Author Topic: Ted Cruz issues 'apology' to New Yorkers in response to 'New York values' comments  (Read 3112 times)

Offline flowers

http://abc7ny.com/politics/ted-cruz-issues-apology-to-new-yorkers-in-response-to-new-york-values-comments/1160853/

POLITICS
Ted Cruz issues 'apology' to New Yorkers in response to 'New York values' comments
Ted Cruz issues 'apology' to New Yorkers for controversial comments
Dave Evans has the details from Midtown.
WABC
Eyewitness News
Updated 46 mins ago
NEW YORK (WABC) --
Republican Presidential candidate Ted Cruz has issued an "apology" in response to the outrage by New Yorkers after his "New York values" comments during the GOP debate Thursday night.

"You're right, Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton and Andrew Cuomo and Bill de Blasio," have asked me to apologize," Cruz said. "I apologize to the millions of New Yorkers who've been let down by liberal politicians."

Cruz continued with a litany of "apologies" to jab at Governor Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio.

He apologized to those "denied jobs because Gov. Cuomo won't allow fracking."

He apologized to the New Yorkers who are "pro-life and pro-marriage and pro-second amendment who were told by Gov. Cuomo they have no place in New York."

He apologized to the "African American children who Mayor de Blasio tried to throw out of their charter schools that were providing a pipeline to American Dream."

He also apologized to New York law enforcement and first responders who de Blasio doesn't stand with and instead "stands with looters and criminals."

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Those are the exact apologies they deserve!  :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline flowers

Yes it is!   :patriot:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

He turned the attack around. Smart cookie that Cruz.

HAPPY2BME

Lupica: There's just no 'value' to Ted Cruz and his criticism to ‘New York values'

This is what Ted Cruz, who wasn’t just born out of town but out of the country, said about Donald Trump the other day:

“Donald comes from New York and he embodies New York values.” And made it sound as if this was some variation of insulting Trump about his hair.

Later Cruz kept digging, telling Megyn Kelly of “Fox News” that New York values weren’t Iowa values or New Hampshire values, as if he is suddenly as big an expert on values as he says he is on the Constitution. Finally on Thursday night he brought his cockeyed theories about the city to the Republican debate in South Carolina.

“Everybody understands that the values in New York City are socially liberal and pro-abortion and pro-gay marriage,” he said. “And focus on money and the media.” This was right before Trump turned and calmly took him apart again for insulting the city the way he has.

Ted Cruz, who only comes here with his hand out, has decided that the most diverse city the world has ever known is filled with people who all think alike. He sounds in these moments like as slow a thinker as we have ever had run for President.

If you are dumb enough to think that New York values are some sort of handicap in this presidential season, then you are as dumb and tone deaf as Jesse Jackson was calling the city “Hymietown,” as dumb as Gerald Ford was when he gave this paper the most famous front page in its history, the day he effectively told New York to drop dead.

The next time Cruz shows up here he should tear himself away from his friends at Goldman Sachs and make a side trip to the Bronx and explain himself there on New York values; or to the Lower East Side, or Williamsburg, Brooklyn, or Jamaica, Queens, or 125th St. in Harlem. He should go talk to people in the Rockaways or Staten Island, the hardened survivors who bound together after Hurricane Sandy, about New York values. Or finally he should go all the way downtown, and back to September 2001.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/lupica-ted-cruz-new-york-city-values-9-11-heroes-article-1.2497009

Offline Right_in_Virginia

A little too clever, IMO. He's played to his limited base, but he's not apologized for the insult.  And he keeps the story alive.

But good for him.   He's forfeited New York.  And probably New Jersey.    :shrug:

HAPPY2BME

If there is one thing I agree with Ted Cruz on, it is on the hatefulness of the people of New York City.

Add most of New Jersey.

If there is one thing I stumble on about Donald Trump it is the fact that he is from New York City, one of the most perverted, corrupt, despicable places on earth.

Have you ever overheard (like on a cruise ship) North Easterners (you know who) talking trash about every one and any one live in the South?

I'm sure Trump has been on both the giving and receiving end of many of those conversations.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Wow.  Mr. Cruz is quite the "uniter".   :whistle:

Offline Carling

Wow.  Mr. Cruz is quite the "uniter".   :whistle:

I'm not sure what you mean, but I certainly don't want a "Uniter" right now from a GOP president.  This a plus for me in the Cruz column.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 01:17:25 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Right_in_Virginia wrote above:
"But good for him.   He's forfeited New York.  And probably New Jersey."

It's ok.
Ted Cruz wasn't going to win there, anyway.
None of the Republicans could.
Pretty much a foregone conclusion.

Except for... you know... that guy with the funny hair...

HAPPY2BME

Right_in_Virginia wrote above:
"But good for him.   He's forfeited New York.  And probably New Jersey."

It's ok.
Ted Cruz wasn't going to win there, anyway.
None of the Republicans could.
Pretty much a foregone conclusion.

Except for... you know... that guy with the funny hair...

============================================

Blood is thicker than water.

And IMO, NJ and NY blood is really, really thick.

Online libertybele

:beer: :patriot:  Yes indeed!

Ted Cruz 2016.  Reigniting the Promise of America! 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
What happened to Ted?  What did he calculate he would gain by this statement?  He's a principled conservative that was taking the high road and his poll numbers were going in the right direction and he should have stayed the course.  He sure didn't need to diss New York to gain ground in Iowa, did he?  He is limiting his ability to gain crossover votes, limiting his ability to win. 

I guess we'll see in the next few days if this is a winning strategy for him. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

HAPPY2BME

What happened to Ted?  What did he calculate he would gain by this statement?  He's a principled conservative that was taking the high road and his poll numbers were going in the right direction and he should have stayed the course.  He sure didn't need to diss New York to gain ground in Iowa, did he?  He is limiting his ability to gain crossover votes, limiting his ability to win. 

======================================

As mentioned earlier, the entire NE is liberal Democrat, which is a write-off anyway regardless of who is running.

What GOP candidate could carry the NE?

Offline aligncare

======================================

As mentioned earlier, the entire NE is liberal Democrat, which is a write-off anyway regardless of who is running.

What GOP candidate could carry the NE?

Trump stands a chance to carry NY, PA, NJ, MA.

Hey, could happen. One thing is for sure. Trump will fight for every state, even the blue ones.

Online libertybele

I was thinking that he should have stayed the course as it was obviously working for him as well, but he is being bombarded with attacks from everybody and their brother as he is certainly more of a threat to Trump than any of the other candidates and Rubio needs to get past him in order to gain in the polls.  The establishment on both sides hate him (something Cruz should be proud of) and are scared to death that there is a possibility that he could win; indeed shaking up the Washington Cartel.The growing consensus was that Trump was more of a fighter than Cruz, Cruz isn't aggressive enough, etc. IMHO, now is the time Cruz needs to rise up and show everyone what he's made of.  He's got to take either Iowa or New Hampshire to stay in the game against Trump. Iowa is within his grasp, but Trump is far ahead of him in New Hampshire and Rubio is on his coattails. It's either sink or swim for him right now. Cruz has a lot of money to give him some staying power, but Trump can outspend him into oblivion and that's the unfortunate reality. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline alicewonders

I was thinking that he should have stayed the course as it was obviously working for him as well, but he is being bombarded with attacks from everybody and their brother as he is certainly more of a threat to Trump than any of the other candidates and Rubio needs to get past him in order to gain in the polls.  The establishment on both sides hate him (something Cruz should be proud of) and are scared to death that there is a possibility that he could win; indeed shaking up the Washington Cartel.The growing consensus was that Trump was more of a fighter than Cruz, Cruz isn't aggressive enough, etc. IMHO, now is the time Cruz needs to rise up and show everyone what he's made of.  He's got to take either Iowa or New Hampshire to stay in the game against Trump. Iowa is within his grasp, but Trump is far ahead of him in New Hampshire and Rubio is on his coattails. It's either sink or swim for him right now. Cruz has a lot of money to give him some staying power, but Trump can outspend him into oblivion and that's the unfortunate reality.

I understand what you're saying.  I think, in hindsight (which is always 20/20), he should have attacked Trump and not included New York.  It did provide an opening for Trump to respond as he did, which I thought was a brilliant response. 

I always think that Cruz is the best at these debates, but this time I though Donald Trump greatly improved his style and responses.  I can think of three times he really elevated himself.  Cruz was winning until the NY thing and he seemed a bit somber after that.

:shrug:

I understand why he had to start fighting back though and I really do wish him the best.  I like them both!

Offline GourmetDan

Brooks cites Cruz's 'dark and satanic tones'

"Ted Cruz may have made great inroads with Christian evangelicals, but conservative New York Times columnist David Brooks isn’t buying the candidate’s “dark and satanic tones.”"

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline alicewonders

Brooks cites Cruz's 'dark and satanic tones'

"Ted Cruz may have made great inroads with Christian evangelicals, but conservative New York Times columnist David Brooks isn’t buying the candidate’s “dark and satanic tones.”"

It is funny!  I like it when they are "exposing" some Republican for being gay - isn't that supposed to be good?

Or when they quote the Bible for why we should take in refugees - I thought they hated that old book!

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Is Cruz already set on the list of states he will sarcastically dismiss, since he calculates he doesn't need them?

It could conceivably turn out that the national nomination is decided by a state, which Cruz has disrespected, along the lines of his tactics with his senate colleagues.

What if it turns out that later, Cruz dismisses/disrespects California. Then at the convention California's delegation can make or break his chances.

Regardless of the candidate, regardless of the state, he is using bad judgment going about his campaign in this manner.

If you don't "get" that convention delegate votes are at stake, from ALL states, then you might want to think it all through more carefully.

My appraisal of Cruz is that he has a tendency to be "too smart" and not capable of keeping his smart mouth shut when that is the most wise thing to do.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

What does it say about the values of the people of New York when they elect a woman with no values at all to serve them in the senate?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
As a debate rebuttal,  Cruz's response was brilliant.  As politics, to keep pushing this "New York values" shtick is beyond stupid.  Even if he's prepared to write off New York in the general,  it's still the second biggest pool of delegates to the GOP convention.   Why make enemies of New York Republicans?   
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 03:59:39 am by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
As a debate rebuttal,  Cruz's response was brilliant.  As politics, it was beyond stupid.  Even if he's prepared to write off New York in the general,  it's still the second biggest pool of delegates to the GOP convention.   Why make enemies of New York Republicans?
He is one of those guys that are so, so incredibly smart and intelligent, but my father would say some of them don't have common sense.

At some point even a genius comes to the awareness to quit pissing in the pool they also swim in.

I saw him tonight on Hannity, and part of the time he talks way over people's heads. It is like he has to prove how intelligent he is on an intellectual level.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline alicewonders

What does it say about the values of the people of New York when they elect a woman with no values at all to serve them in the senate?

I don't know Bigun.  What does it say about the values of the people of my state - Kentucky - when we elect a man like Mitch McConnell?

Sigh.

I can tell you that I, and many many others fought it tooth and nail.  30 years this man has come to us pounding on the podium that, "he's going to fix what's wrong in Washington".......and what is wrong is him!  No one that ever had a chance would dare run against him in his own party until Matt Bevin, and Mitch pulled out all the stops to smear him and defeat him.

He had the big money and the big machine - very difficult for anyone to overcome that.  Luckily, Bevin is now our new Governor - and that shows you that Kentucky valued this man. 

Back to the topic - what does it say about the people of New York?  The Washington machine is too big for almost anyone to defeat when you've got the big bucks working for you.

That's why Donald Trump is such an anomaly.  He can go up against the big machine and tell them to stick it........where the sun don't shine.