Author Topic: Cruz Killed for ‘New York Values’ Comment, But Most Americans Agree  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Paladin

"Killed" is certainly too strong a word. He has received some criticism from the usual suspects but few outside NYC are really offended, appeals to the pathos following 9/11 not withstanding.

"Media personalities and political commentators immediately jumped on the Trump bandwagon, attacking Cruz for his remark about New Yorkers. Pictures of firefighters and police offers standing in the rubble of the World Trade Center buildings in 2001 exploded across social media with the hashtag “NYValues.”

The New York Daily News, in another desperate attempt to be relevant, ran the headline, “Drop Dead, Ted” on the front page, alongside a picture of the Statue of Liberty directing an obscene gesture toward Cruz.

[snip]

Independent data actually seems to vindicate Cruz’ comments. According to a story run, quite ironically, by the New York Daily News, a poll of 1,600 Americans conducted by Business Insider in 2013 revealed, “[n]ot surprisingly,” New York was considered to be “both the rudest and most arrogant state.”

In a Huffington Post article about the same poll, writer Inae Oh, acknowledges the survey results about New Yorkers is “(s)hocking no one.”

Admittedly, the word “values” encompasses more than just how people are treated, but is anyone really going to argue New York politics, especially in New York City, is reflective of what the rest of the nation experiences? This is a city that elects politicians who want to tax sugary drinks, that actually tries to throw stay-at-home moms (who are also Iraq War veterans) in jail for having handguns that would be considered legal in almost every other state, and New York is a state that has long supported providing additional rights and benefits for gay couples.

Whether you agree or disagree with those policies, it’s clear New York is definitely not like most of America. That’s not to say New York is a bad place to live; it’s definitely not. New Yorkers have a lot to be proud of, but Cruz’ comments are, generally speaking, in line with what much of America thinks about New York.

As a Northeasterner, the rage against Cruz seems a bit ridiculous and immensely hypocritical. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard New Yorkers and others from the Northeast bash Southerners, and Texans specifically, for “sounding dumb,” being a bunch of “backwoods rednecks,” and for being gun-obsessed.

As Cruz rightly pointed out, it was President Barack Obama himself who once referred to Americans living in rural America as “bitter” people who “cling to their guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”

New Yorkers can say they’re outraged, but deep in their hearts, they know that more than any other group of people in the United States, New Yorkers often look down on the rest of the nation.

Or, as one proud New York Twitter user put it, “I know, nothing exists west of the Hudson River.”

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/cruz-killed-for-new-york-valuescomment-but-most-americans-agree/

It is more than their "values", such as they are. NYC, as Ted Pointed out, is well known as a bastion of Liberalism. For criminy sake, the mayor there is unregenerate Marxist de Blasio. As I said earlier, screw 'em.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:14:23 am by Paladin »
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

HAPPY2BME

Re: Cruz Killed for ‘New York Values’ Comment, But Most Americans Agree
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 12:23:15 pm »
Independent data actually seems to vindicate Cruz’ comments. According to a story run, quite ironically, by the New York Daily News, a poll of 1,600 Americans conducted by Business Insider in 2013 revealed, “[n]ot surprisingly,” New York was considered to be “both the rudest and most arrogant state.”

==========================================

Why do you think Bill and Hillary love it so much in NEW YORK?  They fit right in.

Travel from Jersey or New York down to Florida and the rudest people you will come across are from ... New York and New Jersey.