at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Club in Florida, Trump called Cruz a “very special guy.”

“One of the reasons I like Ted Cruz so much, is that he’s not controversial,” he said at the Palm Beach County Republican Party’s Lincoln Day Dinner in February, drawing laughs from the crowd.

More at link

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/fundraising/203784-donald-trump-makes-donation-to-ted-cruz

Ouch! the CRUZBOTs are not going to like that but they are ok with it. BUT anyone else he is NOT a conservative? :silly:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 04:37:50 pm »
Greedy and corrupt politicians designed a system where if you want to be successful - you pay to play.  Some politicians cost more than others - Bitch McConnell is top rung and very powerful.  You cannot blame business for that - blame government.  It's like blaming the wife whose husband beats her.

Trump knows the "other side" of their system from the inside on the top level.  In fact, he knows who the biggest benefactors are from the system they created - that's why they don't want him in there.....he knows where the closets are with the skeletons.   :nometalk:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!